Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

ckckhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckckhome Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:35pm
post #4501 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckckhome

Friend gave me several boxes of BC yellow mix with pudding. Do I increase the oil add sourcream to get the same moistness of the BC yellow mix WASC. Please advise.

Did you mean to say that they do NOT have pudding in them? I always use BC mixes, I've never paid attention to whethr pudding was in them or not. In nay case, the WASC wil be just as moist, especially if you use the creamer, no need to adjust.

Seriously, I've over-baked cakes by 30mins twice on accident and they were still so moist that I used them anyway!

Sorry for the confusion- a friend gave me 6 boxes of BC yellow with pudding. I normally purchase the yellow mix no pudding added. Do I need to make any adjustment oil etc. using the yellow with pudding in a WASC version.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:28pm
post #4502 of 6536

I've never seen it with pudding. You'll probably just have to experiment but I would leave out the extra pudding maybe.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:42pm
post #4503 of 6536

I've used the mix with pudding, made the cinnamon WASC - came out great.

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:02pm
post #4504 of 6536

macsmom and grandmag thanks for all the great advice! I will try the whole egg and egg white combo on the creamsicle and will definitely do the raspberry pie filling in the food processor if I cant find a sleeve of it! You guys are so helpful it is crazy, I would be nowhere without you....

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:18pm
post #4505 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Friend gave me several boxes of BC yellow mix with pudding. Do I increase the oil add sourcream to get the same moistness of the BC yellow mix WASC. Please advise.

Did you mean to say that they do NOT have pudding in them? I always use BC mixes, I've never paid attention to whethr pudding was in them or not. In nay case, the WASC wil be just as moist, especially if you use the creamer, no need to adjust.

Seriously, I've over-baked cakes by 30mins twice on accident and they were still so moist that I used them anyway!

Sorry for the confusion- a friend gave me 6 boxes of BC yellow with pudding. I normally purchase the yellow mix no pudding added. Do I need to make any adjustment oil etc. using the yellow with pudding in a WASC version.

Are you sure BC makes "no pudding" mixes? In the lower left hand corner of my white mixes, it says, "As always, pudding in the mix".
It isn't in your face, but it's there. I always use BC and always add pudding.

MacsMom Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:25pm
post #4506 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffla

Ok also, I am doing a cake for an upcoming charity event that is mainly for adults but has a very childlike theme and vibe. It is for an organization that helps children with cancer so they are providing very childlike desserts, cotton candy, rice krispies treats, gumballs etc. icon_lol.gif They told me to have fun with the flavors so here is what I am thinking...

root beer float

orange creamsicle...

I think I have found the perfect egg combo for cakes that have a tendency to sink (high sugar content): 3 whole eggs and 5 egg whites. Try that with the orange creamsicle thumbs_up.gif

Oh, and it was only like 1/2 tsp of anise in the rootbeer.

When you make the half box recipes for your tastings do you use one egg or one egg and one egg white?

Here is my 1/4 recipe (half-box) - fills one 7" round:
2 cups mix (chocolate mixes 1 1/2 cups - the choc mix has less volume because it is heavier... I think)
1/2 c flour
1/2 c sugar
1/4 tsp - rounded, salt
1 tbls dry pudding mix
1/2 c sour cream or yogurt
3/4 c liquid
2 egg whites - or 1 egg + 1 white (if using high sugar liquids)
1 tbls oil

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:55pm
post #4507 of 6536

To MacsMom.... Do you have a good banana nut cake recipe that starts with a cake mix base?....or anything will do. Everything you touch is wonderful! THANK YOU!!!!

GrandmaG Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:36pm
post #4508 of 6536

Oh OK so you use 3/4 C. liquid instead of 2/3 C. Why is that?

GrandmaG Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:38pm
post #4509 of 6536
MacsMom Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:18am
post #4510 of 6536
Quote:

Oh OK so you use 3/4 C. liquid instead of 2/3 C. Why is that?

That's funny, just my brain not working from lack of sleep and not realizing that it should be 2/3 cup. icon_rolleyes.gif

blue123 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:57am
post #4511 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue123

To MacsMom.... Do you have a good banana nut cake recipe that starts with a cake mix base?....or anything will do. Everything you touch is wonderful! THANK YOU!!!!

Help Please...Thank you!

MacsMom Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:04am
post #4512 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

Help Please...Thank you!

Oh! Sorry. The banana cake recipe is in the google doc (in my sig line). Just add 1 1/2 cups chopped, toasted walnuts to it. (More or less, depending on your preference for nuts)

DEANCROTALID Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEANCROTALID Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:28am
post #4513 of 6536

WOW!! Everyone has such great ideas!! It makes me smile that everyone is willing to help one another icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:28am
post #4514 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANCROTALID

WOW!! Everyone has such great ideas!! It makes me smile that everyone is willing to help one another icon_smile.gif

Me, too. And it helps [business] that Costco doesn't make any of these flavors... icon_rolleyes.gif

cakemamaP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemamaP Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:28am
post #4515 of 6536

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!! You ladies are so fabulous for sharing your wealth of knowledge!! Thank you so very much, I was just going to peek on CC for a second...now an hour later I must get off after only having seen a fraction of these threads!!

blue123 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:34am
post #4516 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Help Please...Thank you!

Oh! Sorry. The banana cake recipe is in the google doc (in my sig line). Just add 1 1/2 cups chopped, toasted walnuts to it. (More or less, depending on your preference for nuts)

Thank you sooooo much! I will be trying this tomorrow.

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:30am
post #4517 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANCROTALID

Me, too. And it helps [business] that Costco doesn't make any of these flavors... icon_rolleyes.gif

I couldn't agree more!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:54am
post #4518 of 6536
Quote:

I've never seen it with pudding. You'll probably just have to experiment but I would leave out the extra pudding maybe.

