Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:55pm
post #3631 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

Okay, I thought the "foaminess" was from the baking soda that I used. I guess not since you had the same experience without it. It may be the drink mix? I used Barcardi...

I use the bottled mixes in the liquor aisle, Finest Call is one brand. Very good fresh strawberry flavor, and the mango is excellent, too.

MacsMom Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:57pm
post #3632 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommapaul3

DD really wants the coconut mango cake for her birthday, but I can't find the mango flavored LorAnn anywhere (lots of other flavors, but no one has mango). Is there anything else I can use? Or should I just skip it and have it be less mango-y? I don't have time to order off the internet.

You can skip it. The mango puree (I use Finest Call) is a strong enough mango flavor.

MacsMom Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:02pm
post #3633 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummymummy

Ugh...my grocery stores only sell the sugar free white choc pudding! Do you think this will work just as well for the pink champagne cake? Also, I accidentally picked up sparkling rose wine instead of pink champagne. Is there a difference?

I always use sugar-free pudding. Any sparkling wine will do.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:05pm
post #3634 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:

Okay, I thought the "foaminess" was from the baking soda that I used. I guess not since you had the same experience without it. It may be the drink mix? I used Barcardi...

I use the bottled mixes in the liquor aisle, Finest Call is one brand. Very good fresh strawberry flavor, and the mango is excellent, too.

Okay, that was probably the problem! Is it the non-refridgerated kind? I may have to try out the recipe again using the correct drink mix along with just egg whites.
After trying a 3rd recipe, I am pretty satisfied with the results. I used a variation of your older WASC strawberry recipe:
1 white mix
1 strawberry mix
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups light strawberry yogurt
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 sm box sugar free white choc pudding
2 2/3 cups water
1/4 cup oil
7 eggs (I'll probably use 6 eggs next time or 8 whites)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp strawberry extract
1 tsp strawberry compound

The 11 x 15 cake fell just slightly (probably secondary to the heaviness of the eggs), but the 8 inch cake was perfect.
The taste & texture were pretty great too.

Thanks for your help!

mommapaul3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommapaul3 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:14pm
post #3635 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommapaul3

DD really wants the coconut mango cake for her birthday, but I can't find the mango flavored LorAnn anywhere (lots of other flavors, but no one has mango). Is there anything else I can use? Or should I just skip it and have it be less mango-y? I don't have time to order off the internet.

You can skip it. The mango puree (I use Finest Call) is a strong enough mango flavor.

Ugh...they don't even have that here. Due to state liquor laws, there is no liquor aisle in any store in the state and the very limited selection of non-alcoholic mixers doesn't include mango (at least not anywhere near me). As far as I can tell online, the state liquor stores don't carry it either.

However, I did find some mango ice cream. Can I use that the same way you use the sherbet in the orange dreamsicle cake? Would I have to make adjustments for the amount of sugar in the ice cream? They also had a tart mango frozen yogurt. Would that work better?

ktbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktbug Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:40pm
post #3636 of 6536

Ok so I want to make the cinnamon Roll cake with the filling (cream cheese, powdered sugar, and white chocolate) from Macsmom tonight. I am wondering can i ice that in buttercream? Will that be to sweet? Any suggestions?? TIA

nadine_n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadine_n Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:59pm
post #3637 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug

Ok so I want to make the cinnamon Roll cake with the filling (cream cheese, powdered sugar, and white chocolate) from Macsmom tonight. I am wondering can i ice that in buttercream? Will that be to sweet? Any suggestions?? TIA

You might want to try this recipe for a cinnamon buttercream - I found it in this thread somewhere and copied it into a word file. I never tried it myself, but it's in the list of recipes I want to try eventually.

I believe it was originally posted with the Snickerdoodle cake. I just scanned the Google doc and couldn't find it, but I looked very quickly. I don't know whose it was to give credit.

Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting

8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter at room temp
3 3/4 cups conf sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:17pm
post #3638 of 6536

I'm just a "newbie" and am overwhelmed and totally impressed by all this! icon_surprised.gif This is me on this thread... icon_eek.gif You all are amazing!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 12:16am
post #3639 of 6536

After looking all over I found mango puree in an Asian grocery store. Our liquior stores don't carry it any more.
I make Maple buttercream for the cinnamon roll cake. Smells and tastes unbelievably good! Just add some pure maple syrup and some maple extract to your buttercream recipe until it tastes about right.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 12:34am
post #3640 of 6536

[quote="lecrn"]

Quote:

Quote:

Okay, that was probably the problem! Is it the non-refridgerated kind? I may have to try out the recipe again using the correct drink mix along with just egg whites.
After trying a 3rd recipe, I am pretty satisfied with the results. I used a variation of your older WASC strawberry recipe:
1 white mix
1 strawberry mix
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 2/3 cups water
1/4 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp strawberry extract

What is strawberry mix?

MacsMom Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 12:59am
post #3641 of 6536

[quote="bobwonderbuns"]

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1 white mix
1 strawberry mix
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 2/3 cups water
1/4 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp strawberry extract

What is strawberry mix?

