Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

beehivebaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beehivebaby Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:52pm
post #4111 of 6536

okay..i've been reading this for a couple days and I'm only on page 53...this is AWESOME!!! I know this has been said a gazillion times but thanks macsmom!! but I just want to say that your cakes are FREAKING AMAZING!!! I've been looking at all your pictures and dangit..you should be on some those shows!!!! seriously awesome!!!! okay..off to read more..I might get thru the 253 pages by xmas..maybe...icon_wink.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:00pm
post #4112 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by humminbird712

Macsmom....do you mind sharing your Andes Dream recipe? A

Also, does anyone know what a good substitute for vanilla flavoring is? I'm allergic to it and not sure what to replace it with. Any ideas would be great!

I flavor chocolate cake with LoRann creme de menthe. The filling is truffle filling made with Guittard mint baking chips, but you can also flavor white chocolate truffle filling with creme de menthe and color is light green. I stir in crushed mint chocolate cookie pieces.
LL

SGTSweetsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SGTSweetsCakery Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:11pm
post #4113 of 6536

This is the most addicting thread... and I've only made it through the first several pages before I had to go bake a cake!! I COULDN'T RESIST!!!

Goodbye boring white cake- HELLO DELICIOUSNESS

Thank you thank you thank you!!

~Mandy icon_smile.gif

cupcakeatheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeatheart Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:44pm
post #4114 of 6536

Anyone got a good pinneapple upside down cake recipe or maybe a WASC variation. My BF put in a request, but I've never made one or eaten one before.

TIA

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:13pm
post #4115 of 6536

Also, candy melts come in mint flavor (vanilla mint & chocolate). Also, holiday chips are out now

dandelion56602 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:51pm
post #4116 of 6536

Also, candy melts come in mint flavor (vanilla mint & chocolate). Also, holiday chips are out now

cupcakeatheart Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:07pm
post #4117 of 6536

Do we have an orange cranberry flavor on our list yet? Because I just saw this recipe in RedBook and it looks fabulous http://www.redbookmag.com/recipefinder/candied-cranberry-orange-custard-trifle-recipe?click=recipe_sr
It's a trifle, but I'm thinking Orange cake, cranberry fruit and cheesecake mousse filling

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:09pm
post #4118 of 6536

I'm making a Jack and Coke cake for a 40th birthday. I made a whiskey cake and I'd like to make the filling with Bettercreme and coke flavor. How would I get the coke flavor in there? Coke is basically sugar with fizz! Any ideas?

cupcakeatheart Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 5:45pm
post #4119 of 6536

I have never worked with Bettercream before, but I found cola flavoring at Nature's Way.com. But if you're crunched for time and can't order, all the recipes I've seen just add Coke and a little cocoa

1/2 cup butter
1 tablespoon cocoa
6 tablespoons Coca-Cola
1 box confectioner's sugar, (1pound)

MacsMom Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:03pm
post #4120 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

I'm making a Jack and Coke cake for a 40th birthday. I made a whiskey cake and I'd like to make the filling with Bettercreme and coke flavor. How would I get the coke flavor in there? Coke is basically sugar with fizz! Any ideas?

I would use coke in the cake: 1-3/4 c coke and 1/2 c Jack. You can always let coke sit for a day on the counter to let it go flat if you want to use it in the filling - with the bubbles gone, it will be more concentrated. Maybe even simmer it to get it more concentrated.

GrandmaG Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:31pm
post #4121 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeatheart

Do we have an orange cranberry flavor on our list yet? Because I just saw this recipe in RedBook and it looks fabulous http://www.redbookmag.com/recipefinder/candied-cranberry-orange-custard-trifle-recipe?click=recipe_sr
It's a trifle, but I'm thinking Orange cake, cranberry fruit and cheesecake mousse filling

That looks like it would be great for Thanksgiving!!

If I use the coke in the cake then what would I use for a filling? TIA

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:42pm
post #4122 of 6536

Coke flavored cake - maybe cherry filling for a Cherry Coke?

