Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 10 May 2009 , 7:03pm
post #2641 of 6536

I've tried most of the samples I wanted to, but I've been waiting for what, like 2 months now? for them to send me a catologue with prices in it. I've called and asked twice, they say they will send it.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 10 May 2009 , 7:09pm
post #2642 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

I've tried most of the samples I wanted to, but I've been waiting for what, like 2 months now? for them to send me a catologue with prices in it. I've called and asked twice, they say they will send it.

Which did you love? hate?

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 10 May 2009 , 7:18pm
post #2643 of 6536

MacsMom,
I made the Orange Dreamciscle cake for a banquet at church and everyone loved it, Thank You.

sayhellojana Posted 10 May 2009 , 8:34pm
post #2644 of 6536

I thought the vanilla compound was good and all, but why bother using an expensive compound when I can use a nice vanilla, and less of it, with the same result? I liked the raspberry swirl and extract, the tiramisu and kalhua type, and the champagne compounds. I would like to try the pistachio.

yangers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yangers Posted 10 May 2009 , 8:35pm
post #2645 of 6536

I just found this thread two days ago I'm trying to make my way through the pages. Macsmom you are so awesome for sharing your recipes with everyone and the different flavors you use and for giving us the inspiration to try different things. Thanks so much!!!
I do have a question though. I just made the Orange Dreamsicle Cake, the batter was delicious and the smell of them baking was to die for. I haven't tried them yet though they just came out of the oven, I can hardly wait. But my cakes sank in the middle so bad. I don't know if I opened the oven door too soon or what, I'm going to try making this cake again sometime soon. I used a Betty Crocker cake mix too. I don't use DH either. I used bake even strips, baked in a 325 degree oven, used 8-inch round pans, opened the oven door briefly after 50 minutes to check on them, I don't know. I haven't had a cake sink in the middle like that since I don't know when. Does anyone have a clue as to what may have gone wrong?

This is the recipe I used.
1 box white cake mix
2 c melted orange sherbet
1 c flour
1 c sugar
2 Yoplait orange creamsicle yogurt
1 pkg vanilla pudding
3 eggs
2 T oil
2 t orange extract

Base off of WASC cake so follow those directions.

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 10 May 2009 , 8:47pm
post #2646 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangers

I just found this thread two days ago I'm trying to make my way through the pages. Macsmom you are so awesome for sharing your recipes with everyone and the different flavors you use and for giving us the inspiration to try different things. Thanks so much!!!
I do have a question though. I just made the Orange Dreamsicle Cake, the batter was delicious and the smell of them baking was to die for. I haven't tried them yet though they just came out of the oven, I can hardly wait. But my cakes sank in the middle so bad. I don't know if I opened the oven door too soon or what, I'm going to try making this cake again sometime soon. I used a Betty Crocker cake mix too. I don't use DH either. I used bake even strips, baked in a 325 degree oven, used 8-inch round pans, opened the oven door briefly after 50 minutes to check on them, I don't know. I haven't had a cake sink in the middle like that since I don't know when. Does anyone have a clue as to what may have gone wrong?

This is the recipe I used.
1 box white cake mix
2 c melted orange sherbet
1 c flour
1 c sugar
2 Yoplait orange creamsicle yogurt
1 pkg vanilla pudding
3 eggs
2 T oil
2 t orange extract

Base off of WASC cake so follow those directions.

