Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:07pm
post #4771 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffla

for the Smore's cake I have done a layer of chocolate ganache and a layer of marshmallow fluff bc inside, then iced the whole thing in chocolate ganache!

When I used marshmallow fluff, it began to soak into the cake after a while. I now mix mini-marshmallows into the truffle filling.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:27pm
post #4772 of 6536

I use a 7 minute frosting with LorAnn marshmallow flavoring. Then I torch it to make it look roasted. I fill with Milk chocolate ganache.

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:45pm
post #4773 of 6536

You can try whipping Dream Whip together with dry pudding mix using evaporated milk - it lasts longer left out than Cool Whip or heavy cream.

MacsMom, First of all, Thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas and amazing recipes!!!! Above you mentioned using Dream Whip with pudding mix and evaporated milk... Do you make the Dream Whip to original directions first, then whip it together with dry pudding mix and evaporated milk? I didn't see a recipe for this, although there are sooooo many, I could have missed it...

Thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif
diem icon_lol.gif

MacsMom Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:47pm
post #4774 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm321

You can try whipping Dream Whip together with dry pudding mix using evaporated milk - it lasts longer left out than Cool Whip or heavy cream.

MacsMom, First of all, Thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas and amazing recipes!!!! Above you mentioned using Dream Whip with pudding mix and evaporated milk... Do you make the Dream Whip to original directions first, then whip it together with dry pudding mix and evaporated milk? I didn't see a recipe for this, although there are sooooo many, I could have missed it...

Thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif
diem icon_lol.gif

I pour the powdered Dream Whip and powdered pudding mix into a bowl then add the evap milk - the amount suggested on the Dream Whip box.

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:57pm
post #4775 of 6536

[/quote]
I pour the powdered Dream Whip and powdered pudding mix into a bowl then add the evap milk - the amount suggested on the Dream Whip box.[/quote]

Awesome - Thanks again, MacsMom!
diem

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:23am
post #4776 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

I use a 7 minute frosting with LorAnn marshmallow flavoring. Then I torch it to make it look roasted. I fill with Milk chocolate ganache.

Holy cow that sounds good!!!!

Macsmom, I used the marshmallow fluff buttercream recipe from the google doc (i think). It is no different that bc so it doesnt soak in but I have to admit it was VERY sweet and kinda tasted just like sugar so need to work on an alternative, maybe I will try the truffle with mini mm. do you do chocolate or white chocolate and does it have bettercreme and cream cheese in it too? I cant remember now...

MacsMom Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:51am
post #4777 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

Holy cow that sounds good!!!!

Macsmom, I used the marshmallow fluff buttercream recipe from the google doc (i think). It is no different that bc so it doesnt soak in but I have to admit it was VERY sweet and kinda tasted just like sugar so need to work on an alternative, maybe I will try the truffle with mini mm. do you do chocolate or white chocolate and does it have bettercreme and cream cheese in it too? I cant remember now...

I do choclate and there are so many to make a chocolate fudgey-type filling: Mix melted morsels with MM fluff, mix cream cheese and melted morsels, mix melted morsels with Bettercreme, or any of the above combinations. thumbs_up.gif

steffla Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:06am
post #4778 of 6536

Fantastic!!! When you do melted morsels mixed with something as a filling, do they harden back up eventually and make it hard to cut through?

MacsMom Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:50am
post #4779 of 6536
Quote:

Fantastic!!! When you do melted morsels mixed with something as a filling, do they harden back up eventually and make it hard to cut through?

Only if you use too many! I use 8oz crm chz per 12 oz bag and 1 c Bettercreme - but whatever else I add or do with the morsels depends on what kind of cake I'm making; a more fudgey style for Turtle and s'mores, a more whipped style for lighter cakes.

Oh, and the longer you whip it the lighter/softer it gets.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:51am
post #4780 of 6536

I'm doing 3 S'mores cakes for this weekend using the recipe on the big list. I baked the cakes last night and when I was getting my ingredients together, I wasn't paying attention and pulled down a box of white and a box of DH Dark Chocolate Fudge. Was about to put the chocolate mix back when I stopped and went "Hmmmmm."
Being that the big cake is for a family picnic, I decided to experiment with using a box of the chocolate instead of both white cake. If it sucked, I could easily rebake the smaller cakes.

It doesn't suck. Oh lawd it does not suck. I cut off a bit of the dome this morning to sample and nearly fell on the floor it's so good. icon_lol.gif Somehow the chocolate seems to make the graham flavor even more graham-y and there's all sorts of interesting, delicious flavors going on.

I'm going to torte each layer with a healthy drizzle of melted chocolate underneath and on top of marshmallow fluff to lessen the soaking-in aspect and ice the cake with regular ol' chocolate buttercream.

