Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 3:53am
post #4261 of 6536

Make the WASC using caramel creamer, swirl the batter with the caramel listed in the google doc under "bakeable caramel filling", stir in chocolate chips and toffee bits (Heath baking pieces). Stir in salted peanuts if there are no allergies that you know of.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:06pm
post #4262 of 6536

AWESOME!!!! THANK YOU!!!!! (((((HUGS)))))) I really appreciate it!

bakeawish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeawish Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:25pm
post #4263 of 6536

I just touched on this thread , but I wanted to reply so I coul11d read through it when I have more time! thanks for all the great ideas gus

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:48pm
post #4264 of 6536

This thread and the google doc from it is amazing and has really helped me expand my "baking box".
My dd has a bday coming up soon and has told me she wants a mint choco chip cake with chocolate ganache. Does anyone have a recipe for a mint cake or has someone tried to mix the WASC with mint and how it worked? I have searched and havent found one that isnt chocolate itself. Thank you everyone

MacsMom Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 1:36am
post #4265 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by scionmom

This thread and the google doc from it is amazing and has really helped me expand my "baking box".
My dd has a bday coming up soon and has told me she wants a mint choco chip cake with chocolate ganache. Does anyone have a recipe for a mint cake or has someone tried to mix the WASC with mint and how it worked? I have searched and havent found one that isnt chocolate itself. Thank you everyone

Yep! White cake, right? I added LoRann creme de Menthe and a bit of green food coloring, used chocolate chips in the batter and spread a thin layer of melted mint baking pieces (stick in freezer to harden) under a chocolate mint truffle filling. It was great!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:59pm
post #4266 of 6536

Oooh, that sounds yummy!

Well, I have been experimenting. I've been wanting a Apple WASC. So, after some flops I was pleased w/ my last one. I only made 1/4 of the recipe & it's a good thing b/c i have sooo much to be making cake balls with I may be making them for teacher appreciation! But I don't see why it couldn't be made w/ original amounts, just adjust the amounts

Apple WASC

1/2 White BC Mix
1/2 C AP Flour
1/2 C Sugar (2 T reserved to mix w/ chopped apples)
3/8 tsp Salt
1 1/2 Egg (I weighed 75 g)
2/3 C Water
1/2 C Apple Turnover Yogurt
1 tsp Vanilla
1 T Cinnamon
1 C Chopped Apple (I used Gala)

I placed 2 T of sugar w/ the chopped apple, then assembled the remaining ingredients in a bowl. I then added the apple & mixed on low 2 min. It did take longer to bake, but I may not have squeezed out my bake even strip enough.

Placing the apples w/ the sugar before hand creates a little syrup that I think adds to the moistness. I struggled w/ the apples b/c you can replace oil w/ applesauce but I was not sure about apples themselves. I accidently left out the oil this time, but the results were good. I had enough for 3 cupcakes that didn't last. And when dh told me he'd pay $3 for that cupcake I felt the recipe was good enough to share. If you wanted to add the oil I would cut it in 1/2 or your cake will become greasy.

This texture was as close to WASC out of all I've tried. I'm sure it could be carved after chilled, but don't know that I would b/c I wouldn't want to chance cutting w/ the apple chunks

OK, now after all of that I'm going to ask your opinions. I am going to be experimenting with a White Chocolate Blackberry (since blackberries are my dh's favorite food) & I think I'll fill it w/ White Chocolate Truffle. It will be a bottom tier, then the apple will be the middle tier. Would White Chocolate Truffle mixed w/ caramel be a good filling? Then what would be a good flavor cake to go w/ those. It doesn't have to be fruit, but I'm not wanting chocoalte. But I would like it to compliment & not stick out like a sore thumb. He loves Key Lime also, but I think it's a "jump out at ya" kind of flavor & would just seem weird, but maybe that's just me. I will be trying my hand at the Pecan Pie cake for his actual bday the night before (w/ just us & his parents), but this other (3 flavors) is for his surprise 35th.

Please help me out ladies icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:25pm
post #4267 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Oooh, that sounds yummy!

Well, I have been experimenting. I've been wanting a Apple WASC. So, after some flops I was pleased w/ my last one....

