ckckhome Posted 11 May 2010 , 11:47pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckckhome

GrandmaG and MacMom thank you for your assistance the rum cake taste great, I got lots of compliments. I put cola and rum extract in the frosting. I did not like the taste of the buttercream. I only use 1 teaspoon to a 4 cup powder sugar, 1/4 teaspoon rum extract

You're welcome! What part didn't you like in the buttercream? Was it the rum or the cola flavor?

First let me make a correction. I use 1 tablespoon cola. high ratio shortening, sweetex. I use a coke classic. Maybe I did not use enough cola the recipe did not list how much cola. maybe next tasting I will increase the rum and coke. What do you suggest?

GrandmaG Posted 11 May 2010 , 11:54pm

If you just used regular Coke it wouldn't add any Coke flavor. I would have put in a couple tsp. of rum flavoring if not more depending on how big a batch of frosting you made. I always just go by taste.

ckckhome Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:28am
Quote:

If you just used regular Coke it wouldn't add any Coke flavor. I would have put in a couple tsp. of rum flavoring if not more depending on how big a batch of frosting you made. I always just go by taste.

I will try again using a coke next time. I have plenty of time to taste test. I need the cake for mid June

GrandmaG Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:31am

I think you might have misunderstood. I would not use Coke. I would use cola extract in the buttercream and more rum flavor.

ckckhome Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:16am
Quote:

I think you might have misunderstood. I would not use Coke. I would use cola extract in the buttercream and more rum flavor.

I understand, I will locate and purchase cola extract. There is an old time hardware store in town that seIls watkin flavorings and products. I remember seeing a cola extract. Thank u again

kimkake Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:23am

Just came across this thread for first time!!!!!
I'm so excited I almost cried - this is awesome!!!!!!
Thanks so much!!!

emiyeric Posted 14 May 2010 , 8:49pm

I am taking this entire next week off to prepare for my little boy's birthday part (and cake!! icon_smile.gif ) ... very excited, since I get to pick the flavors icon_wink.gif.

For anyone who's done these combos, though, I'm wondering:
1.- The chocolate chip cookie dough filling recipe in the Google Docs (under chocolate chip cookie cake, not under fillings) - I'm a little unclear on how to make it. It mentions flour , and incorporating the flour, but then it seems to suggest spooning the filling onto the cake just like that, without ever having cooked the flour, which I'm sure can't be what they meant ... but I'm substantially confused. Any pointers?
2.- Also, I've never had much success suspending the chocolate chips in a cake, they always sink to the bottom. What do you guys do to make them stay suspended mid-cake, instead of settling to the bottom of the cake? Anyone coat them with flour or anything else?
3.- What are most people using as their filling for the root beer float cake? I've heard the Vanilla mousse suggestion, though it's not in the google doc ... I can just look up a recipe for it somewhere, if it's the consensus. Or the white truffle? Someone mentioned a root beer glaze? I know it's been asked before, but I've never approached root beer anythings before icon_wink.gif.

Thanks for your help, guys!!!

steffla Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:16pm

emiyeric, I haven't done the cookie dough filling yet so I cant help there, though I would be interested in the answer as well.

As for the choc chips in the batter I always have the same problem! I was told to coat them in flour but to be honest, maybe I didnt use enough because they still sank. I know many people use the mini chips so they are smaller and lighter to start with so maybe that would help too. Others have said they coat them in a bit of the cake mix if you are including a box of mix in your recipe. Hope some of that works for you!

For the root beer I got great response when I used the root beer glaze and root beer buttercream inside. I added the anise extract to the cake batter as suggested by macsmom and that was the best advice ever! I will pass along the recipes for the root beer glaze and buttercream if they are not in the google doc. I dont remember where the recipes came from. Just let me know!

emiyeric Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:57pm

Steffla, I would LOVE the recipes, thank you so much! The root beer stuff sounded WONDERFUL! And I don't have a mousse filling recipe either, so any and all of your fillings for the rootbeer would be SO appreciated!

Any other suggestions for the sinking chocolate chips, anybody?

