Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:17am
post #1471 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

I haven't been getting CC notifications for over a year now ... to any thread! icon_sad.gif Neither have I been getting notifications for new comments to my pics.

PM Heath - he'll fix it for you. I assume you've tried clearing your Forum Info settings and re-doing them (?)

Yep, been there, done that! I also PM'ed Heath twice and nothing ... icon_sad.gif But you know what, has been about 6 months since my last PM so will do it again tonight.

cats242 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cats242 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:46am
post #1472 of 6536

Just wanted to let everyone know...if you have a Publix grocery store near you...they have BC cake mixes buy one get on free!

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:46am
post #1473 of 6536

So sorry for not having the chance to read this week or I would have answered this question earlier.

With regards to the Whimsical Bake House butter cream I have had it taste a tad greasy as well but the problem is not whipping it enough.
I have found that you have to whip it for the full 20 mins. on high.
No joke for the time. You cannot shorten it.
It makes 9.5 cups of icing and it is light and fluffy without a greasy taste or a sugary one as well.
I hope this improves your outcome.

I just used it to make a root beer float sheet cake for a hockey team and used vanilla as the prominent flavour and it tasted like root beer and ice cream. Not greasy at all.

laynie72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laynie72 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:20am
post #1474 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynie72

Ok I went to the website, for what I can see they have 3 different ones, 1-frappuccino 2-Mochaccino 3- Caramel frappuccino. My pastor likes is the caramel frappuccino.

so I went over and order one try it, It has a strong coffee flavor mix with caramel it is very good.
Now, the mix the manager sold me ( I try it too) has already coffee in it and it is strong, the mix taste to me like there is some vanilla and when they mix it they add the caramel.

Is this giving you a good idea?

You are the coolest!

You see?! icon_razz.gif Yes, stick to your original plan, but until I get the caramel/baking soda issue figured out, I suggest 1 1/2 c brown sugar + 1 c white sugar. No additional coffee flavoring required thumbs_up.gif

I did it and it is perfect!!! moist it didn't sunk (I use the heating cores ) and it tastes just like the frapucciono I had earlier.
I use butercream and cajeta ( Mexican caramel ) as a filling.

Here is the final recipe:

2 boxes of white cake mix
2 cups of flour ( I used cake flour)
1 box of vanilla pudding
1 cup of sugar
½ t of salt
1½ cups of frapuccino mix ( from starbucks)
1/2 cup of cjaeta ( Mexican caramel found in Wal-Mart where the Mexican stuff is)
½ cup of milk
2 cups of sour cream
6 eggs
¼ cup of oil

Thank you MacsMom so much for your help, I do not think I could have ever done it without your ideas.

auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:22am
post #1475 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats242

Just wanted to let everyone know...if you have a Publix grocery store near you...they have BC cake mixes buy one get on free!

I also got Publix brand powdered sugar 1# bags 2 for $0.79 at a Publix in GA this past Sunday, but haven't checked to see if it was at other area Publix stores as well. I bought every bag they had on the shelf!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:41am
post #1476 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ok I went to the website, for what I can see they have 3 different ones, 1-frappuccino 2-Mochaccino 3- Caramel frappuccino. My pastor likes is the caramel frappuccino.

so I went over and order one try it, It has a strong coffee flavor mix with caramel it is very good.
Now, the mix the manager sold me ( I try it too) has already coffee in it and it is strong, the mix taste to me like there is some vanilla and when they mix it they add the caramel.

Is this giving you a good idea?

You are the coolest!

You see?! icon_razz.gif Yes, stick to your original plan, but until I get the caramel/baking soda issue figured out, I suggest 1 1/2 c brown sugar + 1 c white sugar. No additional coffee flavoring required thumbs_up.gif

I did it and it is perfect!!! moist it didn't sunk (I use the heating cores ) and it tastes just like the frapucciono I had earlier.
I use butercream and cajeta ( Mexican caramel ) as a filling.

Here is the final recipe:

2 boxes of white cake mix
2 cups of flour ( I used cake flour)
1 box of vanilla pudding
1 cup of sugar
½ t of salt
1½ cups of frapuccino mix ( from starbucks)
1/2 cup of cjaeta ( Mexican caramel found in Wal-Mart where the Mexican stuff is)
½ cup of milk
2 cups of sour cream
6 eggs
¼ cup of oil

Thank you MacsMom so much for your help, I do not think I could have ever done it without your ideas.