OK, now after all of that I'm going to ask your opinions. I am going to be experimenting with a White Chocolate Blackberry (since blackberries are my dh's favorite food) & I think I'll fill it w/ White Chocolate Truffle. It will be a bottom tier, then the apple will be the middle tier. Would White Chocolate Truffle mixed w/ caramel be a good filling? Then what would be a good flavor cake to go w/ those. It doesn't have to be fruit, but I'm not wanting chocoalte. But I would like it to compliment & not stick out like a sore thumb. He loves Key Lime also, but I think it's a "jump out at ya" kind of flavor & would just seem weird, but maybe that's just me. I will be trying my hand at the Pecan Pie cake for his actual bday the night before (w/ just us & his parents), but this other (3 flavors) is for his surprise 35th.

Please help me out ladies icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the apple experimenting! I've been wanting to do the same.

Lime is actually paired with caramel quite often! And I think it would go with the flow of the other cakes.

Chocolate cake always goes well with caramel. You could try the "bakeable caramel filling" swirled into the cake batter. Oh, and yes, caramel mixed into the truffle filling is wonderful, but leave out the Bettercreme.

dandelion56602 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:48pm
post #4268 of 6536

So, you think white chocolate blackberry, apple & key lime would not be too weird? Would just white chocolate truffle be a better filling for the key lime or maybe mix it with bettercream to lighten it up?

MacsMom Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 7:11pm
post #4269 of 6536

They are separate tiers - I don't think they would be weird at all! Even if a slice of each were to be served on each plate, it sounds delish.

If you want to lighten up truffle filling, add more Bettercreme - buttercream would make it too heavy. I think adding caramel to WCT would be tasty in key lime, but if you are weary of trying it, then plain WCT would be fine.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 3:46am
post #4270 of 6536

Just want to say that I used the Cotton Candy oil in BC frosting and it was wonderful -- tasted just like cotton candy.

misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 4:01am
post #4271 of 6536

so glad I stumbled on this. Thank you all!

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 4:46am
post #4272 of 6536

Wow, so many great flavors!

BlissKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlissKitchen Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 6:23pm
post #4273 of 6536

Thank you all for the wonderful information. It will take me forever to read through this but I definitely need to save this.

MacsMom Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:55pm
post #4274 of 6536

I have a request for Lemon Blueberry (totally cracks me up that I have over 100 choices and this isn't on the list!)

Has anyone baked a cake with whole berries in the batter? Do you have any tips? It's for a wedding cake, so I will certainly do trial batches.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:01pm
post #4275 of 6536

I love the lemon blueberry combo - but I've only used the blueberries in my filling for a lemon cake - mixed fresh blueberries with blueberry all fruit spread

dandelion56602 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:24pm
post #4276 of 6536

Are they wanting the cake to be lemon and blueberry or just a combo? I too have done lemon cake w/ blueberry filling. U have used strawberries and raspberries in a cake w/ success. And Coffee Mate had a Blueberry Crumble creamer that is sooooo yum (but strong)! Plus blueberry yogurt, it can be done. If they're wanting both flavors in the cake, hmmm maybe some lemon juice for some of the liquid and zest too

MacsMom Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:34pm
post #4277 of 6536
Quote:

Are they wanting the cake to be lemon and blueberry or just a combo? I too have done lemon cake w/ blueberry filling. U have used strawberries and raspberries in a cake w/ success. And Coffee Mate had a Blueberry Crumble creamer that is sooooo yum (but strong)! Plus blueberry yogurt, it can be done. If they're wanting both flavors in the cake, hmmm maybe some lemon juice for some of the liquid and zest too

They just said "Lemon Blueberry", so I asked (e-mail) if they would like whole berries in the cake or a blueberry swirl. I offered blueberry fruit filling, lemon cheesecake, white-chocolate truffle, or a combo of any of the three.

When they replied they didn't answer my question icon_rolleyes.gif , but asked if they could choose more than one flavor, so I'm still waiting.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:40pm
post #4278 of 6536

Oooh - a blueberry swirl in the cake batter would be yummy and pretty!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:51pm
post #4279 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Has anyone tried LoRann Cotton Candy flavor? I was adding a confetti cake to my list and thought perhaps making it a cotton candy flavor to stand out.

