Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:25pm
post #1321 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Another good inspiration for flavors are Jelly Bellys. DH & I took the girls to a local candy shop this weekend & they had those tubes of Jelly Bellys. I won't start mentioning flavors b/c I might get smacked icon_smile.gif

How easy! Check out all the flavors of frozen concentrates: apple, strawberry kiwi, mango peach, grape, etc.

You could go crazy with these + plus food coloring icon_biggrin.gif

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:25pm
post #1322 of 6536

Here is my Guinness WASC Recipe, I made this for St. Patricks Day, but now that I see Macsmom's recipe for Baileys cake, I may try making both cakes and alternate layers of cake, for a different version of the Irish Car Bomb!

Guinness WASC

2 chocolate cake mixes
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
8 eggs
2 2/3 cup guinness, pour it into a bowl before hand to get rid of bubbles
4 tbsp. oil
2 cup sour cream
3 tsp. vanilla

Enjoy!

Luvtojellyroll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvtojellyroll Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:37pm
post #1323 of 6536

Chickie Those look so awesome. I'll bet they were delicious.

chikie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikie Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:38pm
post #1324 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:

Another good inspiration for flavors are Jelly Bellys. DH & I took the girls to a local candy shop this weekend & they had those tubes of Jelly Bellys. I won't start mentioning flavors b/c I might get smacked icon_smile.gif

How easy! Check out all the flavors of frozen concentrates: apple, strawberry kiwi, mango peach, grape, etc.

I seen all those different flavors that I want to try, but I made a Pink lemonade last week and used the whole can of lemonade and it was too sour. I think I'll try using half of that amount next time.

laynie72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laynie72 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 7:11pm
post #1325 of 6536

I cant believe this thread I just spent about 3 hrs reading is absolutely amazing and full of information,
MacsMom you are amazing ! Thank you for sharing your flavor enhanced brain with us.
I found this because I am in search of a delicious apple cake, not as dense as if it was apple bread but good enough to stack a 4 tier cake Wondering what would you guys do I want it to be gourmet

Thanks!

esculapiaxula Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esculapiaxula Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 7:14pm
post #1326 of 6536

My goodness!!! I am truly amazed at the generosity of all the people at CC. Going to potlucks, church functions, and other events, I've seen people guard their recipes as if they were top secret or classified. And here, at CC, members are truly willing to share what I can only imagine must have taken years of practice to master. So, to all, THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH!!! I'm very much an amateur. Maybe some day I'll be able to contribute and add to your wisdom. Again, thank you!

chikie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikie Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 7:17pm
post #1327 of 6536
Quote:

I just returned from the store to buy lemonade concentrate for the strawberry-lemonade cake and thought, "Heck, if lemonade concentrate adds a nice, tart flavor, what about grape concentrate for sort of a Jolly Rancher grape cake?"

I know it sounds weird, but I might experiment with it. Fun kids flavors are always a hit.

How much lemonade concentrate do you use??

Mom23girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom23girls Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 7:26pm
post #1328 of 6536

Macsmom - I have to thank you again!! I made your rainbowlicious cake for my daughters 4th birthday yesterday and people couldn't stop talking about it...in fact all the parents had a piece too and that NEVER happens! As a result, I have no leftovers for me! icon_cry.gif

Next on my list......well, I don't know! But I have another b-day cake to make for the family party in 2 weeks, so I need to decide quick icon_wink.gif

MacsMom Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 7:41pm
post #1329 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikie

Quote:

Quote:

I seen all those different flavors that I want to try, but I made a Pink lemonade last week and used the whole can of lemonade and it was too sour. I think I'll try using half of that amount next time.

Oooo.. I liked the sourness! But I do see why Linda's recipe suggests 1/2 can. However, that tartness would be great for a Jelly Belly cake.

MacsMom Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 7:50pm
post #1330 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindambc

Here is my Guinness WASC Recipe, I made this for St. Patricks Day, but now that I see Macsmom's recipe for Baileys cake, I may try making both cakes and alternate layers of cake, for a different version of the Irish Car Bomb!

Guinness WASC

2 chocolate cake mixes
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
8 eggs
2 2/3 cup guinness, pour it into a bowl before hand to get rid of bubbles
4 tbsp. oil
2 cup sour cream
3 tsp. vanilla

Enjoy!

Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif Is that supposed to be 8 egg whites or did you use 8 whole eggs?

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:31am
post #1331 of 6536

I haven't been getting emails and somehow my "watch this topic" flag got flipped. icon_sad.gif

I saw a question about a Red Velvet WASC recipe and I posted MacsMom's recipe from this thread. There are several questions about the quantity of batter that the recipe produces. MacsMom ... or anyone ... can you jump in and help them out? Here is the link:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6296443.html#6296443

Thanks,
Martha

kylietatesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylietatesmom Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:46am
post #1332 of 6536

I have made Macmoms pineapple cake with white chocolate truffle filling-it was out of this world. Now, I need a banana cream or mousse recipe, can someone help? I am going to make the nilla wafer cake and want to fill with banana cream and ice with white chocolate buttercreme.
I am somewhat of an amateur but I have learned so much from this forum. I bow in amazement to you guys!!!