But for the immediate future I'm going to go finish leveling the cakes so I can eat more trimmings. icon_biggrin.gif

GrandmaG Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:19pm
post #4781 of 6536

Just a FYI. I tried the strawberry soda and the strawberry puree for the strawberry cake. Also strawberry yogurt and flavoring. Just wasn't enough strawberry flavor. I usually just use the puree for the strawberry cake mixed with a smaller part water. Next time I will still use the soda but make the larger amount of liquid with the puree.

MacsMom Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:45pm
post #4782 of 6536
Quote:

Just a FYI. I tried the strawberry soda and the strawberry puree for the strawberry cake. Also strawberry yogurt and flavoring. Just wasn't enough strawberry flavor. I usually just use the puree for the strawberry cake mixed with a smaller part water. Next time I will still use the soda but make the larger amount of liquid with the puree.

But how was the overall texture? When I use too much puree or strawberry cake mixes the texture comes out too heavy. I'd rather add extra drams of LoRann if the texture was lighter...

MacsMom Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:46pm
post #4783 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloChellie

I'm doing 3 S'mores cakes for this weekend using the recipe on the big list. I baked the cakes last night and when I was getting my ingredients together, I wasn't paying attention and pulled down a box of white and a box of DH Dark Chocolate Fudge. Was about to put the chocolate mix back when I stopped and went "Hmmmmm."
Being that the big cake is for a family picnic, I decided to experiment with using a box of the chocolate instead of both white cake. If it sucked, I could easily rebake the smaller cakes.

It doesn't suck. Oh lawd it does not suck. I cut off a bit of the dome this morning to sample and nearly fell on the floor it's so good. icon_lol.gif Somehow the chocolate seems to make the graham flavor even more graham-y and there's all sorts of interesting, delicious flavors going on.

I'm going to torte each layer with a healthy drizzle of melted chocolate underneath and on top of marshmallow fluff to lessen the soaking-in aspect and ice the cake with regular ol' chocolate buttercream.

But for the immediate future I'm going to go finish leveling the cakes so I can eat more trimmings. icon_biggrin.gif

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

GrandmaG Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:15pm
post #4784 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:

But how was the overall texture? When I use too much puree or strawberry cake mixes the texture comes out too heavy. I'd rather add extra drams of LoRann if the texture was lighter...

I think strawberry WASC is the hardest to get that strawberry flavor in. Unfortunately, I was out of LorAnn strawberry or that probably would have done the trick. I used a lot of strawberry flavoring though. So I guess I would note to make sure to use the LorAnn if using more of the soda for the liquid. Sometimes I add 1/2 C strawberry preserves and it will give it a good strawberry flavor and I forgot to get that at the store too! Too many projects this week. icon_smile.gif I'll let you know when I torte it how the texture compares. I always taste before I bake to see if I need more flavoring and it just didn't have that usual good strawberry flavor.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:47pm
post #4785 of 6536

We have a family strawberry cake recipe that you put a box of strawberry jello in as well as fresh strawberries and this is all in a white cake mix. We add 2 tbsp extra flour to compensate for the water in the fresh strawberries. I don't notice any funky taste that people mention sometimes with jello but it maybe because I've been eating this cake my entire life.

GrandmaG Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:25pm
post #4786 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

We have a family strawberry cake recipe that you put a box of strawberry jello in as well as fresh strawberries and this is all in a white cake mix. We add 2 tbsp extra flour to compensate for the water in the fresh strawberries. I don't notice any funky taste that people mention sometimes with jello but it maybe because I've been eating this cake my entire life.

I think that's a good idea! Maybe for the WASC get a sugar free strawberry jello mix. I wonder if strawberry kool ade would work also.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:51pm
post #4787 of 6536

Piccolo, does the s'mores cake have a chocolate taste with one white one chocolate fudge mix? Describe the flavor more please if you can. What color is the graham cracker cake with and without the chocolate mix. Thanks.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:02am
post #4788 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

Piccolo, does the s'mores cake have a chocolate taste with one white one chocolate fudge mix? Describe the flavor more please if you can. What color is the graham cracker cake with and without the chocolate mix. Thanks.

Yes, it definitely has a distinct chocolate taste along with the graham flavor. Oddly enough, there are some little backnotes that remind me of gingerbread - the soft cake kind, not the gingerbread men cookies. It might have something to do with the molasses in the brown sugar combining with the chocolate - that's my guess. The gingerbready flavor isn't overwhelming; it's just an interesting little "kick" that made me perk up, kinda like when you add a little coffee to chocolate. icon_smile.gif

The color of the half-chocolate graham cake is about the same color as a regular chocolate cake, maybe a little lighter. The non-chocolate graham cake is tan.