I know the question was for Macsmom. Your liquids are way too much for half the recipe. 2c of melted sherbet is for 2 boxes of cake mixes, 2 cups flour, 2 cups sugar, 6 eggs. Also, the WASC recipe uses 8 OZ of sour cream or yogurt for half recipe. Yours is 12 Oz. There is that 1/2 cup extra and 1 cup of orange sherbet extra. That is why it sank. Hope I am right, I am no expert.

sayhellojana Posted 10 May 2009 , 8:51pm
post #2647 of 6536

I'm with Valli, sounds like you went a bit overboard with the liquid. It also could have been from a whole box of pudding to just one mix, but I dont bake with mixes so I could be wrong. Liquids would be my first guess.

yangers Posted 10 May 2009 , 8:53pm
post #2648 of 6536

Thanks, I guess I didn't realize, I thought for sure that was the way I saw it posted earlier in the thread. I will cut the sherbet in half the next time. The cake batter didn't seem runny though, it seemed just right. I bet you are right though, thanks for the quick reply.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:23pm
post #2649 of 6536

Gosh I'm wondering how many cake flavors we have in this thread already. Anyone counting??

sayhellojana Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:28pm
post #2650 of 6536

the batter probably didn't seem runny because sherbet and yogurt are sort of thick to begin with.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:00am
post #2651 of 6536

Oh my gosh!! How have I missed this thread??!! I must've read 60 pages yesterday. You guys are awesome - thanks so much for sharing all your recipes!

Today, I was inspired to make a s'mores cake for my son's birthday. He wanted a whitewater rafting cake for school tomorrow, since this weekend he & the BoyScouts went rafting/camping. What better cake than a s'mores cake?

I used the graham cracker cake WASC version, (halved it b/c i only needed an 8"), but I added an extra 1/2 cup of graham crumbs, a pinch of cinnamon, and only used 2 Tbsp honey b/c it's all i had.
All I can say is... Phenomenal! (at least the cake scraps were icon_smile.gif ) For filling I used chocl. bavarian creme sleeve, marshmallow fluff, and mini marshmallows. DS & DH licked the bowls clean - they always get a treat of scraps & filling... My son can't wait for school tomorrow!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:44pm
post #2652 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

Macsmom/anyone who has made her red velvet recipe,
I'm going to half this recipe, & was wondering how many eggs to use. 4 or 5?
Thanks so much!

Just a quick thought on the RV recipe - I made this and used it for a shower this past weekend. I got to have a piece of it and while it was VERY Good - I would suggest using Buttermilk for the liquid and adding some vinegar to the mix also (maybe a tsp for half recipe?) That's the only difference in all the other RV recipes that I've read. I think those two ingredients give the RV it's RV taste (JMO) I think next time I make it I will make those changes and see how it goes. Other then that mine turned out well!

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:08pm
post #2653 of 6536

Just thought I would let everyone know that I made a chocolate orange WASC with chocolate orange truffle filling for my bosses birthday on Friday (photo in my picks) and evryone loved it! They wanted seconds and thirds, I even got them all hooked on fondant icon_smile.gif
My coworkers said it was one of the best cakes they had ever tasted, and my boss suggested I quit my job to open a bakery (not sure if he likes my baking or doesn't like my work...) icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:15pm
post #2654 of 6536
Quote:

I thought the vanilla compound was good and all, but why bother using an expensive compound when I can use a nice vanilla, and less of it, with the same result? I liked the raspberry swirl and extract, the tiramisu and kalhua type, and the champagne compounds. I would like to try the pistachio.

My thoughts exactly. I was thrilled about discovering Amoretti, and while they have a lot to offer and are very kind and generous, for small baker's like myself the cost just doesn't make sense for individual cakes when LoRann is easier to use and reasonable.

I would consider buying their cantaloupe and margarita flavors, and I'd like to try their cookie dough and cardamom compounds...

yangers Posted 11 May 2009 , 9:48pm
post #2655 of 6536

I have a question, what brand of extract do you use for the orange dreamsicle cake? I bought 2 oz. of McCormick at the grocery store for $3.69, I used more than half the bottle for a half batch of the cake. That is way too expensive. I thought I remember seeing that Macsmom didn't like the orange from LoRann's. So what do you use and where do you get it?
Edited to ask this question also......Macsmom how do you make your Peanut Butter Fudgey cake? How is the Reese's filling made?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 11 May 2009 , 10:04pm
post #2656 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

Macsmom/anyone who has made her red velvet recipe,
I'm going to half this recipe, & was wondering how many eggs to use. 4 or 5?
Thanks so much!

