2 tsp burnt sugar or caramel flavoring

Here's a glaze recipe:
SAUCE:
1 cup Coca-Cola
1½ cups white sugar
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
12 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup dark rum
Bring the Coke, sugar and corn syrup to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Continue cooking, at medium-high heat, stirring frequently until syrup thickens. Remove from heat and immediately stir in butter and rum.

You can also buy cola extract if you want to make a frosting.

ckckhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckckhome Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:40am
post #4683 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckckhome

Help Macsmom, GrandmaG need assistance with a WASC Rum cake

I was thinking Rum and Coke flavor HELP

This is what I would do:
2 white cake mixes
2 c flour
1 t salt
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 C cola
2/3 C rum
1 package vanilla pudding mix
2 cups sour cream or 2 C caramel yogurt
6 eggs
1/3 c oil

Here's a glaze recipe:
SAUCE:
1 cup Coca-Cola
1½ cups white sugar
12 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup dark rum
Bring the Coke, sugar and corn syrup to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Continue cooking, at medium-high heat, stirring frequently until syrup thickens. Remove from heat and immediately stir in butter and rum.

Thank you GrandmaG , I will try the recipe this weekend.

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:40am
post #4684 of 6536

I was wondering, anyone know how many cupcakes a batch of WASC will make? I know its about 14-15 cups of batter but not sure howmany cupcakes that would translate into. Any differences with the recipes?

and that recipe sounds delish by the way!!! Cant wait to try it!

And macsmom, I totally know what you mean about the price difference but flavor wise, there is no question that frostin pride is hugely different!!! My fillings were a huge hit!!!

I cant thank you all enough for all the help and advice over the last few weeks. Everything went very well and the cake was a huge hit!! Top flavors were the rainbow cake with cheesecake filling and the root beer float!...followed by the orange creamsicle! You guys are fabulous!
LL

steffla Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:46am
post #4685 of 6536

never mind, sorry! Just saw it says 5 doz cupcakes! thumbs_up.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:49am
post #4686 of 6536

Wow Steffla, that is an amazing looking cake!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:27am
post #4687 of 6536

So after I spent $25 on 4 bags of green mint baking chips online because I couldn't find them in any stores that I could think of looking, I stumbled on them in World Market!! icon_mad.gif

Thought I'd let you know, if you have a World Market in your area buy your flavored chips there (though I did still have to spend $25 on cherry chips, poop).

steffla Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:59am
post #4688 of 6536

Good to know about the chips! I think we do have a world market here...have to go check!

Thanks GrandmaG!

qubanqtee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qubanqtee Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:06am
post #4689 of 6536

this thread is a dream come true!

Thanks to all of you for all the help, suggestions and great ideas!

cupcakeatheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeatheart Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:02pm
post #4690 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

So after I spent $25 on 4 bags of green mint baking chips online because I couldn't find them in any stores that I could think of looking, I stumbled on them in World Market!! icon_mad.gif

Thought I'd let you know, if you have a World Market in your area buy your flavored chips there (though I did still have to spend $25 on cherry chips, poop).

I was just looking at those online today to see if I could get them cheaper on in bulk somewhere...The Andes Dream cake is soo expensive to make

ckckhome Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:31pm
post #4691 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is what I would do:
2 white cake mixes
2 c flour
1 t salt
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 C cola
2/3 C rum
6 eggs
1/3 c oil

Here's a glaze recipe:
SAUCE:
1 cup Coca-Cola
1½ cups white sugar
12 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup dark rum

Question: GrandmaG, If I make a half batch for a three layer cake do I use half of the vanilla pudding or use all. Also the oil do I half it or can it remain as is?

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 6 May 2010 , 9:48pm
post #4692 of 6536

Hey guys, I was asked to make a mocha cake. I waswondering whatcombination will help the coffee flavour come through, since coffee tends to enhance the chocolate flavour. I wasthinking using1 chocolate and 1 white cake mix and use esspresso for a large part of the liquid. Has anyone tied this before?

MacsMom Posted 6 May 2010 , 10:03pm
post #4693 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is what I would do:
2 white cake mixes
2 c flour
1 t salt
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 C cola
2/3 C rum
6 eggs
1/3 c oil

Here's a glaze recipe:
SAUCE:
1 cup Coca-Cola
1?cups white sugar
12 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup dark rum

Question: GrandmaG, If I make a half batch for a three layer cake do I use half of the vanilla pudding or use all. Also the oil do I half it or can it remain as is?

You can skip the pudding or halve it - a whole pouch is too much. Use 2 tbls oil.

MacsMom Posted 6 May 2010 , 10:06pm
post #4694 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouchet82

Hey guys, I was asked to make a mocha cake. I waswondering whatcombination will help the coffee flavour come through, since coffee tends to enhance the chocolate flavour. I wasthinking using1 chocolate and 1 white cake mix and use esspresso for a large part of the liquid. Has anyone tied this before?