Awesome!! HOw much was the mix?

laynie72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laynie72 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:58am
post #1477 of 6536

He charge me the price of a venti frapuccino. about 5.00 I think.
He was very nice I explain to him that I was doing a cake and that I wanted to give it to my pastor... he problably though I was a bit crazy icon_confused.gif
But theywere very nice icon_rolleyes.gif

nefgaby Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:29am
post #1478 of 6536

Woohoo!! Page 100!!!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif 100 pages of awesome recipes! thumbs_up.gif

bamber127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bamber127 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:42am
post #1479 of 6536

So I have read all 100 pages and I'm very excited to try some of the recipes ... but not quite sure if I saw the answer to this.

For the Canadian ladies ... I know we can't get bettercreme but has anyone experimented with the alternatives? Cool whip or Dream whip?? I would love to hear the results.

Thanks!!

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 11:20am
post #1480 of 6536

dandelion56602 - on your creme brulee cake did you use 2 cups sour cream? I noticed that hasnt been added to the recipe yet.

ladixiechic1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladixiechic1 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:50pm
post #1481 of 6536

THIS IS AN AWESOME THREAD AND I AM TRYING TO KEEP UP icon_eek.gif I SEE ALOT OF GREAT CAKE RECIPES AND FILLINGS THAT I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY icon_biggrin.gif MY QUESTION IS: I DON'T SEE ICING SUGGESTIONS/RECIPES WITH THE CAKE AND FILLING RECIPE COMBINATIONS. AM I MISSING SOMETHING? ARE YOU JUST FLAVORING YOUR BUTTERCREAM TO MATCH THE CAKE/FILLING?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:03pm
post #1482 of 6536

I believe it was said that vanilla is the most used buttercream flavor

I did use the amount of sourcream the WASC calls for

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:09pm
post #1483 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by malishka

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindambc

Quote:

lindambc,
I have made the snickerdoodle cake twice and my kids gobled it up in a second.
I got the recipe from my cake mix doctor book. Don't have my book with me right now at work, so I will post it for you tomorrow.

Oh thanks for letting me know where to find it! I just got that book for my birthday and have only been able to sneak a peak so far!!!

you know, someone told me to buy that book and i did about a year and a half ago. I skimed thru it, and never looked at it again. I rescently picked it up and really did my homework after macsmom's insites and it completely changed my baking world around. it's a very good source of info to have on hand.
Now every cake I have tried, i put a sticky to mark the page for future reference.

Hi lindambc,
As promised, I have my book with me. It's hidden on my laps under my desk so my boss won't see. I will attempt to post the entire recipe in one shot without interuptions.
Can you tell I'm addicted to the CC? lol

Snickerdoodle Cake

1 package plain white cake mix
1 cup whole milk
8 tblspns (1 stick) butter, melted
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

I put about 3 full teaspoons of ground cinnamon into my cake to give it more "Bam"

Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting

8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter at room temp
3 3/4 cups conf sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

thumbs_up.gif

Back to work I go.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:08pm
post #1484 of 6536

I would like to say thanks to everyone who has participated in this thread. The information here is absolutely invaluable.

nefgaby Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:16pm
post #1485 of 6536

OK, following MacsMom recipes/alterations ... would this make a WASC Snickerdoodle?

(will go to the store and check out creamer and yogurt flavors to complement this recipe)

2 white cake mixes
2 c flour
2 c sugar
2 c sour cream OR 3 yogurts to complement flavor
1 ½ t salt
6 eggs
1 1/3 c milk
1 1/3 c coffee creamer to complement flavor
1 t pure vanilla extract
1 t butter extract
2 t cinnamon extract or 1 t LorAnn cinnamon flavor
¼ c melted butter
1 T ground cinammon

Any thoughts??
MacsMom, you are a genious! icon_smile.gif

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:20pm
post #1486 of 6536

When I made a strawberry WASC recipe fomr macsmom's list , I used strawbery daquiree (sp?) mix instead of water. I guess it's the stuff you mix the drink with. It came out fantastic! I couldn't find strawberry flavored cake mix but I found the daquiree mix instead.
They also have pina colada and other flavors

It's a great addition to flavorings.

MacsMom Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:34pm
post #1487 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

OK, following MacsMom recipes/alterations ... would this make a WASC Snickerdoodle?

