Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

Noura80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noura80 Posted 2 May 2012 , 7:54am
post #6031 of 6536

Hi Everyone,

A few days ago I had dinner with DH in an Italian restaurant. and for dessert he had this pastry filled with Nutella, Mascarpone , nougat and drizzling of caramel. On the side it had ice cream. It tasted heavenly and I had to ignore my Pana Cotta just to eat that pastry with DH.

My question is, do you think it would be a good filling? And do you think it would pair up with vanilla cake or chocolate cake?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 24 May 2012 , 4:05pm
post #6032 of 6536

I didn't get a notification to your reply! That sounds amazing!!

Yes, I would definitely use that in cake. Maybe a caramel cake? But either white or chocolate or even cafe late flavor would be great, too.

MacsMom Posted 24 May 2012 , 4:13pm
post #6033 of 6536

I'm so excited!! I've been going nuts trying to figure out a no-fail way to produce the Orange cake with consistency and great flavor... I've found it! Albeit, a tad expensive.

I was picking up peach puree at Bev Mo and saw TGIF's Orange Dream ($13 for 1.75 liters). It does have vodka in it, but that is a good thing since it means the drink will last practically indefinitely in the fridge.

I had to add extra orange flavoring (used a dram of LoRann's orange, but you could use 2 tsp of orange extract), but the texture of the cake was spot on, not even a hint of sinking! I'm so excited I could pee, lol.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 25 May 2012 , 12:16am
post #6034 of 6536

Good for you! How much of the liquid did you replace with the Orange Dream? Inquiring minds want to know. LOL

MacsMom Posted 25 May 2012 , 3:07pm
post #6035 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Show

Good for you! How much of the liquid did you replace with the Orange Dream? Inquiring minds want to know. LOL

Oh yeah, ALL of it. (2-2/3 c).

jany1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jany1 Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 12:29am
post #6036 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzer

once you reply to this thread you should see the watched topic on the bottom of the page. Hope this helps

Thank you for sharing, this raelly help alot!

sgalvan62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgalvan62 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 3:26am
post #6037 of 6536

Hi, is there a receipe for a coca cola cake?

MacsMom Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 5:10am
post #6038 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgalvan62

Hi, is there a receipe for a lococa cola cake?

lorannoils.com has a new Cola flavor. Use diet Cola for all of the liquid, and add the Cola flavoring, but try 1/2 tsp before adding the entire dram. The concentrated flavors can add quite a bang for their buck.

sgalvan62 Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 7:24pm
post #6039 of 6536

Thank you for info😃

MacsMom Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 8:16pm
post #6040 of 6536

Has anyone tried WASC with angel food cake mix? I was about to, then decided not to waste my time when I realized there were 2 pouches, one flour and one egg white mix.

Considered dumping them both together and proceeding with WASC recipe... then thought I'd ask first.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 3:41am
post #6041 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Has anyone tried WASC with angel food cake mix? I was about to, then decided not to waste my time when I realized there were 2 pouches, one flour and one egg white mix.

Considered dumping them both together and proceeding with WASC recipe... then thought I'd ask first.

NO NO NO

The first pouch is egg white powder and sugar to be whipped to a good meringue with water. The second pouch is flour-sugar-flavour to be folded in before baking.

Just stash this away for the time when you need angel food cake and don't want to use eggs. It's usually pretty decent if you add vanilla extract.

MacsMom Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 3:35pm
post #6042 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

Quote:

NO NO NO

The first pouch is egg white powder and sugar to be whipped to a good meringue with water. The second pouch is flour-sugar-flavour to be folded in before baking

BUT, has anyone tried it? I'm not looking for an angel food cake texture, just a lighter texture. I may give it a shot next week using 1/4 recipe just to see what happens...

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 10:59pm
post #6043 of 6536

I can't believe the last post was in April, according to what is visible on my monitor. As active as this post is, I sometimes get dropped from the watched topic list. Posting to see if anything new has happened. This is one thread I don't want to lose track of! icon_biggrin.gif

Jan

sgalvan62 Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 2:12am
post #6044 of 6536

hi, getting ready to make some reese cup cupcakes, gonna make chocolate cupcakes with peanutbutter frosting topped with a mini reese's. my question is would you recommend putting peanutbutter filling?a mini reese's? or a peanutbutter ball in center of cupcakes? thanks for any input icon_biggrin.gif

sgalvan62 Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 9:20pm
post #6045 of 6536

hi, just wondering has anyone purchased and used pastry filling from sweet wise? i purchased the baviarian cream and apple pie, but havent tried them yet? will the apple pie work for a cake filling or will it run? what flavor cake goes best with baviarian cream? thanks for any comments icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 2:51am
post #6046 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgalvan62

hi, just wondering has anyone purchased and used pastry filling from sweet wise? i purchased the baviarian cream and apple pie, but havent tried them yet? will the apple pie work for a cake filling or will it run? what flavor cake goes best with baviarian cream? thanks for any comments icon_smile.gif

I haven't seen Sweet Wise. If it is a true pastry filling (not like the canned fruit fillings) then it should not soak into cake.

