Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 1:50pm
post #5911 of 6536

Try the suggestions MacsMom gave and see how that works.

jab1213 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jab1213 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 4:43pm
post #5912 of 6536

That is great info. Thank you for posting the link.

Noura80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noura80 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 3:32am
post #5913 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noura80

first of all I'd like to thank everyonw for giving us a piece of their mind, much appreciated.

I made this cake yesterday but it kind of turned out a bit dense and did not rise that well. the recipe is of a peanut butter cake that I took from this thread. I added an additional 1/4 cup of liquid coffee creamer and instead of the egg whites, I used 3 whole eggs (I halved the recipe FYI).

can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

here's the recipe:

Peanut Butter Cake
2 pkgs white cake mix
1 1/2 c creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 c coffee creamer
1 c butter, softened
8 egg whites

I don't know how that recipe got so mangled, but here is the recipe I use - it is in the Google doc:

Peanut Butter Cake - Betty Crocker (not WASC) *doubled version
2 pkgs white cake mix
1 c creamy peanut butter
6 eggs
2 1/2 c water
2/3 c oil

thank you thank you thank you. I will make it today and report back.

jimagination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimagination Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 3:30pm
post #5914 of 6536

I love this list and the scratch recipes listed on this forum post, and use them all the time for carved cakes, but I cant get them to translate into cupcakes. They always turn out too dense and heavy. Can someone help me? Is there something I should do differently with teh scratch recipes to make them more moist and light- Customers are used to box mixes and not to scratch recipes, but I want to stick to "homemade".

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 4:08pm
post #5915 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimagination

I love this list and the scratch recipes listed on this forum post, and use them all the time for carved cakes, but I cant get them to translate into cupcakes. They always turn out too dense and heavy. Can someone help me? Is there something I should do differently with teh scratch recipes to make them more moist and light- Customers are used to box mixes and not to scratch recipes, but I want to stick to "homemade".

Just add a bit more water and oil (for the full WASC recipe it would be 3 cups liquid and 1/3 cup oil) - or use diet soda for all of the liquid portion (diet 7-Up for white based mixes, diet cola for chocolate based mixes).

...though I like how cupcakes turn out with the recipe as is icon_wink.gif

jimagination Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 4:24pm
post #5916 of 6536

Thank you so much- i will try those tips!!!!! icon_smile.gif

jimagination Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 4:27pm
post #5917 of 6536

Thank you so much- i will try those tips!!!!! icon_smile.gif

horskkj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
horskkj Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 11:08pm
post #5918 of 6536

I would like to make a variety of mini cupcakes. I don't need very many of each. Just a little variety for a small dinner party. Here's what I am thinking. Please let me know if this will work. Going to make 12 each
Vanilla WASC recipe- measure mix and divide into 1/4.
Batch 1 = regular vanilla
Batch 2 =pumpkin spice creamer for liquid and a spicy yogurt for SC
Batch 3 = creme brûlée creamer for liquid, brown sugar for 1/2 of sugar
Batch 4 = combine with chocolate for red velvet

Chocolate WASC - divide into 1/4
Batch 1 = regular chocolate
Batch 2 = kahlua creamer or mudslide mix and loran coffee flavoring
Batch 3 = add dark chocolate cocoa and going to frost with orange BC
Batch 4 = combine with vanilla for red velvet

Planning to do the same with icings...make one and flavor differently.
Buttercream with
Peanut butter
Orange
Vanilla paste
Caramel
Also making a cream cheese

Does this sound like a disaster or a plan that can work?

MacsMom Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 12:41am
post #5919 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by horskkj

I would like to make a variety of mini cupcakes. I don't need very many of each. Just a little variety for a small dinner party. Here's what I am thinking. Please let me know if this will work. Going to make 12 each
Vanilla WASC recipe- measure mix and divide into 1/4.
Batch 1 = regular vanilla
Batch 2 =pumpkin spice creamer for liquid and a spicy yogurt for SC
Batch 3 = creme brûlée creamer for liquid, brown sugar for 1/2 of sugar
Batch 4 = combine with chocolate for red velvet

Chocolate WASC - divide into 1/4
Batch 1 = regular chocolate
Batch 2 = kahlua creamer or mudslide mix and loran coffee flavoring
Batch 3 = add dark chocolate cocoa and going to frost with orange BC
Batch 4 = combine with vanilla for red velvet

Planning to do the same with icings...make one and flavor differently.
Buttercream with
Peanut butter
Orange
Vanilla paste
Caramel
Also making a cream cheese

Does this sound like a disaster or a plan that can work?

It would be safer to make each batch separately. 1/4 recipe WASC makes one 2x7" cake or 15 cupcakes:

2 c cake mix (slightly less since mixes are smaller - doesn't affect outcome, though)
1/2 c flour
1/2 c sugar
pinch salt
2 tbls dry pudding mix
2/3 c liquid
1/2 c sour cream
2 egg whites
1 tbls oil
1 tsp flavoring

Noura80 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 4:14am
post #5920 of 6536

I want to report back on the Peanut Butter cake recipe. It rose very well and cooked very well too. Though I noticed that it has a lighter crumb to it. I will be torting it today and I will definitely take a bite out of the scraps. I used half of the recipe to fit a one 10" round pan and used an inverted flower nail and bake even strips.

