Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:36am
post #3361 of 6536

I am having the worst time with my chocolate cakes!! They are just crumbly and I don't know what I am doing wrong. I tried MacsMom's choc. WASC because the cake I absolutely love is just getting crumblier and crumblier. I do use the DH Dark Choc. Fudge as my base, but it is the mix that I like the best...the others seem to be too blah. Any ideas? TIA!!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 11:40am
post #3362 of 6536

Is it crumbly dry or crumbly moist? If it is still moist then try cutting back on the sugar and to be honest I don't like using cake flour.
Try the extended version, maybe you will have better luck.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:55pm
post #3363 of 6536

Just to remind y'all if you are looking for a compilation of the recipes, go to the link in my signature which brings you to a thread where all the google docs from all the threads that have them are located. icon_biggrin.gif

GrandmaG Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:00pm
post #3364 of 6536

Thanks Bobwonderbuns!

grannmawlynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannmawlynne Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:18pm
post #3365 of 6536

GrandmaG-thanks for your reply. I will try it and let everyone know how it was. Thanks again

tomatoqeen Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:50pm
post #3366 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

Is it crumbly dry or crumbly moist? If it is still moist then try cutting back on the sugar and to be honest I don't like using cake flour.
Try the extended version, maybe you will have better luck.

Its crumbly moist. I'll try cutting back on the sugar. What should I start with, reducing by 1/2 c.? Thanks!

By the extended version, do you mean seriouscakes's yellow scratch recipe?

GrandmaG Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:58pm
post #3367 of 6536

This is the link for the cake mix extender. I use it successfully with DH mix. I usually just use half cup sugar because I normally add torani's or creamer to my mix that adds extra sugar.
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1977-47-Cake-Mix-extender.html

grannmawlynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannmawlynne Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:24pm
post #3368 of 6536

I am curious on how long the white chocolate ganache would stay good in the refrigator? It has the heavy cream in it. Maybe2 weeks or longer?

tomatoqeen Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:15pm
post #3369 of 6536
Quote:

This is the link for the cake mix extender. I use it successfully with DH mix. I usually just use half cup sugar because I normally add torani's or creamer to my mix that adds extra sugar.
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1977-47-Cake-Mix-extender.html

Thanks GrandmaG! I will give it a try!! If you don't mind, how do you add in the creamers and torani? Do you just add them in or sub out some of the water? Thanks!

I love the WASC, but just haven't been able to make my chocolate work. Love the flavor and moistness, but it's just so crumbly that I am beginning to be afraid to stack it.

GrandmaG Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 6:36pm
post #3370 of 6536

I read where ganache will be good for 3 weeks but I would taste before I sent it out in case it's a little off.
I use half creamer and half water, milk or buttermilk for my liquid. Same with the Torani syrups.
I have trouble with the cake mix extender and the WASC chocolate when it comes to stacking. They are just too tender.
If I remember right, Macsmom says to eliminate an egg and maybe cut back a little on the liquid but I don't want to go back and read it all right now. icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:14pm
post #3371 of 6536

tomatoqueen - sub out water. just adding extra liquid would throw off whatever recipe you're using.

I'm back! Been very busy, took a quick vacation. Poor me, right?! Anywho, I doctored the sugar free cake mix like I planned with egg whites, sour cream and amaretto flavoring and it came out pretty good. I also made chocolate cake layers to go with because the sugar-free cake mixes (I used 2 to make 2 1'' layers of 4'' and 6'') just weren't tall enough at all. Sugar free mousse turned out great.
I'll try to attach a pic in a minuet

mghip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mghip Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 11:47am
post #3372 of 6536

Hi, I was looking over some of the wonderful recipies and had a question. When the recipie call for "2 boxes of white cake mix" and then a list of other ingredients do you first make the cake mix as directed on the box then add the additonal items? Same question when it says box of puuding mix, do you first make the mix with whtever liquid it calls for or do you mix it in dry. Thanks for the help!

GrandmaG Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:29pm
post #3373 of 6536

No to both questions. Use the dry mixes and use the directions given for the recipe. icon_smile.gif

mghip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mghip Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:53pm
post #3374 of 6536

Thanks so much

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 5:34pm
post #3375 of 6536

Ah! I am so annoyed!!!! I am making my friend's wedding cake in 2 weeks, and I gave her a list of flavors. The cake is going to be a pretty big one, a replica of the Stanley Cup, so I told her to pick 2-3 flavors. So, what does she want??? ALL VANILLA. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. So the rule is since she isn't paying, I chose the flavors, right????

AmandaKate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaKate Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 7:17pm
post #3376 of 6536

So I am competely new to the whole cake world so forgive me if this is something very obvious but......earlier in the thread macsmom posted a cheesecake filling recipe but one of the ingredients I have never heard of.......Frostin Pride or Bettercreme....can anyone shed some light on what that is? Thanks!!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 7:19pm
post #3377 of 6536

YEP!
Or spice up the vanilla with some lemon zest, a hint of almond, maybe a teaspoon of lavender if you can find it...