It should read "strawberry cake mix". The bottled strawberry daquiri drink mix I buy is not refrigerated - it's found by the margarita and pina colada mixers.

Vampyra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vampyra Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:20am
post #3642 of 6536

Brenda 0217 - here is the recipe for the plain and basic Madeira cake, with thanks to Steph on the UK BSG recipe page........

For an 8" cake

8 oz butter
8 oz caster sugar
8 oz SR flour
4 eggs
4 oz plain flour
2 tbsp milk (or lemon juice depending on cake flavour)

It's easy to change the quantity, just halve the eggs and plain flour so for example a 10" cake would be -

10 oz butter
10 oz caster sugar
10 oz SR flour
5 eggs
5 oz plain flour

Cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs a little at a time (adding a spoon of flour to prevent curdling). Mix in remaining flour.

That is the basic recipe I use and then flavour accordingly with lemon zest or vanilla.
For a chocolate cake I replace an ounce or 2 of the plain flour with cocoa powder and add an ounce or 2 of melted plain chocolate.

That is the recipe as written in my book. I tend to make 2 cakes and so for example for a 10" I would use two 5 egg quantity cakes. Bake them at 130/140 in a fan oven.

The book says a 10" cake takes 1 hour 20 mins . I never bake higher than 140 and check a small cake after 40 mins a large one after 1 hour.

Hope this helps.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:41am
post #3643 of 6536

What is strawberry mix?[/quote]

It should read "strawberry cake mix". The bottled strawberry daquiri drink mix I buy is not refrigerated - it's found by the margarita and pina colada mixers.[/quote]

Hi Macsmom!! To make your strawberrry cake do I have to use 2 white mixes or can I use 1 white 1 strawberry....is there a reason why you use 2 white?

MacsMom Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:59am
post #3644 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Hi Macsmom!! To make your strawberrry cake do I have to use 2 white mixes or can I use 1 white 1 strawberry....is there a reason why you use 2 white?

I use 2 white mixes because of the extra sugar in strawberry mixes... at least I think. When I used 1 strawberry cake mix and 1 white cake mix it was very heavy and overly sweet.

multicrafty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multicrafty Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:24am
post #3645 of 6536

Ok its taken me a week and I've only gotten to page 150..... icon_eek.gif
I decided to try and make the cheeseckae lovers recipe and didn't realize till I took the cakes out of the oven that the box of pudding was still on the counter unopened and therefore not added to the cake mix icon_redface.gif
and I made the full recipe and used 2, 9in squares and 2, 6 in squares I apperently didn't put enough of the chocolate swirl in the first set of pans because I had a lot more of it to add to the second set of pans and ended up not using part of it..

So did I really screw this thing up and should start over or do you think it will be ok.. the 9 in is for 'treat day' at work on Friday not a big deal they have one every month and just lump all the birthdays into one celebration.. the other one is for the famiy to eat..

Linda

Normita Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:36am
post #3646 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

I use 2 white mixes because of the extra sugar in strawberry mixes... at least I think. When I used 1 strawberry cake mix and 1 white cake mix it was very heavy and overly sweet.

Thanks....makes sense!!

MacsMom Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:36pm
post #3647 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicrafty

Ok its taken me a week and I've only gotten to page 150..... icon_eek.gif
I decided to try and make the cheeseckae lovers recipe and didn't realize till I took the cakes out of the oven that the box of pudding was still on the counter unopened and therefore not added to the cake mix icon_redface.gif
and I made the full recipe and used 2, 9in squares and 2, 6 in squares I apperently didn't put enough of the chocolate swirl in the first set of pans because I had a lot more of it to add to the second set of pans and ended up not using part of it..

So did I really screw this thing up and should start over or do you think it will be ok.. the 9 in is for 'treat day' at work on Friday not a big deal they have one every month and just lump all the birthdays into one celebration.. the other one is for the famiy to eat..

Linda

It'll be great! Don't worry thumbs_up.gif

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:22pm
post #3648 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrlee

Any suggestions for a WASC coconut variation? I apologize if it's already been posted. I'm trying to read through all of the posts but there are sooo many!!

Sorry if it's been answered, but I LOVE mine! I use the WASC (duh icon_rolleyes.gif ), using 1-1/3 c coconut coffee creamer with 1-1/3 c water for the liquid, add coconut pudding mix (but sometimes I can't find it so I use cheesecake pudding instead), and use 2 drams LoRann coconut flavoring and 2 tsp vanilla. If you like flakes, add 1 c sweetened coconut flakes.

thank you!!

grannmawlynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannmawlynne Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:52pm
post #3649 of 6536

I made the orange flavored cake on Aug 16 and family member change their mind and the flavor so I have had this cake in the refrigartor since then. Do you think it would still taste fresh or should I throw away and make a new one? I need one for this weekend.

MacsMom Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 5:22pm
post #3650 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannmawlynne

I made the orange flavored cake on Aug 16 and family member change their mind and the flavor so I have had this cake in the refrigartor since then. Do you think it would still taste fresh or should I throw away and make a new one? I need one for this weekend.

