Black Icing Scroll On White Wedding Cake

Decorating By sam_1955 Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 9:05pm by j-pal

sam_1955 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 9

help without it bleeding on cake

8 replies
indydebi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 9

Let the white base icing crust then add the black scrolling. If the black icing crusts well, that prevents bleeding also. Bleeding is the result of "wet" merging into "wet" icing. When the icings are "dry" (crusted), it diminishes the probability.

sugarwishes Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 12:16am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Let the white base icing crust then add the black scrolling. If the black icing crusts well, that prevents bleeding also. Bleeding is the result of "wet" merging into "wet" icing. When the icings are "dry" (crusted), it diminishes the probability.

ditto thumbs_up.gif

cupcake Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 9

I too was concerned about the possibility of the black bleeding, so to help my cause I first piped the scrolls in white and then came back and did the black over it. I did let the first scroll work crust well. This also gave it a more raised look. I had no problems with the bleeding, but my thought was that if it did I could lift the scroll off if one bled and redo. If the bleeding occured it would more then likely bleed onto the white scroll. I know this sounds like more work and it is, but it was worth it to me. I had no bleeding through. Good Luck.

indydebi Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 9

cupcake, what a great idea. plus it gives it some depth and dimension that differentiates your cakes from others! thumbs_up.gif

sam_1955 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 9

Thank's I will do that, with piping the white first sounds good.

tonedna Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 9

My last cake has srolling on it, I use chefmaster colors, the assure their colors won't bleed, and I support that statement. I dont let my icing crust and it still won't bleed.
Edna icon_smile.gif

ranbel Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 9

What about on fondant? White fondant with black b/c icing. Will the black bleed into the fondant????

j-pal Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 9:05pm
post #9 of 9

I live in a high humidity area, and sometimes my crusting buttercream will crust, but will still seem to have a "wetness" about it. So here are two things I've done in the past which work well...

1. pipe the scrollwork in royal icing -- it'll dry quickly and won't have as much opportunity to bleed.

2. I've added extra crisco to my black icing and less liquids. It's the water in icings that tend to make them bleed, so if you use more crisco, it's still easy to pipe, but it won't bleed.

Oh, also I've noticed that powder colors seem to bleed less overall then paste colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%