Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

aandkidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandkidz Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 1:28pm
post #5941 of 6536

Musiclover, are you putting the pudding mix in the cakes? I have found all the recipes to be very moist. Is there one in particular that was dry?
I wouldnt add anything else, because baking is all about ratios. I mean someone else may know what else to add or take away. But I think if you dont omit the mudding, it should be very moist.

I've made these recipes as cakes AND cupcakes with no problem. Perhaps your oven needs to be a tad higher for them to cook all the way thru? JMHO icon_smile.gif

Macsmom, I made your chocolate WASC with a strawberry balsamic filling, and homemade chocolate MMF!! OOOOHMMMYYYYGAWD!!! That was the best cake I've ever made in my life. It was even better the next day. I couldnt believe it used 4 diff chocolate sources. DIVINE!!!!!

This was the first time making choc MMF, so it didnt come out too pretty, but I think I will take a pic of it since its cut and it looks waaaaay better.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 4:12pm
post #5942 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by aandkidz

Musiclover, are you putting the pudding mix in the cakes? I have found all the recipes to be very moist. Is there one in particular that was dry?
I wouldnt add anything else, because baking is all about ratios. I mean someone else may know what else to add or take away. But I think if you dont omit the mudding, it should be very moist.

I've made these recipes as cakes AND cupcakes with no problem. Perhaps your oven needs to be a tad higher for them to cook all the way thru? JMHO icon_smile.gif

Macsmom, I made your chocolate WASC with a strawberry balsamic filling, and homemade chocolate MMF!!

Wanna share the straw balsmic filliing? icon_biggrin.gif

Musiclover, since there is already a lot of oil in the recipe, I agree on the pudding question, but also if the liquid portion is 50/50 water to creamer that wll help. If it is a dense cake, then adding 2 tbls extra liquid can help. Sugar adds to moistness, but too much sugar lends to the sinking issue.

For cuppies, a thich batter can sometimes cause sinking as well as excess sugar. I add a bit more water if I notice my batter seems too thick. In addition, DH and Pillsbury mixes tend to sink more than Betty Crocker.

aandkidz Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 12:19am
post #5943 of 6536

WOW!!! YOU?? The recipe guru? I am flattered that you are asking me!!

STRAWBERRY BALSAMIC FILLING

1C strawberries
1/4C sugar
1T balsamic vinegar
Mix strawberries with sugar and let stand 15mins to maserate. Place in small saucepan and add vinegar.

Let simmer 15 mins. The berries should cook down and create a sauce. Crush berries and pulse in blender if you want a smoother consistancy.

I also make a strawberry balsamic cream cheese filling.

Add above to 2 oz cream cheese
1T balsamic vinegar
1C powder sugar
1T butter.

Mix strawberry sauce and balsamic vinegar. Set aside.
Beat cream cheese and butter together at medium speed until cream.

Sift in 1/2 C sugar and beat until combined. Sift in remaining sugar and combine.

Add more sugar if necessary.

aandkidz Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 12:22am
post #5944 of 6536

pic of cake.

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 1:04am
post #5945 of 6536

For a nicely domed cupcake, bake at 425 degrees for 4-5 minutes, then lower your oven temp to 350 till done.

Kat

musicislove05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musicislove05 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 6:16pm
post #5946 of 6536

It actually wasn't one of the gourmet flavor cakes. It was 2 different cakes from scratch, but needed some input and I know people on here have good ideas icon_smile.gif Thanks for your responses. I'll try them out and see if it helps. Macsmom, the cupcakes actually weren't a thick batter. It was very liquidy. The reason why I said it might be the sugar was because it only had a little over a cup of flour and a cup of unsweetened cococa powder and then over 2 cups of sugar. So I was thinking maybe it was too much sugar, but I'm no expert

Also, one other question. When I make the cakes that call for creamer, what do you guys do with the rest of it? Unfortunately, I am not a big coffee drinker so I can't use up the rest of the creamer in coffee. Has anyone ever tried freezing it and just thawing it out and using it that way?