Delcy883 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delcy883 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 9:12pm
post #4123 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

ha ha ha, Jana it looks like you have to update your new recipe file link already! icon_lol.gif Thanks dear, it looks great! icon_biggrin.gif

Already did, twice in fact, so thank you very much! *sticks tongue out at bobwonderbuns and then laughs at the name bobwonderbuns*

Ok, I'm officially 3. lol.

That's SO funny, because I ALWAYS laugh at that name also, and I ALWAYS (not just this situation, but many others) say it's because I"m 12!
lolol. Thank you ALL for your contributions!

MacsMom Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 9:25pm
post #4124 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

Quote:

That looks like it would be great for Thanksgiving!!

If I use the coke in the cake then what would I use for a filling? TIA

Just because both Jack and coke are in the cake doesn't mean that they can't also be in the filling icon_smile.gif . IMO, I would make a Cola cake with Jack, and fill with white choc truffle filling, stirring a couple tbls of Jack - or both Jack and flat coke - into the filling.

maddie90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddie90 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 9:36pm
post #4125 of 6536

i gained 50 pounds just reading this thread. YUMMY!

GrandmaG Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 10:32pm
post #4126 of 6536

Thanks Macsmom, that's what I'm going to do! thumbs_up.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:08am
post #4127 of 6536

Okay, so two questions:

1.- Will I really miss the eggnog if I try to make an eggnog filling with only the real thing, but no Lorann's oil? The stupid thing is $16 for me to buy, and there's no smaller version where I am (not sure if they even make drams of it), and I can't possibly justify the cost and quantity for the amount of eggnog stuff I'm probably going to make this season.

and ...

2.- Has anybody made a nice Gingerbread-flavored cake? What did you use (besides, I'm assuming, gingerbread creamer?) .... help, please!

Thanks!

MacsMom Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:13am
post #4128 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiyeric

Okay, so two questions:

1.- Will I really miss the eggnog if I try to make an eggnog filling with only the real thing, but no Lorann's oil? The stupid thing is $16 for me to buy, and there's no smaller version where I am (not sure if they even make drams of it), and I can't possibly justify the cost and quantity for the amount of eggnog stuff I'm probably going to make this season.

and ...

2.- Has anybody made a nice Gingerbread-flavored cake? What did you use (besides, I'm assuming, gingerbread creamer?) .... help, please!

Thanks!

You won't miss the eggnog without LoRann eggnog - you'll be fine witht he real stuff - especially with added nutmeg and a little rum flavoring (it can be Schillings rum).

GrandmaG Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:43am
post #4129 of 6536
Quote:

Okay, so two questions:

and ...

Thanks!

Eggnog cake is great with just the eggnog used for the liquid! You can use a rum flavored filling and frosting or add more eggnog!
Haven't tried ginger cake yet but want to. Maybe with some crystalized ginger in it!

emiyeric Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:03pm
post #4130 of 6536

Awesome! I'm only doing the eggnog as a filling, not as a cake, but I love the idea of the added rum and nutmeg flavors. Particularly since the people for whom I am baking wanted a gingerbread cake with eggnog filling in it, and I'm worried the gingerbread flavor may overwhelm.

Though I'm still hoping someone might have an idea for the gingerbread flavor ... I don't necessarily want to use crystallized ginger (though that sounds DELICIOUS), but make it more of a subtle traditional flavor so it doesn't overpower the filling. There is a gingerbread creamer, right? I haven't seen a Lorann flavoring for it ...

dandelion56602 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:46pm
post #4131 of 6536

There is a gingerbread creamer if you can get it. Recipes I've seen for gingerbread cake use ginger (about 2 tsp), cinnamon (about 1 tsp), nutmeg (abt 1/2 tsp) & cloves (abt 1/4 tsp). The recipes also use brown sugar & molasses. Macsmom may have a better idea, but maybe sub a little less than 1/2 the sugar for molasses or dark brown sugar & add the spices. If you try it I would like to know how it turns out b/c I may try it for cake balls. Then again I may try it anyway----just for flavor purposes. if I get around to it (up to my neck in pies for various charities) I'll post my results

emiyeric Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:59pm
post #4132 of 6536

