Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

ambolil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambolil Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 5:28pm
post #1381 of 6536

I really enjoy seeing everyone's blog's and websites!!

Macsmom- I knew your's would be great based on all the help you have provided us.

I hope that my sis can help me get one up and running. Sorry this is off the topic, do you take the pictures of your cakes?

I just can't wait to get started!!!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 5:47pm
post #1382 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambolil

Sorry this is off the topic, do you take the pictures of your cakes?

Yep! I push 2 chairs together and place a large cutting board on them, cover the chairs and board with a large piece of fabric or sheet, set the cake on top and snap about 30 photos...

You'd be surprised how few good pictures you end up with. I try different angles and different lighting (flash/no-flash, overhead lights on/off). The best light is outdoors, so now that there is no risk of rain I may start taking pics outside.

MacsMom Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:25pm
post #1383 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturpin

Carrot Cake straight up! Brandie

LOL!! Just my style! It's so easy to make a boxed carrot cake taste homemade - my neighbors still think mine is from scratch icon_razz.gif .

Use Betty Crocker...

1 box carrot cake mix
1 box white mix
2 c flour
2 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 pkg vanilla pudding
1 c vanilla coffee creamer - or a spiced flavor around the holidays.
1 2/3 c water (this one has more water than creamer because it so moist)3 (6oz) containers Yoplait cinnamon roll yogurt *I haven't actually used this yet, but it sounds good, lol. Otherwise, stick to 2 cups sourcream.
8 egg whites
1/4 c oil
ADD
2 tsp cinnamon
2 to 3 cups finely shredded carrots

(You could potentially add a can of crushed pineapple, coconut flakes, and/or chopped nuts, too - no other substitutions required)

icon_biggrin.gif

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:37pm
post #1384 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturpin

Carrot Cake straight up! Brandie

LOL!! Just my style! It's so easy to make a boxed carrot cake taste homemade - my neighbors still think mine is from scratch icon_razz.gif .

Use Betty Crocker...

1 box carrot cake mix
1 box white mix
2 c flour
2 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 pkg vanilla pudding
1 c vanilla coffee creamer - or a spiced flavor around the holidays.
1 2/3 c water (this one has more water than creamer because it so moist)3 (6oz) containers Yoplait cinnamon roll yogurt *I haven't actually used this yet, but it sounds good, lol. Otherwise, stick to 2 cups sourcream.
8 egg whites
1/4 c oil
ADD
2 tsp cinnamon
2 to 3 cups finely shredded carrots

(You could potentially add a can of crushed pineapple, coconut flakes, and/or chopped nuts, too - no other substitutions required)

icon_biggrin.gif

Am I using just the Egg Whites in this one, not the whole egg?

Thanks so much - I'm going to see if I can find the cinnamon roll yogurt also!

MacsMom Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:42pm
post #1385 of 6536

Yes, just the whites icon_wink.gif

MacsMom Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:44pm
post #1386 of 6536
Quote:

I forgot to add, I buy a carton of just whites at Trader Joes for $2. It saves wasting yolks and is about the same price if I were to buy just 8 eggs.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:49pm
post #1387 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

I forgot to add, I buy a carton of just whites at Trader Joes for $2. It saves wasting yolks and is about the same price if I were to buy just 8 eggs.

Good to know! Thanks again!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:01pm
post #1388 of 6536

Is it ok to add nuts & raisins to the carrot recipe or does anything need to be adjusted if we do add the nuts & raisins?

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:07pm
post #1389 of 6536

Hi MacsMom,

I was hoping I could pick you brain some more ... I was reading on your blog, and was curious about the Almond Joy with Coconut filling, the Apple Pie cake (do you use a sleeve for the filling?) and the Banana Caramel Cheesecake.

Do you mind sharing your recipes on those?

Oh, and for the Chocolate Banana Cheesecake, do you just replace the cake for chocolate WASC?

Thanks soooo much! You rock! icon_smile.gif

OK, and whenever you decide to publish a cook book, please add me to the waiting list! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

esculapiaxula Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esculapiaxula Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:16pm
post #1390 of 6536

Question about all these recipes (and TIA). By "cake flour", do you mean just plain cake flour or all purpose cake flour?

SANZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SANZ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:35pm
post #1391 of 6536

Just wanted to add my two cents. For a filling - I use a recipe from Paula Deen's Chocolate Celebration book. It's simple but awesome - you could use any pudding mix and change the flavor. Here it is:

Boston Cream Filling
1 (3.4 oz) box instant vanilla flavored pudding mix
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup of confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream

In a large bowl, combine pudding mix, cream, sugar, milk & sour cream. Beat at medium speed with mixer until stiff peaks form. (I usually put my whipping cream & milk in the freezer a few minutes to get it nice a cold - whips better.