Butterpatty Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:14pm

I put a spoonful of dry cake mix in the bowl or bag with my chips and toss it around. Not perfect, but it does seem to help.

emiyeric Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:32pm

Thanks, Butterpatty! I just never have had luck with the curse of the chips icon_sad.gif. They melt and make little craters in my cakes, or they form a layer of candy at the bottom of the pan. icon_sad.gif ... thanks for the tip icon_smile.gif.

ladyonzlake Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:54pm

I use a pound cake when I make chocolate chip cake. The heavier batter holds them up instead of sinking.

andreac999 Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:30pm

Help icon_smile.gif I've tried making both the banana & butterscotch cakes from the google doc and they were disasters. The tops got really crispy and the middle/insides took forever to cook and were still "raw". I ended up tossing both of them and making something else. I've made some of the others (cherry chocolate chip and WASC & they were great). I think I read somewhere in this thread that it might be because of the large amount of sugar. Does anyone have any suggestions or modifications to the recipes???

TracyLH Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:01pm

I thought that I would add that I have had great flavoring success with the all-natural flavorings and extracts from Spices Etc. I discovered them when I was trying to find an all-natural Coconut flavoring and saw that Cook's Illustrated rated their Coconut flavoring the winner. I tried that one and others and have been thrilled.

I am primarily a cookie decorator and I use them in the dough and in the RI. It has really increased my flavor options with rave reviews. I have also used their flavors in cakes, cupcakes and fondant with great results too. In cookies I have used Coconut, Lime, Orange, Cherry, Lemon, Pumpkin Pie Spice, Two Fold Vanilla, Almond, Raspberry and I love, love, love their Clear Vanilla thumbs_up.gif It is perfect for when I need a flavoring in my RI that will not compete with the cookie flavor or when I am doing white or a light colored RI (no color tint as with normal vanilla). party.gif

For the cakes, cupcakes, and fondant, I have used Clear Vanilla (perfect for white or light colored fondant or buttercream), Coconut, Orange, Lemon, Almond and Lime. Again, rave reivews on the taste. There are more flavors that I would use for cakes, etc, but as mentioned, I primarily do cookies.

I know that they are developing even more flavors (White Chocolate and Tres Leches are two that I know of and even some fun flavors like Cotton Candy and Bubblegum ). Here is a link to what they have thus far if anyone wants to see it:

www.spicesetc.com/category/Natural-Flavorings/a

Also, as we are all watching our money, here are coupon codes for a first time order:

CC9 flat rate shipping of $4.95 for orders within the US only
AKT9 15% for US or international orders (discount taken before shipping costs)

Choose the one code that applies to you or what you want and enter it at the beginning of checkout and then continue on.

The Flat Rate shipping will be the first option for shipping under the billing information and the 15% off will show up when looking at the summary.

Once you are on their e-mail list, you will get other discount codes (reduced shipping, free shipping, 25% off on your order, etc.)

So this is what I have use and have been very pleased with for increasing my flavor options. icon_smile.gif It has also been great fun to pair flavors by having one in the cake/cookieand another in the fondant/RI. thumbs_up.gif

kilikina_24 Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:02pm

I made a Snickers cake for a bake sale auction at my son's school this week....there was a fight over it icon_biggrin.gif

I've made it before and it's been a big hit!!

dandelion56602 Posted 15 May 2010 , 5:13pm

I have used the cookiedough filling. No need to bake, it doesn't have egg. It's not suppose to be a cookie though, it's dough consistency and has the dough flavor

My dd picked her flavors again this year. Key Lime w/ strawberry filling & orange w/ Pineapple filling. Both were great, but I paired some left over orange cake scraps w/ some leftover strawberry filling & liked that even better

kilikina_24 Posted 15 May 2010 , 5:23pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

I have used the cookiedough filling. No need to bake, it doesn't have egg. It's not suppose to be a cookie though, it's dough consistency and has the dough flavor

My dd picked her flavors again this year. Key Lime w/ strawberry filling & orange w/ Pineapple filling. Both were great, but I paired some left over orange cake scraps w/ some leftover strawberry filling & liked that even better

Those sound so good and fun for spring and summer!!!

I've used the cookie dough filling too--it's really good!! Our favorite ice cream is cookie dough ice cream--I'd say the filling is similar to the little chunks you find in that.

emiyeric Posted 15 May 2010 , 5:39pm

Awesome, guys, thanks for the cookie dough tips! My little guy wanted a chocolate chip cake with cookie dough filling, a coconut cake with pineapple filling (after I made a friend a Pina Colada cake and he loved the basic idea behind the flavor combination), and a rootbeer float. I love it that my kiddos are actually more adventurous than most of my friends (it's like pulling teeth sometimes to get people to try something outside of the very very basic flavors!).

As far as the chips sinking in the batter, that sounds like a good suggestion, making the batter be a dense one. I don't usually do pound cake, but some of the WASC variations can be pretty dense (thinking of the chocolate one in particular). Any suggestions to making the batter heavier so the chips sink less?