I'm going to torte the cakes later this evening...I'll try to remember to grab a pic or two of the inside of the cake. icon_smile.gif

steffla Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:18am
post #4789 of 6536

Ha!!! I am sitting here eating chocolate graham crackers and just read your post about the half chocolate graham cracker cake...great find! Thanks for sharing!

Macsmom, wrote down the info about the melted chocolate, thanks. Will let you know when I have the opportunity to try!

As for the cheesecake lovers cake with the cherry cheesecake filling it was delish!!!! The only trouble I had was if you add too much of the cherry pie filling it does make the filling much looser but really good!

To battle that loose problem, for one of the cakes I tried adding the cheesecake mousse (made with frostin pride, chesecake pudding mix and milk, and cream cheese) then layered that with a thin layer of the pie fillling on top.

For another, i added only some of the pie filling liquid and a bunch of the cherries chopped up to bits in to the cheesecake mousse. It was a better, firmer texture but I would say it definitely didnt have as strong of the cherry flavor so maybe a drop or two f Lorann Cherry would have worked.

But all in all, it got rave reviews!

janet2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janet2009 Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:51pm
post #4790 of 6536

Hi,

Does anybody have a good recipe of Mocha Cake? I was asked to make one this weekend and i am wondering if anyone can share her recipe coz i have never made one before. I dont want to experiment several mocha recipes online coz of my limited budget. Macsmon thanks a lot for being generous of sharing your recipes ..i make your orange dreamsicle cake and my mother in law loves it....she wants me to make her some more...lol..

janet2009 Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:53pm
post #4791 of 6536

thanks a lot in advance...

GrandmaG Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:54pm
post #4792 of 6536

I just use the chocolate WASC and add strong brewed coffee for the liquid. Also you can add some instant espresso granules to the mix. I've never used the LorAnn coffee flavoring but you could experiment with that also.

janet2009 Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:33pm
post #4793 of 6536

Thanks GrandmaG....yeah i love the WASC chocolate....so you mean to say i just follow the regular WASC and add instant espresso granules?

GrandmaG Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:43pm
post #4794 of 6536

Use cooled brewed coffee as your liquid. You can add your expresso powder to that to dissolve. If you just add the regular strength cup of coffee you won't get much of a coffee flavor.
Here is a recipe I found here on CC with a good rating that is a mocha cake also.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7024/mocha

janet2009 Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:59pm
post #4795 of 6536

Wow..thank you GrandmaG for your quick reply and for finding the recipe for me.. i appreciate it!i've been trying to search it but i can't find it...oh by the way ...i just found the freckled mocha recipe in here too ...do u have an idea on which one is the best? have you tried it before? again..thanks a lot...

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:51am
post #4796 of 6536

Does anyone know if it makes a huge difference if you use regular champagne instead of 'pink' in the pink champagne cake?

MacsMom Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:58am
post #4797 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

Does anyone know if it makes a huge difference if you use regular champagne instead of 'pink' in the pink champagne cake?

I have found that the less expensive Brut gives the cake a better flavor than a more expensive brand (I compared it to Domaine Chandon). No, it doesn't have to be pink - I use food coloring.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:38am
post #4798 of 6536

awesome, I actually bought Brut tonight hoping someone would say it didn't matter!
icon_smile.gif

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:15pm
post #4799 of 6536

was wondering if somebody could help me with this question. this weekend i made MacsMom's banana cake recipe and swirled it in with choc. cake batter,and used a caramel filling ( very YUMMY!!). i used an 8 and 10 in. round pan (3 in deep) and both of them sunk in the middle. i also just put the banana cake batter by itself in two 9 in round pan (2 in deep) and they both came out fine. why did the other two sink in the middle? was it because i swirled the two cake batters together or was it to much batter in the pan? when we cut them,they were cooked just fine,not undercooked or anything. just cant figure out why the two sunk. they tasted great,just looked funny with a big sink hole in the middle. does anybody have any clue why?
tia
brenda

MacsMom Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:29pm
post #4800 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by BREN28

was wondering if somebody could help me with this question. this weekend i made MacsMom's banana cake recipe and swirled it in with choc. cake batter,and used a caramel filling ( very YUMMY!!). i used an 8 and 10 in. round pan (3 in deep) and both of them sunk in the middle. i also just put the banana cake batter by itself in two 9 in round pan (2 in deep) and they both came out fine. why did the other two sink in the middle? was it because i swirled the two cake batters together or was it to much batter in the pan? when we cut them,they were cooked just fine,not undercooked or anything. just cant figure out why the two sunk. they tasted great,just looked funny with a big sink hole in the middle. does anybody have any clue why?
tia
brenda

Swirling two different batters can make them sink if one is heavier (more dense) than the other. And yes, filling pans too full will also cause them to sink. Sounds to die for!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%