GrandmaG Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 8:03pm
post #3378 of 6536
AmandaKate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaKate Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 9:41pm
post #3379 of 6536
Quote:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-601193-0.html

Bettercreme thread.

THANK YOU!!! icon_smile.gif

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 10:09pm
post #3380 of 6536

I think I am going to bake one of those cake.

When a bake my cakes they came out to dry, what should I do?

Thank you...

GrandmaG Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 10:50pm
post #3381 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristinaCordero

I think I am going to bake one of those cake.

When a bake my cakes they came out to dry, what should I do?

Thank you...

Which one did you bake? They usually come out really moist so I wonder if you forgot something or over baked it.

cocobaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobaby Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:10am
post #3382 of 6536

I got this order today for a "Sweet 16" cake coming up the end of August. The girl loves Root Beer. I know there is a recipe in doc for Root Beer Float. Has anyone made this? What other flavor can I pair with Root Beer since I know not everyone at this party will like Root Beer? It's going to be a 3 tier topsy-turvy and I thought of either two tiers RB and one tier something else or three different flavors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Wanda

GrandmaG Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:49pm
post #3383 of 6536

Why don't you make them a Sundae combo. Maybe a cherry limeade, chocolate malt, banana split, whatever your favorite shake or sundae flavor is.

Here is the link to the S'mores cupcakes I made on the cupcake thread. They were so delicious! My post is at the bottom of the page.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6498409.html#6498409

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:57pm
post #3384 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartin40

MacsMom or anyone..........I was just wondering if anyone had tried making a Spumoni Cake? Like the Italian dessert..........with cherry, pistachio, and chocolate???????

So, I made the Spumoni cake, just did a WASC, divided batter in thirds, flavored one with 1/2 pkg chocolate instant pudding, one with 1/2 pkg of pistachio instant pudding (and green food coloring), and the cherry layer had 1/3 cup of chopped maraschino cherries with 2 Tblsp. maraschino cherry juice and 1/2 tsp almond flavoring, plus red food coloring.............filled and frosted with fresh whipped cream that had some rum in it..............IT WAS HEAVENLY!!!!!!!!!!! icon_wink.gif

CrystalBug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrystalBug Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:11pm
post #3385 of 6536

Has anyone made Macsmom's creme brulee cake? I'm wondering about the filling... it says fresh caramel and white chocolate ganache. Is this a layer of caramel and a layer of white choc ganache between each cake layer? Doesn't the white choc ganache run out over the sides of the cake?

Also, Macsmom: I made your orange dreamsicle cake last week and it was a HUGE success! I let my DH take the extra cupcakes to work and got such great feedback! Thank you for alllllllllll your amazing ideas!

BlackFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackFlour Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:55pm
post #3386 of 6536

I'm in love... I can't stop reading!! Thanks to all!!! icon_smile.gif --from an obsessed newbie!

GrandmaG Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 8:18pm
post #3387 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalBug

Has anyone made Macsmom's creme brulee cake? I'm wondering about the filling... it says fresh caramel and white chocolate ganache. Is this a layer of caramel and a layer of white choc ganache between each cake layer? Doesn't the white choc ganache run out over the sides of the cake?

Also, Macsmom: I made your orange dreamsicle cake last week and it was a HUGE success! I let my DH take the extra cupcakes to work and got such great feedback! Thank you for alllllllllll your amazing ideas!

You can do it either way. If you want to layer both together or torte and fill each layer different. If you let your ganache set up it will be hard enough to be stable and won't run. You can also cut back on the cream for a thicker ganache.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:16pm
post #3388 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

MacsMom or anyone..........I was just wondering if anyone had tried making a Spumoni Cake? Like the Italian dessert..........with cherry, pistachio, and chocolate???????

So, I made the Spumoni cake, just did a WASC, divided batter in thirds, flavored one with 1/2 pkg chocolate instant pudding, one with 1/2 pkg of pistachio instant pudding (and green food coloring), and the cherry layer had 1/3 cup of chopped maraschino cherries with 2 Tblsp. maraschino cherry juice and 1/2 tsp almond flavoring, plus red food coloring.............filled and frosted with fresh whipped cream that had some rum in it..............IT WAS HEAVENLY!!!!!!!!!!! icon_wink.gif

Here's a picture!
LL

GrandmaG Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:01pm
post #3389 of 6536

That Spumoni Cake looks de-lish!! thumbs_up.gif

mad-house-mum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mad-house-mum Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:55pm
post #3390 of 6536

Hi all, heres my problem i live in the UK and we dont have puddin mix or most of the stuff u lucky ladies n men have any ideas on wat i can use instead? x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%