Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

michelec65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michelec65 Posted 25 Feb 2016 , 6:38pm
post #6421 of 6536

Awesome flavor combinations!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 25 Feb 2016 , 8:07pm
post #6422 of 6536

It is amazing to me that this thread is still active.  I still come back to the recipes when there is something in particular that I need to make ... thanks to MacsMom and all of the other bakers who contributed to the collection!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 26 Feb 2016 , 4:10pm
post #6423 of 6536

For the Champagne flavor I sue Amoretti Champagne compound.  

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 26 Feb 2016 , 4:11pm
post #6424 of 6536

Sorry I meant "use".  For some reason it won't let me edit my post ;-)

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 12:38am
post #6425 of 6536

For champagne I use a touch of almond extract and a touch of rum extract. When in a pinch, 7-Up substitutes just fine when used with almond and rum flavoring.

Gator Gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gator Gal Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 1:39am
post #6426 of 6536

MacsMom, do you actually use champagne and enhance the flavor with the almond and rum extracts?  I actually bought some champagne extract which was pretty good but the flavor isn't very vibrant.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 8:41pm
post #6427 of 6536

I have nothing at all to add to that list of flavors!!!

I have done multiple flavors for friends' weddings the only thing I would like to suggest is to place a little framed menu of the cupcake and icing flavors so that guests may choose the one(s) they want and stay away from any that may contain something they can not eat or do not like.  Guests really appreciate that.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 11:05pm
post #6428 of 6536

Really funcakes how can one stay away  from something that a guest cannot eat or does not like when often we are making wedding cakes for up to 200 people?   Yes, it's nice when there are many cake flavors to choose from to have a framed menu but that should be up to the bride to do.

MacsMom Posted 4 Mar 2016 , 5:11am
post #6429 of 6536

I use the cheapest champagne I can buy and enhance the flavor with rum and almond. It gives the cake a softer crumb, but not too soft to use fondant.

MacsMom Posted 4 Mar 2016 , 5:15am
post #6430 of 6536

Yes, funcakes! When the client has chosen several flavors for cupcakes at their event, those framed signs are a great touch!

Msworld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Msworld Posted 4 Mar 2016 , 11:50am
post #6431 of 6536

Hi,

You mentioned Cake Bible and Cake Book, who are the authors?

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 4 Mar 2016 , 1:55pm
post #6432 of 6536

This is a great thread, glad it keeps coming up.  Thanks to all who shared such great flavor combos.

Gator Gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gator Gal Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 1:31pm
post #6433 of 6536

MacsMom,  what about flavoring your buttercream?  Do you use champagne, almond, and rum to get that same flavor?  Brides cake is strawberry but she wants champagne buttercream. 

kakeladi Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 3:48pm
post #6434 of 6536

Whatever flavoring you end up choosing use plenty of it.   Most people/recipes use only 1/2 to 1 teaspoon but if you amp it up to 1 Tablespoon you will find a much tastier version.  

My favorite is 1 part vanilla to1/2 part butter flavoring to 1/4 part almond.  A "part" is whatever measure you want to use be it a teaspoon, tablespoon, cup or quart or ??.  The important part is to keep the ratio.

MacsMom Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 10:08pm
post #6435 of 6536

I would go with rum, but NOT Lorann rum (it's way too strong and artificial tasting - I do love most of their flavorings, though). My latest favorite inexpensive flavoring is Watkins, but Schillings rum flavor is fine. The best flavorings in my opinion are Silver Cloud Estates, but they are costly.

Almond flavoring is usually paired with cherry; that is the only reason it throws me off.

bisonbakingmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisonbakingmom Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 12:02am
post #6436 of 6536

Amazing ideas!

cjlpn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjlpn Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 11:45pm
post #6437 of 6536

Love all the info

kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 1 Apr 2016 , 12:57am
post #6438 of 6536

OMG Macsmom, we have a bakery supply store close to me that I frequent more than I care to admit, and that is where I bought my first Silver Cloud flavor. It was absolutely amazing and so much better than anything else including the Loranns. yes, they are expensive but so worth it as I find I don't have to use as much.

post #6439 of 6536

OMG Macsmom, we have a bakery supply store close to me that I frequent more than I care to admit, and that is where I bought my first Silver Cloud flavor. It was absolutely amazing and so much better than anything else including the Loranns. yes, they are expensive but so worth it as I find I don't have to use as much.

post #6440 of 6536

post #6441 of 6536

post #6442 of 6536

funzo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funzo Posted 4 Apr 2016 , 3:45pm
post #6443 of 6536

What an awesome discussion thread! I've spend almost a week going through and read up on this. a HUGE thank you yo Macs Mom and Chef_Stef for posting all the flavors! Thank you Macs Mom for all the trouble shooting tips and recipes! I am fairly new on CC but have been reading on the forum on and off for a few years.

I've had problem with Sam's Club's But-R-creme, as I mixed it with Orange Marmalade for flavoring, it became a "slippery" that when I layered my cakes, the layers didn't stay put... Any thought?

funzo Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 9:11pm
post #6444 of 6536

Hi Macsmom,

Do you have any preference in terms of Bettercreme, Frostin Pride or Pastry Pride?  Also do you mainly use them as filling or both as filling and icing?  TIA!

sugarbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbritches Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 10:54pm
post #6445 of 6536

OH my gosh I am SOOO excited with the list of ideas!  Wish I had recipes for all of them!!!

kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 11:16pm
post #6446 of 6536

To funzo:  Pastry Pride was never meant to be used as a cake icing.  Years ago when I spoke to the company they were appalled to hear it was being used like that.  Frostin' Pride is what we should be using.  It holds up better, takes color better and  is easier to work when 'frosting' your cakes.   Pastry Pride can be used for fillings.  

I remember one time calling them to ask how long/well it would hold up in 90 degree F heat they said they weren't sure, would find out & call me back.  It was the middle of an unusual hot spell where I lived ( their business was located just a hour N of me).  An hour later they called back and told me they had quickly frosted a small layer and set it outside to get the answer.  Less than 30 minutes they had soup LOL!  How's that for a scientific answer? :)

kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 11:16pm
post #6447 of 6536

To funzo:  Pastry Pride was never meant to be used as a cake icing.  Years ago when I spoke to the company they were appalled to hear it was being used like that.  Frostin' Pride is what we should be using.  It holds up better, takes color better and  is easier to work when 'frosting' your cakes.   Pastry Pride can be used for fillings.  

I remember one time calling them to ask how long/well it would hold up in 90 degree F heat they said they weren't sure, would find out & call me back.  It was the middle of an unusual hot spell where I lived ( their business was located just a hour N of me).  An hour later they called back and told me they had quickly frosted a small layer and set it outside to get the answer.  Less than 30 minutes they had soup LOL!  How's that for a scientific answer? :)

funzo Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 12:59am
post #6448 of 6536

Hi kakelady, 

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate this very much! I be sure to use Frostin Pride for "frosting" the cake and Pastry Pride to make the fillings!

BTW, AWESOME Original WASC recipe! It is totally a no-fail recipe :)

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 2:26pm
post #6449 of 6536
sugarbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbritches Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 2:34pm
post #6450 of 6536

Yes I do now!  I hadn't realized when j started reading this thread that it began in 2009 and that it now had 215 comments with recipes etc.  What a goldmine!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%