Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 5 days ago by Chrisl121070

MacsMom Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 3:20pm
post #5851 of 6516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea42

Another new cake to try! I love it.

You say you put the fruits in the processor. I would have thought you would use them it a more natural state (term?). How much did you pulverize them?




I pressed the button once very quickly to keep them in medium chunks of consistent size. I was afraid large pieces of fruit would create wet areas in the cake.

MacsMom Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 3:22pm
post #5852 of 6516
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

Why did you decide to substitute the water for the pineapple juice? Just curious. icon_smile.gif




With experience in adding juice, I didn't want to end up with an overly moist cake that might sink due to a higher sugar content.

MacsMom Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 3:24pm
post #5853 of 6516
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsweet

So, has anyone had problems with the reduce Betty Crocker cake mix. The mix has been reduce - it is now 15.25oz. or are just adding more mix. You don't even get 2-8" cakes as posted by others.




They are still 18.25 where I live...

justsweet Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 4:13pm
post #5854 of 6516
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsweet

So, has anyone had problems with the reduce Betty Crocker cake mix. The mix has been reduce - it is now 15.25oz. or are just adding more mix. You don't even get 2-8" cakes as posted by others.



They are still 18.25 where I live...




Very few stores have that size anymore. Some people did not even notice the less amount. I have a recipe that requires the cake mix. Did notice less batter for the pans, the cake tasted the same from the scraps I cut off the top of the cake. The cake is in the freezer but will be coming out for me test a design so at that time I will see if their is a major change to the cake.

Here is the link on BC mix
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-726828.html

MacsMom Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 8:31pm
post #5855 of 6516
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsweet

So, has anyone had problems with the reduce Betty Crocker cake mix. The mix has been reduce - it is now 15.25oz. or are just adding more mix. You don't even get 2-8" cakes as posted by others.



They are still 18.25 where I live...



Very few stores have that size anymore. Some people did not even notice the less amount. I have a recipe that requires the cake mix. Did notice less batter for the pans, the cake tasted the same from the scraps I cut off the top of the cake. The cake is in the freezer but will be coming out for me test a design so at that time I will see if their is a major change to the cake.

Here is the link on BC mix
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-726828.html




Funny, I was prepping to make a lemon cake today... yesterday I bought BC yellow cake mix to use and I jut noticed it is 15.25! It didn't make a difference that I could tell in my cake.

(I never buy yellow but Wal Mart was out of white)

jules5000 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 1:29am
post #5856 of 6516

macsmom: that ambrosia royale sounds divine. I will have to try to make it soon. and I saw that someone else asked you why you substituted the pineapple juice for water. What is your reason? I will look forward to hearing about it. Thank you again. Julie

GrandmaG Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 12:21pm
post #5857 of 6516
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

Why did you decide to substitute the water for the pineapple juice? Just curious. icon_smile.gif



With experience in adding juice, I didn't want to end up with an overly moist cake that might sink due to a higher sugar content.



This was her answer.

jules5000 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 1:50pm
post #5858 of 6516

macsmom: thanks for the answer. I would not have thought about there being a problem with substituting juice for water if it was the other way around and I would have wondered what went wrong. Thanks again.

labcat Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:31pm
post #5859 of 6516

I'm trying to adjust the WASC recipe for a mulled cider cake. My first test cake used a white cake base (1 box), I subbed apple cider in for 1 cup of the water and added some mulling spice to the batter but the overall flavor is too weak. It's a nice moist cake but I can't tell that it is apple cider or spiced.

Any suggestions to make it more mulled cider in taste?

LorAnn apple?

I also saw somewhere here about an apple cider cream cheese filling. How might I go about that? Any other filling suggestions?

GrandmaG Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:41pm
post #5860 of 6516
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcat

I'm trying to adjust the WASC recipe for a mulled cider cake. My first test cake used a white cake base (1 box), I subbed apple cider in for 1 cup of the water and added some mulling spice to the batter but the overall flavor is too weak. It's a nice moist cake but I can't tell that it is apple cider or spiced.

Any suggestions to make it more mulled cider in taste?

LorAnn apple?

I also saw somewhere here about an apple cider cream cheese filling. How might I go about that? Any other filling suggestions?



I think you need to use a spice cake mix for your WASC. Then use full cider for the liquid. Also add some cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice. I've neve used the LorAnn apple flavor but it couldn't hurt. icon_smile.gif

GrandmaG Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:49pm
post #5861 of 6516

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6613/apple-cider-cream-cheese-filling

I would use your LorAnn apple flavoring in this for sure.

Or maybe a caramel filling or frosting!

labcat Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:56pm
post #5862 of 6516

Thanks for the advice! I thought about using the spice mix but I was curious to see how the cider would come out in a white mix.... Since it wasn't all that great I'll try to modify the spice mix next.

Thanks for the recipe, I don't know why but I have hit or miss luck with the search engine on this site.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

MacsMom Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 5:44pm
post #5863 of 6516
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcat

Thanks for the advice! I thought about using the spice mix but I was curious to see how the cider would come out in a white mix.... Since it wasn't all that great I'll try to modify the spice mix next.

Thanks for the recipe, I don't know why but I have hit or miss luck with the search engine on this site.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.