Just a quick thought on the RV recipe - I made this and used it for a shower this past weekend. I got to have a piece of it and while it was VERY Good - I would suggest using Buttermilk for the liquid and adding some vinegar to the mix also (maybe a tsp for half recipe?) That's the only difference in all the other RV recipes that I've read. I think those two ingredients give the RV it's RV taste (JMO) I think next time I make it I will make those changes and see how it goes. Other then that mine turned out well!

Ended up using 5 eggs & it turned out perfect. It was very moist & delicious. I think that next time I'll try replacing the creamer with buttermilk as well. This will be my new RV cake recipe. I've tried so many, but none have been better than this one.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 11 May 2009 , 10:10pm
post #2657 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:

My thoughts exactly. I was thrilled about discovering Amoretti, and while they have a lot to offer and are very kind and generous, for small baker's like myself the cost just doesn't make sense for individual cakes when LoRann is easier to use and reasonable.

I would consider buying their cantaloupe and margarita flavors, and I'd like to try their cookie dough and cardamom compounds...

same here. I made a scratch yellow cake this weekend and used the madagascar bourban vanilla with seeds and had to use the whole sample jar which was 1/2 of what my calculations said i need and wound up adding 2 t of reg vanilla extract and while the taste was awesome but i just cannot justify the cost. the swirls also are not as potent as i had hoped and bake away so i put a schmear of it on my buttercream filling and it was very good.

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 11 May 2009 , 10:29pm
post #2658 of 6536

Yangers, for the orange dreamsicle cake, I used lorann's "orange cream" flavor and it was perfect. The recipe you typed in above also doesnt show the oj or diet sunkist soda. (I used the soda) and let me tell you, the cake was perfection.

I ended up taking away from the flavor by using the white chocolate truffle. I think I used too much. Should have just done the two layers of cake and one layer of filling but i torted so there were three layers of filling. The filling (which was delicious) overpowered the cake and you couldnt taste the orange cream flavor. Lesson learned but still fantastic!!!

MacsMom Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:40am
post #2659 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffla

Yangers, for the orange dreamsicle cake, I used lorann's "orange cream" flavor and it was perfect. The recipe you typed in above also doesnt show the oj or diet sunkist soda. (I used the soda) and let me tell you, the cake was perfection.

I ended up taking away from the flavor by using the white chocolate truffle. I think I used too much. Should have just done the two layers of cake and one layer of filling but i torted so there were three layers of filling. The filling (which was delicious) overpowered the cake and you couldnt taste the orange cream flavor. Lesson learned but still fantastic!!!

I do like McCormick orange--perhaps you were confused because I said in that instance LoRann orange and McCormick are very similar, but I am referring the LoRann regular ol' orange - I haven't tried the orange cream yet.

The peanut butter cake recipe and the fudge filling recipe and the peanut butter mousse recipe are all in the Google doc (see my signature line) icon_wink.gif

cakemomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomof3 Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:32am
post #2660 of 6536
Quote:

It's a mock-cheesecake filling, actually:

16 oz cream cheese, softened
4 c Frostin Pride or Bettercreme
2 pkgs cheesecake pudding mix

Beat cream cheese 'til smooth cream cheese. Blend the dry pudding mixes into the whipped Bettercreme; blend into the cream cheese.

How long can you leave the cake out with this filling? Doesn't it have to be refirgerated?
Thanks!

l_m_mena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_m_mena Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:04am
post #2661 of 6536

Hey, guys. I just wanted to share the email and price list that I received from Amoretti. It may help some of those who are wondering about prices. Ohh, keep in mind that prices are listed per pound ($/lb) and tubs are ~2 to 10 pounds, so multiply accordingly.