MacsMom Posted 17 May 2010 , 4:55pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterpatty

I put a spoonful of dry cake mix in the bowl or bag with my chips and toss it around. Not perfect, but it does seem to help.

I spray the chips with Pam first and then coat in dry mix, works like a charm.

BREN28 Posted 17 May 2010 , 5:04pm

MacsMom,i tried your lemon cake recipe with a lemon curd and raspberry filling. everybody LOVED it!! thanks again for providing so many wonderful recipes!

MacsMom Posted 17 May 2010 , 5:11pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreac999

Help icon_smile.gif I've tried making both the banana & butterscotch cakes from the google doc and they were disasters. The tops got really crispy and the middle/insides took forever to cook and were still "raw". I ended up tossing both of them and making something else. I've made some of the others (cherry chocolate chip and WASC & they were great). I think I read somewhere in this thread that it might be because of the large amount of sugar. Does anyone have any suggestions or modifications to the recipes???

I haven't had that problem, but the banana is more moist and takes longer because of the fruit. Yes, it is the extra sugar that makes the tops crispier and the cake heavier, so add an extra egg and reduce the white sugar in the recipe. I usually bake at 325 for the first 45 mins and then increase the oven to 350.

GrandmaG Posted 17 May 2010 , 5:35pm

Is the strawberry BC mix too artificial for the strawberry WASC cake? Has anyone tried it?

emiyeric Posted 17 May 2010 , 5:42pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterpatty

I spray the chips with Pam first and then coat in dry mix, works like a charm.

Awesome, love it! Thanks, guys!

MacsMom Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:01pm
Quote:

Is the strawberry BC mix too artificial for the strawberry WASC cake? Has anyone tried it?

Yuck-O! The cake comes out dense and artificial. I just made one last weekend. Adding strawberry puree to white mix with LoRann strawberry flavoring is my next attempt, but the last time I used puree I used 2 cups and it was too much - too dense. Next time I will use 1 cup puree with 1-2/3 cups strawberry soda - I love how my cakes turn out when I use soda.

steffla Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:02pm

macsmom you always have the best tips!!! Spraying the chips with pam and the change in oven temp during baking....very helpful, thanks!!!!

steffla Posted 17 May 2010 , 11:21pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiyeric

Steffla, I would LOVE the recipes, thank you so much! The root beer stuff sounded WONDERFUL! And I don't have a mousse filling recipe either, so any and all of your fillings for the rootbeer would be SO appreciated!

Any other suggestions for the sinking chocolate chips, anybody?

sorry~! Here they are, I dont remember who shared them originally I apologize:

root beer frosting:
2 cups powdered sugar
pinch salt
1 dram lorann root beer
1 stick butter

root beer glaze:
4 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup root beer
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp veg oil

plus the advice I got from macsmom said when making the root beer float cake, use about 2/3 root beer batter and 1/3 of wasc(vanilla). Marble the white cake batter into the root beer batter in the pan. It came out delicious! I used the root beer float recipe from the google doc with the lorann flavoring and added 1/2 tsp of anise extract. Yummy!

As far as mousse fillings, I use the ones suggested on this thread and change them a million ways. I used the frostin pride instead of bettercreme but i hear they are both good. I mix 2 cups of frostin pride with a box of pudding that is combined seperately with about 1/2 cup of milk or so. It is super delicious if you add that whole thing to 16 oz. of whipped cream cheese...omg seriously good!!!! So you could just as easily use a vanilla pudding withsome vanilla extract and make that mousse for in the root beer float cake and it would be a awesome. Pluls they sell root beer ice cream syrup which is probably fabulous mixed into the mousse too!!!

steph

emiyeric Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:27am

That sounds fantastic, Steph, thank so much! The cakes are baked as of now, and now I just need to get the fillings ready ... yum! Thanks for all your help!

GrandmaG Posted 18 May 2010 , 1:28am

I've only made rootbeer cupcakes and I use Bettercreme with rootbeer flavoring or rootbeer sundae syrup. Really yummy! I fill with vanilla Bettercreme.

sgalvan62 Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:20am

Macsmom what did i do wrong? i baked three cakes this weeked, wasc strawberry, peaches and cream, rootbeer float. ug! all three got hard and crispy around the edge and middle sank in, but i didn't waste them we still at them they just didn't look pretty and had to scape of hard parts icon_cry.gif any adice would be helpful thanks

MacsMom Posted 18 May 2010 , 2:27am

Did you use DH or BC cake mix?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%