Enjoy

stemps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stemps Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:38pm
post #1392 of 6536

This is a fantastic coversation!! What a wealth of information you all are - and so willing to share EVERYTHING - thank you!!!

Now, I may have missed it somewhere in the 94 pages I just finished reading - but is there a recipe for SNICKERDOODLE cake somewhere? What kind of filling/frosting would you use? Thanks!

MacsMom Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:47pm
post #1393 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by esculapiaxula

Question about all these recipes (and TIA). By "cake flour", do you mean just plain cake flour or all purpose cake flour?

I didn't know there two types of "cake flour". Like Swan brand in the red box. icon_wink.gif

MacsMom Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:50pm
post #1394 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANZ

Just wanted to add my two cents. For a filling - I use a recipe from Paula Deen's Chocolate Celebration book. It's simple but awesome - you could use any pudding mix and change the flavor. Here it is:

Boston Cream Filling
1 (3.4 oz) box instant vanilla flavored pudding mix
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup of confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream

In a large bowl, combine pudding mix, cream, sugar, milk & sour cream. Beat at medium speed with mixer until stiff peaks form. (I usually put my whipping cream & milk in the freezer a few minutes to get it nice a cold - whips better.

Enjoy

Thank you!! I was looking for something like that! thumbs_up.gif

MacsMom Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:51pm
post #1395 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Is it ok to add nuts & raisins to the carrot recipe or does anything need to be adjusted if we do add the nuts & raisins?

You must've missed "no other substitutions required" icon_wink.gif Just add 'em in.

MacsMom Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:59pm
post #1396 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

Almond Joy with Coconut filling,
the Apple Pie cake (do you use a sleeve for the filling?)
and the Banana Caramel Cheesecake.

Oh, and for the Chocolate Banana Cheesecake, do you just replace the cake for chocolate WASC?
icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Almond joy: I add almond extract to the chocolate WASC and use a sleeve of coconut filling with extra sweetened shredded coconut stirred in. And coarsely chopped almonds, toasted.

I buy sliced apple filling from Ross Foods http://www.fruitfillings.com/product_list.html
But I feel guilty and should start making my own icon_razz.gif

For my banana and chocolate cream cheese cakes I use two 8 oz cream cheese blocks, softened. You have to blend the eggs into the cream cheese before adding to the batter. No other substitutions.

The recipe for Thick Caramel filling should be in the google doc.

...gotta go pick up my kids!!

SANZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SANZ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:58pm
post #1397 of 6536

MacsMom - it does my heart good that some one on this forum was able to contribute to you, since we have completely bled you dry with recipes and ideas. Again thank you for everything! And your recipes!

FairyPoppins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyPoppins Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:07pm
post #1398 of 6536

Thanks to everyone who is contributing - I bow down to your gourmet flavored greatness!

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:19pm
post #1399 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by stemps

This is a fantastic coversation!! What a wealth of information you all are - and so willing to share EVERYTHING - thank you!!!

Now, I may have missed it somewhere in the 94 pages I just finished reading - but is there a recipe for SNICKERDOODLE cake somewhere? What kind of filling/frosting would you use? Thanks!

I thought we had discussed snickerdoodle cake somewhere in this thread but I can't find it! I looked through the list of flavors I have saved and looked on the list recipes! I don't see it icon_cry.gif

So if anyone remembers where it is in the thread, please let us know where we can find it or if you can, repost it!

Thanks

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:23pm
post #1400 of 6536

Oh, that Almond Joy cake sound fabulous! Thanks everyone for all these great ideas.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:30pm
post #1401 of 6536
Quote:

For my banana and chocolate cream cheese cakes I use two 8 oz cream cheese blocks, softened. You have to blend the eggs into the cream cheese before adding to the batter. No other substitutions.

Thanks MacsMom!!! thumbs_up.gif

Just want to make sure I got it right, you add 2-8oz cream cheese blocks to the WASC and still keep the sour cream/yogurt in the recipe? And for the banana one, I'm thinking you add the mashed bananas as well, right?

On another topic, I was reading your recipes for curds, and you list "eggs" on your ingredients, you use whole eggs? Not just the yolks? Just curious.

I'm sorry for all the question, I feel like I just won the lottery. It is very kind of you to share all your knowledge with us. Thanks!!! Thank you so very much!

MacsMom Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:17pm
post #1402 of 6536
Quote:

Just want to make sure I got it right, you add 2-8oz cream cheese blocks to the WASC and still keep the sour cream/yogurt in the recipe? And for the banana one, I'm thinking you add the mashed bananas as well, right?