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 7:14pm
post #5947 of 6536

wow!haven't gotten an update for this thread in ages! Exciting to read so e of the recent posts and can't wait to try the strawberry balsamic filling!!!

Any brand of balsamic you recommend by the way?

Also, I need to make a chocolate mint cake....do you think a teaspoon of mint extract in the choc WASC batter or some creme de menthe liquor maybe? I may be able to get the loran creme de menthe by then but I'm not sure. If I can, is that one of the really strong flavors, how much would you add to a full WASC recipe? Thank you so much!

Noura80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noura80 Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 8:11am
post #5948 of 6536

Hi everyone. I was wondering in the WASC recipes that call for sour cream, what can I substitute it for if I didn't have it on hand? like yogurt, kefir (similar to buttermilk) and what about the amount is it the same too?

aandkidz Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 12:53pm
post #5949 of 6536

Steffla, I dont use any particular brand of balsamic vinegar. I just know you dont need to spend a bunch on it.

Noura, I have subbed the sour cream with greek yogurt. Same measurements.

aandkidz Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 12:55pm
post #5950 of 6536

Steffla, I dont use any particular brand of balsamic vinegar. I just know you dont need to spend a bunch on it.

Noura, I have subbed the sour cream with greek yogurt. Same measurements.

steffla Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 6:36am
post #5951 of 6536

steffla

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:14 am   Post subject: Mint
"Also, I need to make a chocolate mint cake....do you think a teaspoon of mint extract in the choc WASC batter or some creme de menthe liquor maybe? I may be able to get the loran creme de menthe by then but I'm not sure. If I can, is that one of the really strong flavors, how much would you add to a full WASC recipe? Thank you so much!"

Any advice on this?

Also, has anyone made the butterscotch rum cake and what would be a good sub for the rum in order to make just a butterscotch cake???

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 12:36am
post #5952 of 6536

Ok, I have gone through the list of flavors here and there are plenty, but here is where I need help. I made some WASC cupcakes and I am planning on filling them with a mandarin orange mousse that I made trying to use up some mandarin oranges that I had. I was kind of thinking of making a fluffy white icing to go on top and putting some coconut on top of that. What do you all think? I am trying to use stuff I have here at home w/o buying anything else. Do you think that, that will taste ok? Thanks. The WASC cupcakes were from left over batter that I had from a cake that I was doing. I just made cupcakes from it so I could use the batter after I was done baking my cakes. They have been in the freezer only a short time.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 11:09am
post #5953 of 6536

Noura: One time recently I didn't have enough sour cream and I finished it off with mayonnaise as I didn't have any yogurt on hand either. I would not reccommend subbing out the whole thing with mayonnaise though. While it isn't going to hurt the cake it will change your flavor up. I ended up having to make more cake so went and got sour cream to do the rest of it with. It, the mayonnaise did not hurt the flavor as it was a small portion that got subbed out, but I am sure that you would not end up with the same flavor you were going for if you had to sub out very much of it. I think the greek yogurt would be an excellent substitute. Best wishes.

kryptonite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kryptonite Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 4:45pm
post #5954 of 6536

Has anyone made macsmom's Chocolate WASC with AP flour instead of cake flour? I don't usually like how recipes turn out with cake flour, but if that's what everybody's having such success with, I'll give it a shot icon_smile.gif Also, does anyone know how long a cake with her Peanut Butter filling can be unrefrigerated? Thanks, everyone!!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 6:10pm
post #5955 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite

Has anyone made macsmom's Chocolate WASC with AP flour instead of cake flour? I don't usually like how recipes turn out with cake flour, but if that's what everybody's having such success with, I'll give it a shot icon_smile.gif Also, does anyone know how long a cake with her Peanut Butter filling can be unrefrigerated? Thanks, everyone!!