4 weeks? Toss it. Next time, freeze extras.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:49am
post #3651 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannmawlynne

4 weeks? Toss it. Next time, freeze extras.

tapedshut.gif i agree tapedshut.gif

shkepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shkepa Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:07am
post #3652 of 6536

what an amazing post

DirtMagnets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DirtMagnets Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 6:24am
post #3653 of 6536

Thank you, thank you for this thread! I've gotten really bored with the standard flavors and have drooled my way through this thread for two weeks now. I've now got about 100 pages of notes and thoughts saved in a word document and learned enough to feel comfortable trying to doctor up the WASC recipe on my own tonight. The end result was amazing - I went with cupcakes, since I need to take some to an event Saturday afternoon, anyway, and they are the absolute best cuppies I've ever made.
My husband told me that they're definitely a keeper and he wants this recipe for every birthday from now on. He officially named the flavor "Beach Front".

Here's my new recipe - 1/2 of the WASC, since I didn't want a lot of waste if my substitutions weren't good:

Beach Front Cake (coconut lime with creamy lime curd filling and coconut butter cream, topped with shredded coconut)

Cake:
1 white mix
1 c. flour
1 c. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 c. oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. coconut extract
1 (6 oz.) carton Key Lime yogurt
1/4 c. low-fat sour cream
5 egg white
1 c. Goya coconut soda
1/3 c. lime juice
(The cuppies baked in only 20 minutes at 325.)

Filling:
about 1/4 c. lime curd
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. coconut extract
about 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar

Frosting:
1 stick unsalted butter
1 stick salted butter
1/8 c. milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. coconut extract
about 1 lb. powdered sugar

For the finishing touch, dip in/top with shredded coconut.

I've got two more flavor experiments written out and ready to bake tomorrow.

Thanks again for all of the expertise shared here!

l_m_mena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_m_mena Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:15pm
post #3654 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug

I made my regular BC, but substituting the regular liquid for the cinnamon coffee creamer mix and adding ground cinnamon (you will see the cinnamon specs).

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:05pm
post #3655 of 6536

Hi DirtMagnets! Welcome to CC!! If you want a more complete list of where all the recipes are located in one place -- click on the link in my signature. It brings you to a thread with all the google docs from all the threads that have them -- in short thousands of recipes all in one place! icon_biggrin.gif At some point your recipe will be added to the Help Gourmet flavors update. (I'm not sure who is updating this thread but every so often the google doc gets updated.) Again, welcome to CC! icon_biggrin.gif

cakedoc88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoc88 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:16am
post #3656 of 6536

hi macsmom

made your orange dreamsicle cake yesterday. did it as cupcakes and used half a recipe. my husband and family adored it. thanks a million!

i used duncan hines white cake mix since there was no bc white cake mix available. cut back on the sugar to 3/4 c and added some baking powder and the cuppies were wonderful... just have the following question?

if i make it into a cake what do you suggest for the filling? white chocolate truffle and orange or vanilla bc?

is it sturdy enough for fondant. it was so moist and delicious yesterday i dont think there will be any left for me to experiment on. should i make it a couple of days ahead and freeze before i cover with fondant?

thanks for being so generous with your expertise.... we really appreciate it! icon_smile.gif

Normita Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:42am
post #3657 of 6536

I use the bottled mixes in the liquor aisle, Finest Call is one brand. Very good fresh strawberry flavor, and the mango is excellent, too.[/quote]

Macsmom...I am going to make the strawberry cake next week but I accidently grabbed strawberry puree (finest call) instead of the strawberry daquiri. Does it make a difference....or do you always just use the strawberry daquiri?

MacsMom Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 9:21am
post #3658 of 6536
Quote:

Macsmom...I am going to make the strawberry cake next week but I accidently grabbed strawberry puree (finest call) instead of the strawberry daquiri. Does it make a difference....or do you always just use the strawberry daquiri?[/quote]

The strawberry puree is probably what I use - I never paid much attention to the label - it's what I used for daquiri's when I was bartending, so by habit that's what popped in my head. icon_rolleyes.gif

MacsMom Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 9:26am
post #3659 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedoc88

if i make it into a cake what do you suggest for the filling? white chocolate truffle and orange or vanilla bc?

is it sturdy enough for fondant. it was so moist and delicious yesterday i dont think there will be any left for me to experiment on. should i make it a couple of days ahead and freeze before i cover with fondant?

thanks for being so generous with your expertise.... we really appreciate it! icon_smile.gif

The filling is just your own personal preference - I tend to use the truffle recipe for everything these days.

I only use fondant on my cakes and have covered several Orange cakes. You never want to cover a frozen cake with fondant, but do refrigerate it. The condensation can be overwhelming when the cake is coming directly from the freezer.

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 9:45am
post #3660 of 6536

MacsMom - I looked through the google document and couldn't find this - how do you make your butter pecan cake? Is it just the WASC with all butter extract with chopped pecans added?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%