Yes, 1 chocolate and 1 white, use chocolate pudding and either Nielsen Masseys coffee extract or LoRann coffee flavor. Brewed coffee for the liquid. If you can't find coffee extract, add a tbls or two of instant coffee crystals. The LoRann coffee flavoring is great in the truffle filling using milk chocolate chips.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 6 May 2010 , 10:07pm
post #4695 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouchet82

Yes, 1 chocolate and 1 white, use chocolate pudding and either Nielsen Masseys coffee extract or LoRann coffee flavor. Brewed coffee for the liquid. If you can't find coffee extract, add a tbls or two of instant coffee crystals. The LoRann coffee flavoring is great in the truffle filling using milk chocolate chips.

Thanks for the quick reply!

GrandmaG Posted 6 May 2010 , 11:32pm
post #4696 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is what I would do:
2 white cake mixes
2 c flour
1 t salt
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 C cola
2/3 C rum
6 eggs
1/3 c oil

Here's a glaze recipe:
SAUCE:
1 cup Coca-Cola
1½ cups white sugar
12 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup dark rum

I use a half pkg. pudding mix when I half my recipes. Also 2 T oil for that.

MacsMom Posted 7 May 2010 , 8:43pm
post #4697 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

I'm rereading this thread and I'm on page 65 so far.

Macsmom, I've changed my mind about the carrot cake and other flavors for my Mother's Day bouquets. I wanted something different and I believe I've found it in your Graham Cracker cake. I will fill the cupcakes with strawberry filling iced in bc flavored with lorann's cheesecake oil.

I'm using Indydebi's bc recipe (2 lbs. of powdered sugar, 3-4 Tblsp. of flavoring); how many drams should I use and is it a good cheesecake flavor or is there something to enhance the cc flavor?

I'm making this cake from a mix using just pudding and sourcream and it will be half recipe.
Does this sound right considering I'm omitting the flour and sugar

1 white cake mix
1/2 c ground graham cracker
3/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c honey
4 egg whites ( I'm curious, why just the whites?)
1 1/3 c water
1/8 c veg. oil
1 c sour cream
2 tsps. clear vanilla (is dark vanilla ok that's all I have?)
1 box of pudding

With the clear vanilla, what color is the batter/finished cake? TIA

Why are you omitting the flour and sugar? With 2 cups total of less dry ingredients, I can't be sure how it will turn out if you use 1-1/3 c water plus 1/4 c honey.

If you can't use the flour and sugar, I would use only 2/3 cup water, 3 egg whites, 3/4 c sour cream, and 1/2 of the pudding mix. A whole box of pudding may make them too soft for cupcake bouquets (so moist that they fall apart).

I prefer whites in cakes that I think might be a bit heavy - higher sugar content binds more moisture. Because grahams and honey add more sugar to the recipe, the added fat from the yolks might be bit much.

*I use light brown sugar, but that is only a matter of preference. Whether you use light or dark it won't affect the way the cake bakes, but it will darken the color and add a bit more of a molasses edge (which you likely wouldn't even notice).

And yes, I actually didn't even notice the recipe says "clear" vanilla - dark is just fine.

Is there a reason you can't use regular cream cheese frosting? The LoRann cream cheese is pretty strong, so one dram should do.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 8 May 2010 , 1:22am
post #4698 of 6536

Thanks Macsmom.

A few years ago, I tried the wasc and no one really cared for it; to me I tasted flour. I was told by some cc members that it was probably how I measured the flour. I was stuck in the house one day and decided to try one of your recipes and didn't have flour or enough sugar. I used the same amount of liquid from your recipe or half your recipe because that's what's called for on the box; all other meausurements stayed the same. People love it. I always use sugar free pudding (it's a very little amount in the box; I use the whole thing. I'm using the cup method for the bouquets; been there, done that with the toothpick method.

The customers asked for a non-refrigerated icing/filling. So. 1 dram would be all I need for Indydebi's bc recipe; it has 2 lbs. of powdered sugar?

MacsMom Posted 8 May 2010 , 1:50am
post #4699 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

Thanks Macsmom.

A few years ago, I tried the wasc and no one really cared for it; to me I tasted flour. I was told by some cc members that it was probably how I measured the flour. I was stuck in the house one day and decided to try one of your recipes and didn't have flour or enough sugar. I used the same amount of liquid from your recipe or half your recipe because that's what's called for on the box; all other meausurements stayed the same. People love it. I always use sugar free pudding (it's a very little amount in the box; I use the whole thing. I'm using the cup method for the bouquets; been there, done that with the toothpick method.