(will go to the store and check out creamer and yogurt flavors to complement this recipe)

2 white cake mixes
2 c flour
2 c sugar
2 c sour cream OR 3 yogurts to complement flavor
1 ½ t salt
6 eggs
1 1/3 c milk
1 1/3 c coffee creamer to complement flavor
1 t pure vanilla extract
1 t butter extract
2 t cinnamon extract or 1 t LorAnn cinnamon flavor
¼ c melted butter
1 T ground cinammon

Any thoughts??
MacsMom, you are a genious! icon_smile.gif

That sounds perfect! I have tasted Yoplait's cinnamon roll flavor and it isn't very cinnamon-y. I still like the idea of using mini-cinnamon chips in the batter.

What would you fill it with it? Anything cream-cheesy would again be too close to my Cinnamon Roll cake. What about apple butter mixed with Bettercreme?

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:43pm
post #1488 of 6536

Can anyone add these to the link, or does the creator of the link have to do it? I would hate for that responsibility to pile on one person?

All these additions look great..and I too am not getting notifications for this thread. I wonder what is going on?

MacsMom Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:46pm
post #1489 of 6536
Quote:

When I made a strawberry WASC recipe fomr macsmom's list , I used strawbery daquiree (sp?) mix instead of water. I guess it's the stuff you mix the drink with. It came out fantastic! I couldn't find strawberry flavored cake mix but I found the daquiree mix instead.
They also have pina colada and other flavors

It's a great addition to flavorings.

Thanks! The strawberry cake is already loaded in sugar so when I used Kerns nectar for all of the water the cake became overmoist. I actually have to let it be and go forward with the cake (due tomorrow).

It's the strawberry lemonade cake I complained about earlier, having used yellow mix for the lemonade - so the whole cake is over-moist. I am glad it is a freebie for a friend, I just hope no one thinks it's underbaked! It tastes fabulous, anyway...

So.. we have learned the lesson of adding too many sugary products! detective.gif

I will always use white cake as a base from this point forward (except I'm not changing the banana cake recipe icon_wink.gif ).

MacsMom Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:55pm
post #1490 of 6536

Here's a question: Do you think adding a dry mix of plain gelatin to a no-bake cheesecake recipe will help it stay thick? (I saw a recipe for no-bake pach cheesecake using peach JellO). Everytime I beat flavorings into the "cheesecake" it no longer resembles the texture of cheesecake.

This is what I tried:
2 (8 oz) pkgs cream cheese, softened
1 c white sugar
2 c Bettercreme
2 t strawberry compound

Oh, and here is bake-able peanut butter filling to add to our list (for a cake swirl or cupcakes):
2 (8oz) pkgs cream cheese
2/3 c sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla

MacsMom Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:57pm
post #1491 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbak37

Can anyone add these to the link, or does the creator of the link have to do it? I would hate for that responsibility to pile on one person?

All these additions look great..and I too am not getting notifications for this thread. I wonder what is going on?

I see at the bottom it says "edit this page, if you have permission". I'd be willing to take it over!

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:00pm
post #1492 of 6536

t getting notifications for this thread. I wonder what is going on?[/quote]

I see at the bottom it says "edit this page, if you have permission". I'd be willing to take it over![/quote]

I can help too if needed!

dandelion56602 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:01pm
post #1493 of 6536

MacsMom, maybe that was my problem w/ the limeade cake I made & why is was overmoist. I used white & yellow mix (mainly b/c i didnt want it to be green from the sherbert). Maybe next time I'll use just white mixes.

I don't know about other locations, but my Kroger has a cinnamon creamer that is to die for. I use their brand, but I think Coffee Mate makes it too.

MacsMom Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:24pm
post #1494 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

...maybe that was my problem w/ the limeade cake I made & why is was overmoist. I used white & yellow mix (mainly b/c i didnt want it to be green from the sherbert). Maybe next time I'll use just white mixes.

I am making the lemonade cake again in 2 weeks, so I am going to use white mix with 2 cups lemonade concentrate and 2/3 c water this time.

How much sherbet/limeade did you use?

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:00pm
post #1495 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by noyhoward

I just called Sam's & they have it there.The lady from Sam's told me that it's about $20.00 for a bucket, I guess I'll be running there in a while.I'm going to be making a cake for my son b-day this weekend.I was wondering if I use bettercream for icing,can I put a buttercream transfer on the cake?Will it set like a buttercream so I can apply the transfer on it without messing up the cake?Sorry I'm a newbie.I want to try the WASC withe cheesecake & raspberry puree.Can't wait.Thanks for the help!