I will report again after tasting the scraps icon_biggrin.gif

Noura80 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 12:40pm
post #5921 of 6536

Ok so I torted and filled the cake layers with PB mousse and reese's PB cups. I then crumb coated it and let it rest in the fridge overnight. The next day I put fondant and designed it how I wated it. My question is, the cake sagged a bit. I don't know if it's from the fondant or the cake was too moist. .I'm thinking the latter, because when it was time to cut the cake the filling and a lot of cake stuck to the cake.

Should I have added a cup of cake flour to the batter to compensate for the moistness? plz help.

MacsMom Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 2:10pm
post #5922 of 6536
Quote:

Ok so I torted and filled the cake layers with PB mousse and reese's PB cups. I then crumb coated it and let it rest in the fridge overnight. The next day I put fondant and designed it how I wated it. My question is, the cake sagged a bit. I don't know if it's from the fondant or the cake was too moist. .I'm thinking the latter, because when it was time to cut the cake the filling and a lot of cake stuck to the cake.

Should I have added a cup of cake flour to the batter to compensate for the moistness? plz help.

The moistness comes from the fat and sugar, but adding flour alone will make it more dense so you'd have to add more of everything. It makes more sense to use less fat.

However, I haven't had any trouble with fondant or with it sticking to the knife when I have had made this, so I'm left wondering if it could've been cooked a tad longer?

angeliaaki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeliaaki Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 11:34pm
post #5923 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepmer

I didn't see a Pina Colada in the google doc...do you have the recipe?

The Orange Dreamsicle looks great, but I don't think we have the orange creamsicle yogurt here in Canada. Maybe there's something else I can use instead?

Just use sour cream.

For pina colada, I make the WASC recipe with these subs: 1 c pina colada drink mix, 1 c water, 1 c Malibu rum, 2 tsp LoRann pina colada flavor, 2 tsp coconut flavor. Without the LoRann, you can use 2 tsp pineapple flavoring.

Banana cake with chocolate filling.
Irish Cream cake (using Irish Cream coffee creamer and Baileys, 50:50).
Coconut cake with banana filling.
Cherry lime
Cookies-n-cream...

i want to make the pina colada cake but its my first time using the WASC recipe. so do i still add the flour, sour cream, and sugar plus the above subs? do you use white cake mix or a different flavor?
i am thrilled to have found your list of cake flavors...so many amazing ideas! thank you!

CMac1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CMac1979 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 5:56pm
post #5924 of 6536

Hi! I love all the great flavour ideas on here! When I was looking through MacsMom's fabulous flavour list I kept seeing different mousse as fillings (cherry, vanilla, orange). Is there a recipe on here to make a mousse filling and I am just missing it? I would love to know how to make them, they sound so yummy! I keep looking for the recipe somewhere and have even searched elsewhere but never seem to come up with anything?! Any ideas?? Thanks!

MacsMom Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 5:59pm
post #5925 of 6536

[quote="angeliaaki"]

Quote:

Quote:

For pina colada, I make the WASC recipe with these subs: 1 c pina colada drink mix, 1 c water, 1 c Malibu rum, 2 tsp LoRann pina colada flavor, 2 tsp coconut flavor. Without the LoRann, you can use 2 tsp pineapple flavoring.

i want to make the pina colada cake but its my first time using the WASC recipe. so do i still add the flour, sour cream, and sugar plus the above subs? do you use white cake mix or a different flavor?
i am thrilled to have found your list of cake flavors...so many amazing ideas! thank you!

Yes, make the WASC recipe but sub the liquids and flavorings.

I play around with cakes all the time, and now I prefer using DH Pineapple Supreme cake mix and LoRann's pina colada flavoring (1 dram). Instead of the above liquid substitutions, I use 1-1/3 c coconut creamer and 1-1/3 c Malibu (or leave out the Malibu rum and just use water)

angeliaaki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeliaaki Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 11:46pm
post #5926 of 6536

[quote="MacsMom"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeliaaki

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, make the WASC recipe but sub the liquids and flavorings.

I play around with cakes all the time, and now I prefer using DH Pineapple Supreme cake mix and LoRann's pina colada flavoring (1 dram). Instead of the above liquid substitutions, I use 1-1/3 c coconut creamer and 1-1/3 c Malibu (or leave out the Malibu rum and just use water)

thank you so much! this cake was AMAZING! the only problem i had was that i made cupcakes with the leftover batter and the cupcakes stuck to the cupcake liner. is this normal?

MacsMom Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 3:26pm
post #5927 of 6536

[quote="angeliaaki"][quote="MacsMom"][quote="angeliaaki"]

Quote:

Quote:

thank you so much! this cake was AMAZING! the only problem i had was that i made cupcakes with the leftover batter and the cupcakes stuck to the cupcake liner. is this normal?