The customers asked for a non-refrigerated icing/filling. So. 1 dram would be all I need for Indydebi's bc recipe; it has 2 lbs. of powdered sugar?

Yes, the cheesecake is one their stronger flavors. You can always add another if you don't think it is strong enough. Also, adding 8oz of cream cheese to 2 lbs powdered sugar will hold up just fine.

GrandmaG Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:31pm
post #4700 of 6536

Is there any LorAnn flavored oils that aren't good to use? I just ruined a batch of lemonade frosting using the lemonade flavor? It tastes great to start with but it has this lingering bad taste in my mouth. Anything I can do to fix it? I've added another batch of frosting with it and still the after taste.

MacsMom Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:32pm
post #4701 of 6536
Quote:

Is there any LorAnn flavored oils that aren't good to use? I just ruined a batch of lemonade frosting using the lemonade flavor? It tastes great to start with but it has this lingering bad taste in my mouth. Anything I can do to fix it? I've added another batch of frosting with it and still the after taste.

Heat some vanilla creamer and stir flour into the hot creamer, then add it to the yucky batch. Then if you have to add more PS it will help fight the sweetness - I also use 1 1/2 tsp salt in my BC.

The bavarian cream is another flavor to avoid - way overpowering. I use the regular lemon and find it is perfect. And I prefer the regular orange over the orange cream.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 8 May 2010 , 7:18pm
post #4702 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

Heat some vanilla creamer and stir flour into the hot creamer, then add it to the yucky batch. Then if you have to add more PS it will help fight the sweetness - I also use 1 1/2 tsp salt in my BC.

The bavarian cream is another flavor to avoid - way overpowering. I use the regular lemon and find it is perfect. And I prefer the regular orange over the orange cream.

Cherry is terrible to.

GrandmaG Posted 8 May 2010 , 8:05pm
post #4703 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemama2

Quote:

Quote:

Cherry is terrible to.

Thanks! Good to know before I waste my money on those flavors. You say regular lemon is OK though?
I ended up making a new batch and just using concentrated lemonade and lemon juice. I'm keeping the old batch though and going to try to revive it with MacsMom's idea. I hate to throw it out but may have to.

MacsMom Posted 8 May 2010 , 11:30pm
post #4704 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemama2

Quote:

Quote:

Cherry is terrible to.

Thanks! Good to know before I waste my money on those flavors. You say regular lemon is OK though?
I ended up making a new batch and just using concentrated lemonade and lemon juice. I'm keeping the old batch though and going to try to revive it with MacsMom's idea. I hate to throw it out but may have to.

It's not so much that the cherry is bad, it's just super strong, so you only need a drop! Yes, regular lemon is wonderful.

I've also found out that Champagne, Brandy, and Rum smell so similar that I don't see a reason why you need indidividual drams - I stick with Rum. I also use Rum flavor for Bailey's Irish Cream cakes thumbs_up.gif

MicahS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicahS Posted 10 May 2010 , 1:27am
post #4705 of 6536

First off I apologize if this question has already been asked and is drifting somewhere in this very long discussion. I did not read all of it, but I did do a search.

I have the recipe for Tiramisu cake from Macs Mom and it has been requested by a friend. I've never baked this cake before.

Edit: Just realized that PS is Powdered Sugar - sigh

The filling calls for 2 cups Frostin Pride - is there a homemade equivalent that I could substitute for that?

Thank you for anyone who bails me out on this. . . .
One abbreviation challenged cook.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:31am
post #4706 of 6536

I like McCormick's Rum & Brandy flavors. The rum is more of a butter rum flavor, but YUMMY! And yes, cherry is VERY strong. There is a topic on bettercreme alternatives. I'll see if I can find it & report back. icon_wink.gif

ETA:
Here's the link to mock bettercreme
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-597074.html

GrandmaG Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:23pm
post #4707 of 6536

I posted a stabalized whipped cream recipe a while back. I don't know if it's in the recipe file or not. It's here on CC though.

ckckhome Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:38pm
post #4708 of 6536

GrandmaG and MacMom thank you for your assistance the rum cake taste great, I got lots of compliments. I put cola and rum extract in the frosting. I did not like the taste of the buttercream. I only use 1 teaspoon to a 4 cup powder sugar, 1/4 teaspoon rum extract

GrandmaG Posted 10 May 2010 , 10:48pm
post #4709 of 6536
Quote:

GrandmaG and MacMom thank you for your assistance the rum cake taste great, I got lots of compliments. I put cola and rum extract in the frosting. I did not like the taste of the buttercream. I only use 1 teaspoon to a 4 cup powder sugar, 1/4 teaspoon rum extract

You're welcome! What part didn't you like in the buttercream? Was it the rum or the cola flavor?

sgalvan62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgalvan62 Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:52am
post #4710 of 6536

Macsmom,

i'm a newbie here and all i can say is OMG! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%