Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 9:28pm
post #61 of 6536

Thanks so much for posting this, I've been wanting to try something different.

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 9:29pm
post #62 of 6536

MacsMom: Let me know how that guava cake turns out for you. I did a July 4 guava cake. Had a funny wang. Not the greatest cake--and I'll never make it again.

I have had guava filling before that was absolutely incredible!

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 9:29pm
post #63 of 6536

this is a wonderful resource, so many flavor idea, no way to list all that on a website. Thanks for all the ideas

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 9:45pm
post #64 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinkema

MacsMom: Let me know how that guava cake turns out for you. I did a July 4 guava cake. Had a funny wang. Not the greatest cake--and I'll never make it again.

I have had guava filling before that was absolutely incredible!

Good to know! I am glad the filling was good since I listed it on my flavor page... icon_redface.gif I'd better get to work on perfecting a guava flavored cake!

DancingCakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DancingCakes2008 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 10:07pm
post #65 of 6536

I do a chocolate cake with pistachio filling. Everyones favorite:

Pistachio instant pudding replace milk with heavy whipping cream

Or you can add the pudding to a white cake

Yummy!!!!

MacsMom Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 10:47pm
post #66 of 6536

Geez... you mean have to add another to my list? icon_cool.gif

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 11:11pm
post #67 of 6536

Wow! All of these sound delicious! Can I ask if you refrigerate all these flavors--especially the mousses or the ones with cream cheese and whipped cream? If you do, does it ruin your fondant?

I've been in this rut of always just using a buttercream filling (flavored though!) or a chocolate ganache filling because you don't need to refrigerate those. I really want to branch out but am afraid of refrigerating my cakes and finding condensation all over my fondant.

What do you all do?

DancingCakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DancingCakes2008 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 11:16pm
post #68 of 6536

I always refrigerate and I have never had a problem with my fondant. It helps with the handling.

MacsMom Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 11:28pm
post #69 of 6536

Ditto. I always refrigerate, no problems at all. I put my MMF, Satin Ice (red, black and yellow), and Fondarific (black) in the fridge with no trouble.

Just give it time for the condensation to dry before it's in the customer's hands. If after 3 hrs it is still too moist, you can use a hair-dryer to speed dry it (you can't do this immediately after taking out it of the fridge because the cake will still be cold and condensation will return).

I have even frozen completely decorated cakes - but these must be thawed in the fridge first or the condensation will be too heavy.

I make most of my fillings using Frostin' Pride or Bettercreme, or pastry fillings, all of which are shelf-stable (no refrigeration required). I mix as many different things into Bettercreme as I do my cakes! Pudding mixes, ice-cream toppings, pastry fillings, peanut butter, crushed Oreos...

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:42am
post #70 of 6536

I just bought my first carton of Bettercream, didn't know my cash & carry carried it. So, I think I'll try a white chocolate mousse using the white chocolate pudding mix. And I saw Jello had some new pudding flavors the other day. Woo Hoo. I may try adding different puddings to my mixes. I've tried white chocolate in cakes, but only to fail, so pudding is my next move.

My combos aren't really "gourmet" but

White Forest Cake: White cake, cherry filling & ganache frosting (or cherry/ganache filling)

Pumpkin Pie: Pumpkin Cake w/ cinnamon cream cheese filling

Chocolate Covered Banana: Banana cake w/ chocolate mousse filling

Triple Berry: Strawberry cake, blueberry or blackberry filling w/ raspberry buttercream

sweetkisscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkisscakes Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:46am
post #71 of 6536

I'm trying to make a cake that tastes like bg cherry garcia ice cream. Has anyone made a melted ice cream cake like this or have any ideas?

dandelion56602 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:11am
post #72 of 6536

I know the cake mix dr has a recipe that uses melted ice cream if you want I'll look it up

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:23pm
post #73 of 6536

MacsMom, when you have 2 different fillings, are you layering them together or are you torting and filling each layer with the different fillings?

MacsMom Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:25pm
post #74 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetkisscakes

I'm trying to make a cake that tastes like bg cherry garcia ice cream. Has anyone made a melted ice cream cake like this or have any ideas?

Melted i.c. in cake is amazing, but the choc in cherry garcia might disentegrate. I have a recipe for Chocolate Covered Cherry that you can mess with:

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cake
2 white cake mixes
2 c flour
2 c sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 dram LoRann cherry    
2 t butter flavoring
1/2 t lemon extract
2 or 3 large drops Americolor super red      
1 c mini chocolate chips        
1 c mini cherry chips (I get mine online)

MacsMom Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:28pm
post #75 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

MacsMom, when you have 2 different fillings, are you layering them together or are you torting and filling each layer with the different fillings?

If it is a topsy, then I separate the filling layers. But I love to layer one right on top of the other. Oh, and I separate them if I am using different flavored cakes in one tier, like Banana Split: Layers of banana, cherry, & chocolate cakes filled with chocolate fudge & banana crème.

dandelion56602 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:54pm
post #76 of 6536

MacsMom, now that you told me you look everywhere for inspiration I've found myself doing it too.