I have used the cotton candy flavor in buttercream and it is REALLY good!! Even the adults loved it.....I found that it took a little more then I expected to really taste the flavor - but then again, I didn't know how much I was supposed to add to a 6 qt batch of buttercream so I just kept adding and tasting....it's really good!! I think that would be a perfect flavor for the confetti cake!

I've also used the Cotton Candy flavor in my royal for cookies, as well as icing and filling. The kids love it! DH tells me it always HAS to be blue, though, because apparently, that is the 'OFFICIAL' color of cotton candy! LOL!! icon_rolleyes.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:08pm
post #4280 of 6536

I've made this one before. It's pretty good. I'm sure you could turn it into a WASC. The orange and lemon really bring out a great flavor.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Blueberry-Citrus-Cake

MacsMom Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:37pm
post #4281 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

I've made this one before. It's pretty good. I'm sure you could turn it into a WASC. The orange and lemon really bring out a great flavor.

Thanks! I wonder if I should toss the berries in flour to keep them from sinking? I'm so excited about this wedding cake - it's Alice in Wonderland themed and I also get to make an armadillo groom's cake thumbs_up.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:52pm
post #4282 of 6536

I would because they do sink when baking.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:53pm
post #4283 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

Thanks! I wonder if I should toss the berries in flour to keep them from sinking? I'm so excited about this wedding cake - it's Alice in Wonderland themed and I also get to make an armadillo groom's cake thumbs_up.gif

Either flour or reserve a few spoonfuls of dry cakemix in the beginning and toss them in that - should do the trick!

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 11:17pm
post #4284 of 6536
Quote:

How fun!!! I can't wait to see that!!!! And lemon blueberry sounds yummy too! I like the idea of the lemon cake with blueberry filling--with maybe just some whole blueberries in the cake (but not a lot of extra blueberry flavor).....but I guess it depends on which way they choose. lol

tallgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tallgood Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 11:25pm
post #4285 of 6536

Roll bluebarries in the flour or dry mix, then gently fold into batter, so as not to bust them.

MacsMom Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 7:23am
post #4286 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilikina_24

Quote:

How fun!!! I can't wait to see that!!!! And lemon blueberry sounds yummy too! I like the idea of the lemon cake with blueberry filling--with maybe just some whole blueberries in the cake (but not a lot of extra blueberry flavor).....but I guess it depends on which way they choose. lol

The consensus is in! I LOVE these people!
One tier will be lemon with whole blueberries (thank goodness it's not one of the carved tiers), one tier will be lime with a cherry swirl, and the top two tiers will be Valencia (my personal fav). The armadillo is red velvet with raspberry filling, lol. I wish I could make the cakes now! The wedding is March 13th.

BCo Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:20pm
post #4287 of 6536

Just wanted to mention that International Delight now has a Buttercream flavored coffee creamer out.....not sure what you may want to do with that!! LOL

dandelion56602 Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 3:57pm
post #4288 of 6536
Quote:

Just wanted to mention that International Delight now has a Buttercream flavored coffee creamer out.....not sure what you may want to do with that!! LOL

Well crap. Our walmart didn't have it the other night or I would have gotten it instead of the Caramel macchiato. But the CM is very yummy & I can't wait to try it in a cake.

It sounds like it would make a yummy batter, maybe like the cake batter ice cream? Have you tasted it? Unfortunately it says limited, but I'm going to hit smaller groceries & see if they have it.

BCo Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:19pm
post #4289 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

Well crap. Our walmart didn't have it the other night or I would have gotten it instead of the Caramel macchiato. But the CM is very yummy & I can't wait to try it in a cake.

It sounds like it would make a yummy batter, maybe like the cake batter ice cream? Have you tasted it? Unfortunately it says limited, but I'm going to hit smaller groceries & see if they have it.

I bought it but haven't tried it yet. It does say limited edition on the bottle. I got it at my local grocery store - haven't checked WalMart yet. It sounded good so I had to buy it, just not sure what I'm going to do with it yet!! icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:23pm
post #4290 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

Oh cool! I'll look for the BC flavor. Thanks for the summary on caramel macchiato - I haven't found a caramel flavor that I have been thrilled with yet, I'll give it a try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%