For a true apple cider taste that is is easier to accomplish without fussing with various spices and amounts, just toss a packet or two of instant cider mix (that stuff you find by the hot cocoa)... but reduce the sugar by 1/4 cup, unless you use sugar-free cider mix.

yummy Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 6:10pm
post #5864 of 6516

My white cake batter isn't white because I use whole eggs...what will using egg whites do to the texture of the cake?

jules5000 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 6:30pm
post #5865 of 6516

Labcat: Did you just throw the spices in the cake batter for the mulling spices? I am wondering what might happen if you just mulled your applecider in a crock pot for a few hours and got a really nice strong flavoring in there and then used the mulled applecider for your liquid? I don't know where you live either, but where I live they have Cider mill near by(in kansas actually) called the Louisburg cider mill. They make wonderful apple cider and it is not the clear cider. This has all the good stuff with it. trying the spice cake is one idea, and I have not made one for almost a year so I don't remember much about how strong the spices are in this cake, but I would almost wonder if they would not disguise your mulled apple cider flavorings. I would maybe try a yellow cake mix and then your already mulled applecider and if the batter did not taste as strong as you would like it to then add a little Lorann apple flavoring and any thing else that might complement the flavors already in the mulling spices? Best wishes and let us know what else you have decided to try and what came out. We are all curous to know. Well I am sure that I am not the only one who wants to know what else you try with this. Thanks.

labcat Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 7:00pm
post #5866 of 6516
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom


For a true apple cider taste that is is easier to accomplish without fussing with various spices and amounts, just toss a packet or two of instant cider mix (that stuff you find by the hot cocoa)... but reduce the sugar by 1/4 cup, unless you use sugar-free cider mix.




I had thought of those too but I wasn't sure what to do about the sugar content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules5000

Did you just throw the spices in the cake batter for the mulling spices? I am wondering what might happen if you just mulled your applecider in a crock pot for a few hours and got a really nice strong flavoring in there and then used the mulled applecider for your liquid?




For this test cake, yes I did just add the spices to batter. I'll more than likely try this version too and see which works best.

Once I get it sorted out I'll let everyone know how it turned out. icon_biggrin.gif

Smokey5266 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 8:26pm
post #5867 of 6516

Once upon a time I thought I saw a cherry cake recipe with lime buttercream. Anyone remember it? I can't seem to find it thanks

jules5000 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 12:51am
post #5868 of 6516

I sure don't, but am eager to try all these new combinations that I have heard about on here.

micnmax2003 Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 1:22am
post #5869 of 6516

okay, somewhere from pg 1-75 I found & wrote down a recipe for peanut butter WASC from macsmom, which I have now misplaced. I checked the recipes in the documents but the recipe there is NOT a WASC version (BC version); can anyone help? It was to make the FUNKY MONKEY cake if it helps....

micnmax2003 Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 1:59am
post #5871 of 6516

Thank you imagenthatnj! that is the recipe thumbs_up.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 2:12am
post #5872 of 6516

Google is the best thing ever. Just went there and typed "cake central macsmom funky monkey" and it took me right to the the page! Glad that is what you were looking for.

I haven't even gone past page 2 of this thread.

micnmax2003 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 1:59am
post #5873 of 6516

Peanut Butter Cake

2 pkgs white cake mix
1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 cups coffee creamer
1 c upsbutter, softened
8 egg whites

The peanut butter cake rises a lot, so careful not to fill your pans too full. And just to be sure everyone saw my note; use white cake mix--not butter recipe yellow--for the peanut butter cake.

Question: when making the cake above (macsmom's recipe) do I still make the WASC w/ additional flour, sugar, water, veg oil & sour cream? I'm thinking no on the veg oil b/c of the butter & flour/sugar b/c it is a WASC but am confused where the pb & creamer comes in....
icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Darstus Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 2:27am
post #5874 of 6516

save

sdpenrn Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 5:06pm
post #5875 of 6516

Thanks everyone! I have lots of ideas to work off of.

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 5:45pm
post #5876 of 6516

Oh I just noticed that peanut butter cake!! Sounds delish!! icon_biggrin.gif

jules5000 Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 12:27am
post #5877 of 6516

macsmom: can you please send us all the banana filling recipe that you use for your funky monkey cake? thank you very much.

huskerfan Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 2:32pm
post #5878 of 6516

Macsmom help please......How do you go about making a dulce de leche cake? I have googled it to death and can't come up with anything. icon_cry.gif Its for a wedding cake coming up in three weeks. Thanks again so much for all of your out of this world wonderful recipes and ideas!!!!!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 3:53pm
post #5879 of 6516
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules5000

macsmom: can you please send us all the banana filling recipe that you use for your funky monkey cake? thank you very much.




If you check the info in my signature, it has the links to all the recipes AND fillings in this thread.

Spicygirl6975 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:33am
post #5880 of 6516

I am new on CC and I would like to say how wonderful and helpful this thread is. I found this thread late yesterday afternoon and couldn't break away from it until 3 am and didn't even put a dent in all the posts. Even though I am new I would like to make some suggestions and hopefully help with some of the issues I was reading early on in this thread.

People were having issues and said it was because they used Duncan Hines mix. Cake collapsing in the center and or overflowing. Regardless what mix or recipe you use and you double the recipe you should decrease the liquid otherwise the batter can be too liquidy. The batter should be at a medium consistensy. Filling the pans
1/2 to 2/3 full.

I didn't see anywhere on here stating ALL ingredients should be at room temperature. That can cause issues with the baking process.

When using oil you MUST slowly...very slowly add to your batter while mixing. It allows the oil to thoroughly get mixed into the cake.

If I have to use a cake mix I sift the mix 3 times. It allows all the clumps to get separated. You never know how long the box cake mix has sat on the shelf.

I always combine my flour, baking powder, and/or soda together and sift before adding to the mix.

These are just a few things that have popped in my mind. I hope it helps...i know it has me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%