I picked my dd up some new Skittles (Wed are our treat day) that are double flavored. They had a cherry lemon that was so good, so my wheels were turning and I thought

Cherry Lemonade: Lemon cake w/ cherry filling

Then I remembered how much I LOVE Sonic's Strawberry Limeade

Strawberry Cake w/ lime curd (not too tart though)

I can't wait to give these a try. Or if someone has let me know how they turned out. I think they would be so refreshing in the summer

My problem is coming up w/ a complimentary buttercream.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 8:39pm
post #77 of 6536

Okay MacsMom, you are officially the Flavor Guru! Thanks so much for posting your flavor combos! thumbs_up.gif

MacsMom Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 9:10pm
post #78 of 6536

...I wonder what a french fry and ketchup cake would taste like? lol.

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 9:54pm
post #79 of 6536

MacsMom, forgive me for being stupid, but can you please tell me what WASC stands for and perhaps a recipe for it.

Plus, explain what you mean by adding a white mix to a flavored mix.
Does it mean you add more flour to the cake mix, wouldn't you have to add more eggs and liquid as well? How much flour and how much liquid?

I would like to venture out of the boxed mixes and tackle my fears.

Baking is a science that one cannot screw up. I am not a scientist, just a decorator. Most of the time I use box cake mixes because they're no brainers. I do add pudding to my mixes to make them more dense.

Thank you sooooo much for all the cake flavors. They are much more creative then my 5 basic flavors.

My only thing is that ALL of my cakes need to be non dairy. so i am always on a lookout for substitutes like non dairy sour cream, non dairy creamer, Margarine instead of butter, etc.......

MacsMom Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:39pm
post #80 of 6536

Well, I tried to venture away from boxed mixes but I found that 100% scratch cakes just weren't as good. The WASC (white almond sour cream) recipe is scratch enough for me! It is 2 mixes, 2 c flour, 2 c sugar... Here is the link with more info
http://www.recipezaar.com/White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Wedding-Cake-69630

The strawberry, banana, and lemon cake mixes tend to be a bit too sweet and moist, almost too synthetic. So I use one box of white cake mix and one box of flavored cake mix, then enhance the flavor with pureed real fruit (banana, strawberry) and flavored yogurts (and lemon juice for lemon cake).

I do NOT like the butter-recipe cake mixes with this recipe. They don't taste as good and have a different texture.

The WASC uses only 1/4 c oil and I quite often use yogurt in place of sour cream.

malishka Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:38pm
post #81 of 6536

MacsMom, you are the best!!!
I would have never found this recipe on my own. The posibilities for me now are endless. I feel like I just lost my virginity. icon_smile.gif
I have been on the web site before, but was overwhelmed with all the recipies. The way she explains the substitutions is fantastic.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. you have made my day.

I cannot use yogurt in the WASC recipe, but I can use non dairy sour cream. Plus, I looked up LoRann flavored candy oils and I have never seen that many flavors in my life.
How much of the oil do I put into a recipe?

Now you got me brainstorming about different funcky flavors.

MacsMom Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:56pm
post #82 of 6536

...I know! My mom brought me a recipe for honeycomb last night and my mind went immediately to. "How can I use crushed up honeycomb in a cake?" A honey cake?

1 dram of LoRann = 1 teaspoon. It is very concentrated flavoring so 1 dram is usually all you need to add to a double recipe like the WASC or to buttercream.

malishka Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:02pm
post #83 of 6536

what the hey is a dram? is it the entire little bottle?

MacsMom Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:10pm
post #84 of 6536

Yes. The tiny little bottle is called a dram icon_wink.gif

malishka Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:18pm
post #85 of 6536

wow, in that case, it's a bit expensive.
Still, I am really excited to be opened to a whole new world.
I am at work right now surfing on recipezaar. I really should be working. Can't concentrate on work with all this brainstorming. icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:24pm
post #86 of 6536

Right now you can get 15% off with coupon code "Anniversary" if you buy them at already reduced prices at
Fo nd ant Sou rce .com/lorannoils.html

(I had to break it up like that because CC blocks their website. I don't know why, though - they offer 10% to CC members with coupon code "cakecentral").

malishka Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:30pm
post #87 of 6536

I'M ON IT!
How can I ever repay you for all the wealth of info?

MacsMom Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:49pm
post #88 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by malishka

I'M ON IT!
How can I ever repay you for all the wealth of info?

LOL!! I'm just paying it forward as I've learned pretty much everything I know here at CC.

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:25pm
post #89 of 6536

News flash! Lorann Oils are only $1.09 a dram at www. shop bettys.com (be sure to remove spaces). icon_biggrin.gif

malishka Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:17pm
post #90 of 6536

is that their regular price or sale price? just curious

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%