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:59am
post #1333 of 6536

Macsmom,

What about using Mudslide mixer for the liquid in the Bailey's cake?

Also wanted to let you know that if you have Save-A-Lot in your area, I found Strawberry Nectar there.

MacsMom Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:10am
post #1334 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy6250

Macsmom,

What about using Mudslide mixer for the liquid in the Bailey's cake?

You're a GENIUS!! thumbs_up.gif

MacsMom Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:11am
post #1335 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylietatesmom

I have made Macmoms pineapple cake with white chocolate truffle filling-it was out of this world. Now, I need a banana cream or mousse recipe, can someone help? I am going to make the nilla wafer cake and want to fill with banana cream and ice with white chocolate buttercreme.
I am somewhat of an amateur but I have learned so much from this forum. I bow in amazement to you guys!!!

Just fold in some Bettercreme to banana pudding that is mixed with 1 cup of evaporated milk (as opposed to 2 cups regular milk).

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:20am
post #1336 of 6536
Quote:

You're a GENIUS!! thumbs_up.gif

I wouldn't go that far. You know that they make several varieties of those mixers, like the pina colada, dacquerie, white russian...etc

ambolil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambolil Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:43am
post #1337 of 6536

So it took me awhile, but I finally tried out the samples I received in the mail. The first cake I tried was a coconut cake with toasted coconut frosting. Absolutely wonderful!!! The second cake was a chocolate hazelnut with hazelnut frappuchino frosting. Not the greatest. I tried the whimiscal bakehouse frosting recipe and didn't love that either. It has a very greasy texture and is similar to eating straight crisco. Has anyone had this experience, or did I do something wrong??? I ended up mixing more of the amoretti toasted coconut compund into the basic whimisical frost and it tastes pretty good with a light flavor, but still has greasy texture. I tried Macsmom's chocolate truffle filling and mixed in the amoretti hazelnut ganache. it tasted great, but I didn't have enough to fill all the cupcakes I had made. I ended up mixing in the whimisical bakehouse into that too.

I noticed with the amoretti products, the end result is has a much more oil-like/greasy texture too. I ended up using quite a bit of their product to get a good result. Both cakes ended up very moist, light and fluffy.

Thanks again to all of you who have posted great recipes and I will forever be trying all of them out!!! Thanks again macsmom!

ckckhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckckhome Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:45am
post #1338 of 6536

Macsmom thank you so much for the Irish Cream Cake recipe. Today I found a Irish Creme creamer (International Delight) can this be use instead of the vanilla creamer. Do you think it will give the cake a strong flavor using the creamer and the liqueur? what kind of frosting do you use for this cake?

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:29am
post #1339 of 6536

holy cow...it's 12:23 in the morning and I finally got to page 90. I too have not been getting reply notices, so I definately clicked on the "watch topic" once again. This is the 3rd time it's happening.

Macsmom, today I came up with a flavor list. Crazy flavors, not my usual stuff. I emailed it to a girl who wants a winnie the poo cake for her son's 1st birthday.
She called me back and complained that she didn't know which one to pick. Se proceeded in ordering the usual boring stuff and I had convinced her to order your rainbowlicious recipe.
People get scared when they see all the different flavors.

Still I am feeling a bit more empowered with my crazy flavor list. Like a baker who knows her craft. icon_smile.gif I want to thank you for giving me the insight to venture out of my bubble.

MacsMom Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:38am
post #1340 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckckhome

Macsmom thank you so much for the Irish Cream Cake recipe. Today I found a Irish Creme creamer (International Delight) can this be use instead of the vanilla creamer. Do you think it will give the cake a strong flavor using the creamer and the liqueur? what kind of frosting do you use for this cake?

Use it!! icon_biggrin.gif There is no such thing as too strong a flavor (except with cherry - you want sweet not tart icon_rolleyes.gif )

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 5:19am
post #1341 of 6536

Oh, I was checking Kmart for different cake mixes & turned around to see all the TGI Friday's mixers---they had a mudslide one too. Must say my mouth was watering thinking about it.

ambolil, you're not off on the WBH buttercream. My dh says the exact same thing. i'll save you the time & tell you meringue buttercreams are the same. But if you'll add more flavor than the recipe calls for or different flavors (not butter it doesn't go well) then that'll help the flavor too. I like it personally, but to each their own. To use it up, cause it makes a ton, mix it w/ 1/2 of your regular buttercream & use it as fillings for cakes. it helps cut the sweetness & if you have a sweet rich powdered sugar based buttercream a lighter filling helps.

auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 6:14am
post #1342 of 6536

Has anyone put a filling in WASC cupcakes?