Bavarian cream is great with champagne cake and red velvet, or a Nilla Wafer cake (sub finely ground Nilla wafers for 1 cup of the flour) with sliced bananas and a bavarian cream filling.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 2:11pm
post #6047 of 6536

Bavarian filling is good with Creme Brulee cake too!

sgalvan62 Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 4:01pm
post #6048 of 6536

Yummy!!...Thank you both for the great ideas can't wait to try them!

atudor4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atudor4 Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 6:18pm
post #6049 of 6536
Quote:

The best I've tried so far is, rather than the 2-2/3 cups liquid, use 1-1/3 c strawberry drink mix (pureed strawberries for daquiries or margaritas; I used Finest Call brand) and 1-1/3 cups diet lemon lime soda.
Add an extra egg white (9 whites total).

For some reason, it's really hard to get a good texture with strawberry cake! I've been wanting to try 2-2/3 cups melted strawberry ice-cream with extra strawberry extract.

If I'm understanding this post correctly, you add the sour cream, vanilla and almond extract as per the original WASC recipe? Only alterations would be the extra egg white, no water, add puree and sprite?
Thanks!!

Mattie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mattie1 Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 9:59pm
post #6050 of 6536

Im not sure if anyone has asked this but does anyone have a recipe for a buttery nipple cake or cupcakes?

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 12:30pm
post #6051 of 6536

Wow! So many great ideas!

unctoothlady Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 12:32pm
post #6052 of 6536

This is great!

unctoothlady Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 12:44pm
post #6053 of 6536

OMG! I have to set aside a few hours to go through this thread! Wonderful ideas!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 2:21pm
post #6054 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie1

Im not sure if anyone has asked this but does anyone have a recipe for a buttery nipple cake or cupcakes?

I looked up the recipe for that shot and it's basically butterscotch schnapps and Irish cream so if I were going to do this personally I would make an Irish Cream cake which is in the google doc and add Butterscotch schnapps to my buttercream.

If you want to do it the other other way(butterscotch cake/Irish Cream frosting) you could use the standard wasc, add 1 small box of butterscotch pudding to the recipe. I would then als do 1/2 butterscotch schnapps and 1/2 water for the liquid. For the frosting sub some of the liquid with Irish Cream. They even have Irish Cream flavored coffee creamer now but I haven't tried it yet.

I have not had that particular shot but to me anything with Irish cream in it is a hit. I also saw somewhere that some people put grenadine in it. If you do we could probably adjust the recipe further.

Mattie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mattie1 Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 6:19pm
post #6055 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie1

I looked up the recipe for that shot and it's basically butterscotch schnapps and Irish cream so if I were going to do this personally I would make an Irish Cream cake which is in the google doc and add Butterscotch schnapps to my buttercream.

If you want to do it the other other way(butterscotch cake/Irish Cream frosting) you could use the standard wasc, add 1 small box of butterscotch pudding to the recipe. I would then als do 1/2 butterscotch schnapps and 1/2 water for the liquid. For the frosting sub some of the liquid with Irish Cream. They even have Irish Cream flavored coffee creamer now but I haven't tried it yet.

I have not had that particular shot but to me anything with Irish cream in it is a hit. I also saw somewhere that some people put grenadine in it. If you do we could probably adjust the recipe further.

Thanks so much I will try this.

lilsweetck82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilsweetck82 Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 8:00pm
post #6056 of 6536

Hello everyone! This has got to be one of the greatest topics I have ever read. There is so much great info. Thank you all for sharing all your wonderful ideas. I was wondering if anyone has tried using pomegranate in a cake (whether it be in the cake itself, filling or icing)? I have a wedding cake request for October and this flavor, along with pears, apples, figs(?!), and cranberries, was something the bride had asked if were possible to use. She wants to stay within the Fall theme of the wedding. I am drawing a blank as to where to start. Does anyone have any ideas of cakes with these flavors and what other flavors go well with these as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif Thank you!

kryptonite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kryptonite Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 1:19pm
post #6057 of 6536

Morning everyone! I was just wondering if there were any developments in the strawberry cake saga icon_smile.gif Has anyone tried Sillywabbitz's version, either as is or with the Diet Sprite? Thanks so much!

sgalvan62 Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 5:07am
post #6058 of 6536

has anyone made the apple pie cake? it list apple filling in the ingredents, but also says good for a filling? do you put it in cake batter? or just filling? wanting to make a good apple pie cake, any helpful hints would be great! thanks!!

sgalvan62 Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 4:12am
post #6059 of 6536

Any help with apple pie cake?

crazygrammie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazygrammie Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 6:09pm
post #6060 of 6536

ok i made it through page 189 but got nothing done for a solid week. I have a question about Macmom's truffle filling, can I fill and freeze a cake made with this???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%