Quote:
Quote:

Hello Lilliam,

I hope youre doing well.

As promised, I have attached a copy of our price list. We do sell in smaller quantities, please inquire.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you for your patience!

Thank you very much!

Nayre Sahbaz

Amoretti / Baristella / Capriccio
451 Lombard St.
Oxnard, CA 93030
805-983-2903 Office
805-604-0369 Fax
[email protected]
www.amoretti.com

sayhellojana Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:20am
post #2662 of 6536

Thank you so, so much for sharing the price list. I love that I've been waiting for that for so long, and when I finally get it it doesn't come from amoretti. lol.

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 12 May 2009 , 11:47am
post #2663 of 6536

Ok guys I followed your orange dreamsicle recipe to the letter and baked in two 8 inch rounds...both sank in the middle...I am bummed! needed it for a cake tomorrow. Can't understand what happened...baked for 30 mins at 350 and then turned oven down to 325 as it was not quite done...what happened? It also seems like a heavy cake?

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:16pm
post #2664 of 6536

The orange dreamsicle is next on my list to try. But when I bake wasc, i do it at 325. 8" rounds take about 45 mins for me in 2" pans.

Also on my short list to try is root beer! The S'mores cake was a huge success at the school party!! THank you so much everyone for sharing and updating the list!

MacsMom Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:54pm
post #2665 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyLady

Ok guys I followed your orange dreamsicle recipe to the letter and baked in two 8 inch rounds...both sank in the middle...I am bummed! needed it for a cake tomorrow. Can't understand what happened...baked for 30 mins at 350 and then turned oven down to 325 as it was not quite done...what happened? It also seems like a heavy cake?

Did you use Duncan Hines? It always sinks. I use Betty Crocker.

A sudden drop in temp causes cakes to sink, like opening the oven too soon--or turning the temp down. I bake at 325 for 50 mins for 8" rounds, but if they are filled more than 2/3 full they will take an hour or more.

Mattie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mattie1 Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:58pm
post #2666 of 6536

I made the orange dreamsicle this weekend. It was delicious but I dont think I added enough orange flavoring to it. I made 1/2 recipe. It was very moistand tasty. Next on my list is white russian.

MacsMom Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:00pm
post #2667 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemomof3

Quote:

It's a mock-cheesecake filling, actually:

16 oz cream cheese, softened
4 c Frostin Pride or Bettercreme
2 pkgs cheesecake pudding mix

Beat cream cheese 'til smooth cream cheese. Blend the dry pudding mixes into the whipped Bettercreme; blend into the cream cheese.

How long can you leave the cake out with this filling? Doesn't it have to be refirgerated?
Thanks!

Bettercreme is stable for 5 days once whipped, it helps the cream cheese last a bit longer left out. I have eaten left-over birthday cake that was left out for 2 days without having to go see the porcelian Gods, lol.

But now I use the white chocolate truffle fililng with a cup of Bettercreme whipped in, or the marscapone filling for a cheesecake filling (the marscapone is perfect, but I can only find it at Trader Joes).

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:01pm
post #2668 of 6536

yes I did use Duncan Hines...never had a problem with it before. someone told me to add extra egg. I am bummed! Plus it sank before I ever opened the door or lowered the temp.

MacsMom Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:08pm
post #2669 of 6536
Quote:

Thank you so, so much for sharing the price list. I love that I've been waiting for that for so long, and when I finally get it it doesn't come from amoretti. lol.

Ditto. Guess I won't be asking for a sample of cardamom extract at $319. for 1.8 lbs!

MacsMom Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:25pm
post #2670 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyLady

yes I did use Duncan Hines...never had a problem with it before. someone told me to add extra egg. I am bummed! Plus it sank before I ever opened the door or lowered the temp.

When you opened the door, are sure it had cooked enough to rise in the middle? Next time (if you try it again), use BC and bake at 325 for at least 45 mins before checking on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%