This is the type of frosting I use on my cakes because I don't like how sweet buttercream is. I know Sam's carries it but I buy it from a local bakery supply store. The one I buy is "Whip 'N Top". It comes in white and chocolate flavor. They are both very good. You can do just about anything you can do with buttercream. The longer you whip it the stiffer it gets. The only thing I have heard is that it will not hold up as well to sprayed on coloring. Although you can color it. It also takes a little more gel coloring to get a stronger color. Buttercream colors are a lot darker and brighter. The taste is very good. The chocolate is like a light moose (delicious) and the vanilla is very similar to cool whip just thicker. You can apply transfers to it.

ladixiechic1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladixiechic1 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:40pm
post #1496 of 6536

AGAIN ,THIS IS AN AWESOME THREAD AND I AM TRYING TO KEEP UP icon_eek.gif I SEE ALOT OF GREAT CAKE RECIPES AND FILLINGS THAT I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY icon_biggrin.gif MY QUESTION IS: I DON'T SEE ICING SUGGESTIONS/RECIPES WITH THE CAKE AND FILLING RECIPE COMBINATIONS. AM I MISSING SOMETHING? ARE YOU JUST FLAVORING YOUR BUTTERCREAM TO MATCH THE CAKE/FILLING?[/quote]

MacsMom Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 5:25pm
post #1497 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladixiechic1

I DON'T SEE ICING SUGGESTIONS/RECIPES WITH THE CAKE AND FILLING RECIPE COMBINATIONS. AM I MISSING SOMETHING? ARE YOU JUST FLAVORING YOUR BUTTERCREAM TO MATCH THE CAKE/FILLING?

[/quote]

We have to have some room to make the recipes our own, lol.

There are several filling recipes listed that are used for more than one cake and are varied by changing type of chocolate and extracts used, like the Truffle filling (you can add 1/2 c preserves to the white truffle, for instance).

You'll find:
Lime curd for key lime and margarita cakes
Marscarpone filling for tiramisu cake
Caramel filling for Creme Brulee and other cakes
Peanut butter filling for peanut butter cake variations
Fudge filling for a thick chocolate slice
My BC recipe is on there (I do just add extracts to match the cake)
Cherry Chocolate Chip Ricotta Filling
Nougat for the Snickers cake
Cookie Dough filling
Pistachio
..and for others I just buy sleeves of fruit pastry fillings.

I would like to be able to access the google doc so that I can help by arranging the fillings with the cake recipes. It's a lot of work for one person! And trying to keep up with all that we keep adding and modifying based on our experiences...

MacsMom Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 5:27pm
post #1498 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa2745

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyhoward

I just called Sam's & they have it there.The lady from Sam's told me that it's about $20.00 for a bucket, I guess I'll be running there in a while.I'm going to be making a cake for my son b-day this weekend.I was wondering if I use bettercream for icing,can I put a buttercream transfer on the cake?Will it set like a buttercream so I can apply the transfer on it without messing up the cake?Sorry I'm a newbie.I want to try the WASC withe cheesecake & raspberry puree.Can't wait.Thanks for the help!

This is the type of frosting I use on my cakes because I don't like how sweet buttercream is. I know Sam's carries it but I buy it from a local bakery supply store. The one I buy is "Whip 'N Top". It comes in white and chocolate flavor. They are both very good. You can do just about anything you can do with buttercream. The longer you whip it the stiffer it gets. The only thing I have heard is that it will not hold up as well to sprayed on coloring. Although you can color it. It also takes a little more gel coloring to get a stronger color. Buttercream colors are a lot darker and brighter. The taste is very good. The chocolate is like a light moose (delicious) and the vanilla is very similar to cool whip just thicker. You can apply transfers to it.

Bettercreme and Frostin Pride cannot, however, be used under fondant. It will melt the fondant.

_ROYALTY_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_ROYALTY_ Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:35pm
post #1499 of 6536
Quote:

It's a mock-cheesecake filling, actually:

16 oz cream cheese, softened
4 c Frostin Pride or Bettercreme
2 pkgs cheesecake pudding mix

Beat cream cheese 'til smooth cream cheese. Blend the dry pudding mixes into the whipped Bettercreme; blend into the cream cheese.

I noticed on some of the cheesecake fillings from your list, there are some flavored ones... what do you use for the different flavorings, and how much do you add? icon_biggrin.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:47pm
post #1500 of 6536

I used the same amount of sherbert as the orange. I substituted 1/4 of the water for lime juice & it had a great flavor.

I may try the Fr. Vanilla BC. It's suppose to be a middle ground between white & yellow. Maybe it'll be light enough to not make it overly moist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%