On another topic, I was reading your recipes for curds, and you list "eggs" on your ingredients, you use whole eggs? Not just the yolks? Just curious.

Sorry, I thought my banana cake recipe was in the doc, but it's not!
1 box banana cake mix + 1 box white mix
2 c flour
2 c sugar
1 1/2 t salt
1 pkg banana pudding mix, dry
3 (6oz) containers banana yogurt
1 1/3 c vanilla creamer
1 1/3 water
1/4 c oil
6 eggs
3 mashed bananas
1 T vanilla

For they key lime, it's whole eggs
http://coconutlime.blogspot.com/2006/08/key-lime-curd.html

For the mango, it's the yolks only.

And yes, I just add the cream cheese, keeping the sour cream. That's what makes it "cheesecake-y" ~ It's still cake, but rich and delicious, a definite cheesecake-cake.

MacsMom Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:26pm
post #1403 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindambc

I thought we had discussed snickerdoodle cake somewhere in this thread but I can't find it! I looked through the list of flavors I have saved and looked on the list recipes! I don't see it icon_cry.gif

So if anyone remembers where it is in the thread, please let us know where we can find it or if you can, repost it!

I don't think we ever officially came up with a recipe. I was planning on adding 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon and adding a pkg of cream cheese for the rich cookie-ness, using 4 tsp of butter flavoring, and swirling in the cinnamon roll filling:
4 T butter, melted
2/3 c brown sugar
5 t cinnamon

Hmm... that's very similar to my "Cinnamon Roll Cake" icon_rolleyes.gif

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:04am
post #1404 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, I thought my banana cake recipe was in the doc, but it's not!
1 box banana cake mix + 1 box white mix
2 c flour
2 c sugar
1 1/2 t salt
1 pkg banana pudding mix, dry
3 (6oz) containers banana yogurt
1 1/3 c vanilla creamer
1 1/3 water
1/4 c oil
6 eggs
3 mashed bananas
1 T vanilla

For they key lime, it's whole eggs
http://coconutlime.blogspot.com/2006/08/key-lime-curd.html

For the mango, it's the yolks only.

And yes, I just add the cream cheese, keeping the sour cream. That's what makes it "cheesecake-y" ~ It's still cake, but rich and delicious, a definite cheesecake-cake.

Macsmom - question this recipe you just posted will it replace this recipe you have given me.

thanks

1 box white mix
1 box banana cake mix
1 package banana pudding
2 1/4 cup cake flour
2 1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 containers banana yogurt
6 eggs
1-1/3 cup vanilla coffee creamer
1-1/3 cup water
1 T vanilla
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 very ripe bananas

MacsMom Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:16am
post #1405 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsweet

Macsmom - question this recipe you just posted will it replace this recipe you have given me.

thanks

1 box white mix
1 box banana cake mix
1 package banana pudding
2 1/4 cup cake flour
2 1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
6 eggs
1-1/3 cup water
1 T vanilla
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 very ripe bananas

No, it shouldn't replace it, that is someone elses version. They probably taste very similar.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:23am
post #1406 of 6536

Sheesh, I just got an email notice and FIVE pages have gone by!! I can't keep up!! icon_cry.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

justsweet Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:24am
post #1407 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

thanks

1 box white mix
1 box banana cake mix
1 package banana pudding
2 1/4 cup cake flour
2 1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
6 eggs
1-1/3 cup water
1 T vanilla
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 very ripe bananas

No, it shouldn't replace it, that is someone elses version. They probably taste very similar.

Sorry, I thought you gave it to me. Thanks

MacsMom Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:58am
post #1408 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

thanks

1 box white mix
1 box banana cake mix
1 package banana pudding
2 1/4 cup cake flour
2 1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
6 eggs
1-1/3 cup water
1 T vanilla
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 very ripe bananas

Sorry, I thought you gave it to me. Thanks

I'm a dork, I totally gave it you. I just went to check my recipe file and there it was. I've been completely overwhelmed with cake orders and sleep-deprived that I had forgotten I tried that recipe for my FIL's 70th birthday last January (I haven't made a banana cak esince then). I took bits and pieces from the Cake Mix Doctor and added it to my old WASC version. It was much better, less dense and stayed moist for days.

Can anyone get over and help me get through the next 3 weeks? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

justsweet Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:10am
post #1409 of 6536

Macsmom, thanks.

take a deep breath and a nice bubble bath. Look forward to seeing the cakes you make. I hope can make it in September for the Jennifer Dontz class.

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:19am
post #1410 of 6536

MacsMom ~ thank you so much for your list! I can't wait to try some of these out!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%