Thanks! Now, if I sub out molasses or brown sugar, will that affect how my cake rises? I won't get the chance for a trial run, and the bottom-most tier is the one I need to do with this, so I would hate to risk flattening of the big tier ...

dandelion56602 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:09pm
post #4133 of 6536

I have successfully used brown & white sugar. My total amount (both sugars) was 3/4 of what WASC usually calls for. Then I used brown for 1/2 of that. But Macsmom's Creme Brulee cake uses 3/4 brown sugar in the recipe (1 c brown, 1/2 c white & 1/2 c caramel sauce), so I would think you'd be fine with this combo except molasses for the sauce. Hope I didn't totally confuse you!

ETA: add about 1/4 tsp soda to help w/ rising. I would also do whole eggs

emiyeric Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:53pm
post #4134 of 6536

Perfect! That sounds awesome. How do whole eggs help the rising?

Thanks again, so much!

MacsMom Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:59pm
post #4135 of 6536
Quote:

Perfect! That sounds awesome. How do whole eggs help the rising?

Thanks again, so much!

It can be just an extra egg white, but with a whole egg since there is more egg volume it will help rise more. How does it help? Well, consider how big and fluffy an egg gets when you scramble it... I don't have a scientific answer detective.gif , but I know it works so well that I have begun adding an extra egg to all of my recipes.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:07pm
post #4136 of 6536

Blast it all -- I haven't received any email notices on this topic, and I'm still watching it!! icon_cry.gif Really, is it just me??? icon_cool.gif

MacsMom Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:03pm
post #4137 of 6536
Quote:

Anyone got a good pinneapple upside down cake recipe or maybe a WASC variation. My BF put in a request, but I've never made one or eaten one before.

TIA

Okay, I just thought over this:
If using Rebecca Sutterby's WASC, add two 15oz cans crushed pineapple, drained, (no need to make any other adjustments to the cake recipe).

After the cakes have been baked, level them and generously sprinkle the top of the filling side of the cake with brown sugar. Broil briefly to melt it slightly.

Filling ideas: Cherry fruit filling, pineapple fruit filling with diced maraschinos stirred into it, or White chocolate truffle made with brown sugar with maraschino cherry halves...

What do you think? Some recipes I've seen for "pineapple inside-out" cake use a lemon cake mix.

cupcakeatheart Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:11pm
post #4138 of 6536

Awesome Macsmom! Thank you so much! After talking to a couple of people I have heard of the lemon cake too, but I that's seems kind of werid to me, like it would take away from the pinneapple flavor. I really like the idea of the brown sugar added to get that caramel taste.

Off to the kitchen doo doo do doo! (yeah that was a trumpet) icon_biggrin.gif

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:14pm
post #4139 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

sweet treasures - in my opinion, lemon juice's flavor seems to bake away pretty easily. And you need to be careful because it is very acidic. I just zest about 3 lemons into a batch of yellow cake batter, add 1 teaspoon lemon flavor, and it's absolutely perfect. Very natural lemon flavor. And you can make yourself a nice glass of lemonade with the leftover juice icon_smile.gif

sayhellojana, I was thinking about the acidicness too. Didn't know how that would affect the cake. I will try the lemon zest; that sounds better. And I love homemade lemonade. When lemons go on sale I make batches of lemonade syrup and freeze for later. icon_biggrin.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 5:31am
post #4140 of 6536

I came across a yummy sounding combo while waiting at Walmart today. I don't remember which holiday magazine it was but it was a White Chocolate cake w/ a cranberry filling. Just glancing over the recipe the filling sounded like a homemade cranberry sauce (cranberries, sugar, cinnamon & oj). But I love cranberry & know not everyone does

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%