Betty Crocker and Pillsbury brands have pudding already added in the cake mix. Duncan Hines doesn't contain pudding mix in the cake mix.

HTH

DelusionsOfGrandeur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelusionsOfGrandeur Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:18pm
post #4519 of 6536

MacsMom, I have a question, if you don't mind, about the Chocolate WASC recipe that you have listed in your google doc. How much batter does that make up?

DelusionsOfGrandeur Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:21pm
post #4520 of 6536

Also, can anyone recommend a strawberry filling recipe that is delicious (being paired with chocolate cake) and does not use any kind of cream, bettercreme, frostin pride, etc.? I can't seem to find any of the shelf stable creams in my area and I don't have time to order anything online. Thanks!

MacsMom Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:52pm
post #4521 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelusionsOfGrandeur

MacsMom, I have a question, if you don't mind, about the Chocolate WASC recipe that you have listed in your google doc. How much batter does that make up?

I've never measured the batter, but I try to keep of pan sizes it fills. Here is the original recipe:
http://www.recipezaar.com/White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Wedding-Cake-69630

A list of pan sizes it fills:
One 14" square
14" & 6" round
11" & 9" round
13" & 6" round
12x18" sheet
8"9"10" round (barely)
12"8" & 6" round
Two 9" squares
Two 8" & one 7" square (not full, but I do it anyway)

Half recipe:
Two 7" rounds
One 11" square
Two 6" rounds and 6 cupcakes

Three mix recipe (One + half):
11"10"9" round
11" petal pan, two 7" rounds, and 6"4" round

DelusionsOfGrandeur Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:05pm
post #4522 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

I've never measured the batter, but I try to keep of pan sizes it fills. Here is the original recipe:
http://www.recipezaar.com/White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Wedding-Cake-69630

A list of pan sizes it fills:
One 14" square
14" & 6" round
11" & 9" round
13" & 6" round
12x18" sheet
8"9"10" round (barely)
12"8" & 6" round
Two 9" squares
Two 8" & one 7" square (not full, but I do it anyway)

Half recipe:
Two 7" rounds
One 11" square
Two 6" rounds and 6 cupcakes

Three mix recipe (One + half):
11"10"9" round
11" petal pan, two 7" rounds, and 6"4" round

Thanks! I assume that the amount of batter produced by the chocolate WASC is more than the other recipes? Also, I see that a half recipe fills one 11" square. I need to bake a 12" square, but I only have 1 pan. Would you fill it with a half batch or would you try to make a 3/4 batch?

MacsMom Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:20pm
post #4523 of 6536
Quote:

Also, can anyone recommend a strawberry filling recipe that is delicious (being paired with chocolate cake) and does not use any kind of cream, bettercreme, frostin pride, etc.? I can't seem to find any of the shelf stable creams in my area and I don't have time to order anything online. Thanks!

I just make the white chocolate truffle without the Bettercreme, but I beat the white chocolate and cream cheese a long time (like you would whipped ganache). Beat in 1/4 to 1/2 cup strawberry preserves.

MacsMom Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:29pm
post #4524 of 6536
Quote:

I see that a half recipe fills one 11" square. I need to bake a 12" square, but I only have 1 pan. Would you fill it with a half batch or would you try to make a 3/4 batch?

I would just add an extra 1/4 c of sugar, flour and sour cream, increase the liquids to 2-3/4 c, add an extra egg white, and increase the oil to 1/3 c. Maybe also add an extra tsp of flavoring. These small increases in everything but the mix won't noticeably affect the cake (I've done it a few times).

cupcakeatheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeatheart Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:36pm
post #4525 of 6536

I have looked everywhere for Bettercreme and can't find it.. icon_sad.gif Has anyone had success using a substitute for the Frosting Pride/Bettercreme in the Strawberry Cheesecake filling?

MacsMom Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:59pm
post #4526 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeatheart

I have looked everywhere for Bettercreme and can't find it.. icon_sad.gif Has anyone had success using a substitute for the Frosting Pride/Bettercreme in the Strawberry Cheesecake filling?

You can use Cool Whip or homemade whipped ream, it just requires refrigeration.

cupcakeatheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeatheart Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:01pm
post #4527 of 6536

oooo great idea! Thanks Macmom. I made your coconut cake with the chocolate truffle filling last night.. food esctasy!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:51pm
post #4528 of 6536

I'm planning on making the Guinness cake for my brother's bday tomorrow. I'm wondering what the consistency is like. I've read reviews of other recipes & it's more like a fudgy brownie. We like more cake like consistency. If it's brownie like I may add an extra egg & 1/4 tsp of baking soda (think that will take care of it?

I was going to fill it w/ the Irish Cream filling but our budget is tight & I just don't buy liquor except for baking, so I don't want to spend a lot at the liquor store & be stuck w/ something I won't use. So, any ideas for a filling? Would an espresso flavored filling go well w/ it? I've never had Guinness so I don't know what it tastes like or what would go well

GrandmaG Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 3:08pm
post #4529 of 6536

For those who can't find Bettercreme I found this recipe here on CC for stabalized whipping cream and if you scroll down Cake Deanna has a good idea too.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7347/amazing-stabilized-whipping-cream

Also I have made the Guiness cake and it didn't turn out brownie like at all. The Guiness just gives it a nice rich flavor but it is a cake consistency.

GrandmaG Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 3:19pm
post #4530 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Are you sure BC makes "no pudding" mixes? In the lower left hand corner of my white mixes, it says, "As always, pudding in the mix".
It isn't in your face, but it's there. I always use BC and always add pudding.

I've never noticed it before but it is in the lower left corner! The only box it's not on is the Pound Cake box.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%