I do it with AP flour all the time. The crumb may not be as absolutely delicate, but I've had the most incredible success with this recipe, and am forever receiving compliments on it, regardless of my filling.

asanchez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asanchez Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 2:21am
post #5956 of 6536

I just made the mcsmom cho wasc with the oreo filling for a get together tomorrow. In the morning I will make the buttercream. What type do you think I should make?

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 9:07pm
post #5957 of 6536

I am wanting to make MacsMom Cheesecake flavored cake and I am wondering if many of you have had great results? I have tried the chocolate cake and the results were referred to as ooey gooey and with the cinnamon roll cake the struesel (cinnamon, butter,etc. mixture) sunk to the bottom of the pan only to find once it cooled that the cake wouldn't come out of the pan wasting products. Someone special to me has a bday coming up and would like for it to be cheesecake flavored. I have found myself back to this set of recipes but wondered about the results of the cheesecake cake. sigh...

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 10:13pm
post #5958 of 6536

Over the weekend, I made MacsMoms tuxedo cake with the white and milk chocolate truffle filling for my son's 25th birthday cake- it turned out terrific!!! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks MacsMom for all the recipes and everyone who has posted to this topic, unbelievable amount of information. princess.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 10:17pm
post #5959 of 6536

I made the cheesecake flavor with ought the chocolate swirl and I found the flavoring to be very subtle. It tasted like a slightly richer white cake for me. It was good but not as cheesecakey as I was hoping.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 3:49am
post #5960 of 6536

I was just checking to see if this thread was still going -- I haven't received any notices for the past 10 pages! icon_cry.gif

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 8:32am
post #5961 of 6536

icon_eek.gif This thread is insane with all these awesome info. Thank you ladies for sharing.
Subscribing...

sillywabbitz Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 2:34pm
post #5962 of 6536

I made the apple cider cake over Thanksgiving. Definately one of my new favorites. I made it two ways.

One way I made homemade applie pie filling and baked it directly on top of the cake and served with cinnamon whipping cream. Second I used the left over batter and topped it with caramel buttercream with a very light sprinkle of sea salt. I finally figured out why they put salt on caramel nowicon_smile.gif it was way too sweet on its own.

Thanks to everyone who contributes these great recipes.

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Dec 2011 , 2:29pm
post #5963 of 6536

Did anyone make any of these flavors for the holidays?

bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 3:26am
post #5964 of 6536

Okay can somebody please tell me if this thread is still active?

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 6:19am
post #5965 of 6536

i haven't been on i a while. So glad I had saved Bob's Forum for where to find the link. Going back through it to see what all I have missed. Happy New Year Everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 8:06pm
post #5966 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

I made the cheesecake flavor with ought the chocolate swirl and I found the flavoring to be very subtle. It tasted like a slightly richer white cake for me. It was good but not as cheesecakey as I was hoping.

When I don't want the chocolate cheesecake swirl, I still swirl it with the cream cheese, egg, sugar mixture (8oz cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 egg). icon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 9:12pm
post #5967 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

When I don't want the chocolate cheesecake swirl, I still swirl it with the cream cheese, egg, sugar mixture (8oz cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 egg). icon_smile.gif

Duh! That makes perfect sense. I'll try that next timeicon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 12:03am
post #5968 of 6536

Thanks for letting me know this thread is still up and running. I have to update the recipe links thread anyway. Thanks all! icon_biggrin.gif

steffla Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 4:41am
post #5969 of 6536

aandkidz thanks for the answer about the balsamic vinegar!

Bobwonderbuns I am not sure how active this thread still is so I might pm you! But just in case, in your coconut cake recipe it says the coco Lopez which I know I can find but then it's also says coconut cream. I was wondering if you could clarify what you are referring to? Do you mean the liquid coffee creamer? Thanks so much! I am so excited to make this!!

Also I got a request for coconut cake pops but she wants them to have real shredded coconut on the outside instead of chocolate? Anyone have any thought on how to go about that in the best way possible?

Thanks !

Momofjaic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjaic Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 2:35pm
post #5970 of 6536

Maybe right after you form them when they are still "wet" roll them then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%