I made some yesterday and was worried they might be too dense for a filling?

ambolil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambolil Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:35pm
post #1343 of 6536

[ambolil, you're not off on the WBH buttercream. My dh says the exact same thing. i'll save you the time & tell you meringue buttercreams are the same. But if you'll add more flavor than the recipe calls for or different flavors (not butter it doesn't go well) then that'll help the flavor too. I like it personally, but to each their own. To use it up, cause it makes a ton, mix it w/ 1/2 of your regular buttercream & use it as fillings for cakes. it helps cut the sweetness & if you have a sweet rich powdered sugar based buttercream a lighter filling helps.[/quote]

This morning I had to try them again to see if the refrigeration changed the texture of the frosting, etc. They were actually pretty good. The consistency of the icing changed quite a bit. The coconut frosting was the one that had the worst texture and after it set up and I had dunked the cupcakes in toasted coconut, you can't tell at all. I will have to take my earlier opinion back. I do agree and can very well see that when added to another frosting, it will make it lighter and less sweet. Good to know!

Thanks again

MacsMom Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:14pm
post #1344 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambolil

... I tried the whimiscal bakehouse frosting recipe and didn't love that either. It has a very greasy texture and is similar to eating straight crisco. Has anyone had this experience, or did I do something wrong??? I ended up mixing more of the amoretti toasted coconut compund into the basic whimisical frost and it tastes pretty good with a light flavor...

I haven't tried WBH but it might help to beat it longer. My recipe is a double batch and I use vanilla creamer and pour in a whole jar of Wilton's butter flavor, sometimes throwing in a LoRann butter or two. Then I beat the living poop out of it! icon_cool.gif

An Amoretti rep called to see how I liked my samples and I had to be honest - not thrilled. Not as strong a flavor as I thought and to get it stronger it began to taste bitter (my strawberry experience). Of course, I didn't weigh anything so I caught some flack for that, but I don't want to have to go that extra mile to get the flavor just right.

I will order something from them as I soon as I have to chance to pour over the catalog due to their genorosity and amazing customer service, but LoRann is just simpler to use. I do love their ideas of moji-lada and other fun combos, but until my business grows and I can hire someone to weigh everything I make...

MacsMom Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:27pm
post #1345 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntsteff

I use filling that can be baked inside, like caramel and cheesecake. The cheesecake can be made white or chocolate, and you can add flavorings like raspberry, lemon, blueberry - anything, really. Just fill half-full, put a spoonful of filling on top, and cover with more batter. Don't let the filling touch the sides.

Bakeable Caramel
14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
½ c margarine or butter
14 oz package caramels, unwrapped

Bakeable Cheesecake Filling
8oz cream chz
1 egg
1/3 c sugar
1/2 t vanilla
1 c mini-chocolate chips

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 5:27pm
post #1346 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntsteff

That is how I test out all my recipes-- I think it works great. I made keylime pie cupcakes and mimosa cupcakes this week icon_smile.gif

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 5:28pm
post #1347 of 6536

Good morning!! Just wondering if anyone could help me...I know it's a dumb question, but I need a strawberry jam/strawberry filling recipe that is shelf-stable and not "creamy or moussey". (Bettercreme is out.) I mainly use fillings which require refrigeration, but this will not have refrigeration available. (Cake is being picked up the day before the party.) I very rarely use fruit fillings and I dislike sleeved fillings. Strawberry jam mixed with bc is just too sugary sweet. Strawberries, sugar, and cornstarch? Thanks for your help!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 6:24pm
post #1348 of 6536

someone here on CC gave a great tip on what she does for fruit fillings. She uses a regular size jar of jam or preserves and mixed in a package of jello that corresponds with that flavor!!! It was a great idea and now that is pretty much all I do. It is shelf stable and it a nice thick consistency so doesn't ooze!!!

get at least a 16oz jar of jam or preserves flavor of your liking. I scoop mine into a bowl and then microwave it for about a minute.. slightly warm. Then I mix in a small box of jello of the flavor that I want. Mix until dissolved.. then back in the jar it goes and in the fridg until I need it. Then I just barely heat it up so that it spreads easy.

Wonderful Wonderful WOnderful....... did I say wonderful!!! And easy!!

I wish I could give cuddo's to the person from CC who shared this great tip

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 6:59pm
post #1349 of 6536

Macsmom...

My customer wants a chocolate mint truffle filling. I don't know if you had a recipe or if I found it somewhere else.

I was thinking using your truffle recipe but using chocolate mint chocolate chips. Does that sound like it will work??

Scox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scox Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:23pm
post #1350 of 6536

yayuh! I wrote to Amoretti yesterday and got called today!! I will DEFINATLY be ordering from them. The customer service was really nice and I'll be getting samples too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%