Any mix with a high sugar content will stick more, so if you used the pineapple mix that would be the the culprit. If you used Malibu, the sugar alcohol.

Noura80 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 9:22am
post #5928 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

The moistness comes from the fat and sugar, but adding flour alone will make it more dense so you'd have to add more of everything. It makes more sense to use less fat.

However, I haven't had any trouble with fondant or with it sticking to the knife when I have had made this, so I'm left wondering if it could've been cooked a tad longer?

Well I've cooked it about 1 hr cos last time I made it using the same recipe cooked it for 40 min, checked it and it was a bit sticky in the middle. placed it in the oven for another 10 min.

But I thought that when cooking it a bit longer it tends to dries out the cake not the opposite icon_confused.gif . BTW I made the recipe in single 10" round pan.

josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 10:02am
post #5929 of 6536

thumbs_up.gif

MacsMom Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:19pm
post #5930 of 6536

[quote="Noura80"]

Quote:

Quote:

Well I've cooked it about 1 hr cos last time I made it using the same recipe cooked it for 40 min, checked it and it was a bit sticky in the middle. placed it in the oven for another 10 min.

But I thought that when cooking it a bit longer it tends to dries out the cake not the opposite icon_confused.gif . BTW I made the recipe in single 10" round pan.

Even in a single 10" pan, I bake my WASC cakes for an hour at 325. There is so much fat in these cakes with the sour cream and creamer, that even when I've way overcooked cakes, they were still moist!

labcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labcat Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 10:06pm
post #5931 of 6536

I thought I should report back about the mulled apple cider cake that I made over the weekend. It took me two tries to get what I was looking for so my family was forced to have some cider cupcakes too. icon_wink.gif

Mulled Apple Cider Cake with Cinnamon Brown Sugar Buttercream

1 box white cake mix
1 cup flour
1 cup 'sugar' (I used 2 packets apple cider mix, about half a carton of mulled cider mix and sugar to make up balance of 1 cup)
3/4 tsp salt
3 eggs
2 tbsp oil
8 oz sour cream
1 1/3 cup cider

Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting

1 stick butter at room temp
1/2 cup shortening
4 cups powdered sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons milk
3 teaspoon ground cinnamon (adjust to preference)
Brown sugar to taste (~1 tbsp?)

The cinnamon and brown sugar I added to taste after the frosting was made.

Noura80 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 8:31am
post #5932 of 6536

[quote="MacsMom"]

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Even in a single 10" pan, I bake my WASC cakes for an hour at 325. There is so much fat in these cakes with the sour cream and creamer, that even when I've way overcooked cakes, they were still moist!

how much oil in total should I use then? any idea?

MacsMom Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 6:57pm
post #5933 of 6536
Quote:

how much oil in total should I use then? any idea?

I haven't had the problem you described with it being sticky, so my recommendation is to try it again as is and cook it a little longer. If you don't want to risk that, then reduce the oil by 2 tbls and increase the liquid by 2 tbls.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 5:32am
post #5934 of 6536

Wow, this thread is almost to 400 pages. Amazingicon_smile.gif
I made the Cheesecake Livers recipe tonight. The batter is really really thick. Is this normal? I was forced to use Pillsbury because they were out of DH. The batter is in the fridge for baking tomorrow. Just curious if that recipe is always that thick or if I should thin it out.

sillywabbitz Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:18pm
post #5935 of 6536

Since my edit button is missing, I meant Cheesecake Lovers not liversicon_smile.gif That's what happens when you post via your phone.

MacsMom Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 10:30pm
post #5936 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Wow, this thread is almost to 400 pages. Amazingicon_smile.gif
I made the Cheesecake Livers recipe tonight. The batter is really really thick. Is this normal? I was forced to use Pillsbury because they were out of DH. The batter is in the fridge for baking tomorrow. Just curious if that recipe is always that thick or if I should thin it out.

It's thick because of the cream cheese, but leaving it to be baked tomorrow is going to make the cake even more dense... With PB, don't fill the pans too full as PB tends to bake over.

sillywabbitz Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 10:49pm
post #5937 of 6536

Thanks so much. I appreciate the feed back. It's a personal use cake so if it's a little goofy it's okicon_smile.gif

Jackie_S Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie_S Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 1:03am
post #5938 of 6536

This thread is amazing!! Thanks for all the differnt ideas!

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 11:00pm
post #5939 of 6536

How's the neopolition flavor, lemon kiss, strawberry lemonade and the chocolate dipped strawberry? Trying to read through all of these post is taking forever!!!! Thanks so much MacMom

musicislove05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musicislove05 Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 6:26am
post #5940 of 6536

I need some help troubleshooting issues I had with the things I made this week and was wondering if you guys could me out icon_smile.gif

If I want to increase moistness in a cake that calls for 1/2 cup of oil, would adding 1-2 tbsp of oil be a good start to try that? Would I have to increase or decrease anything else?

Also, I made cupcakes but they sunk in the middle. Could this be a result of having too much sugar in them? Would decreasing the sugar by 1-2 tbsp be a start for those?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%