New Commercial Kitchen!

Business By montanabaker Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 5:33pm by gerripje

montanabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanabaker Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 17

I'm so excited, i just had to share! My hubby started framing the walls for my new kitchen! Yay!

16 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 17

Congratulations!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 17

Take pics along the way! Each step is a milestone!

My kitchen became "real" when I saw the walk-in refrigerator installed. Hubby said it was "real" for him when the exhaust hood went in.

Post pics! We wanna see!! We wanna see!!!

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 17

I am pea green with envy - In my dreams I will have a kitchen on day....sigh....take pictures along the way so I can drool and dream

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 11:11pm
post #5 of 17

Congratulations! I'm jealous....

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 17

I just a little farther along than you! Actually mine is almost done and I really excited. But is it normal to feel a little stressed that now I am actually going to have to do something? LOL!

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 17

Yes, yes share pictures all along the way! I'm so jealous, but you are SO SO lucky! Good luck and I hope it all goes quickly for you! thumbs_up.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:11am
post #8 of 17

Congrats galore!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:01am
post #9 of 17

Yay for you!!

We also framed my basement 'kitchen' today, although for a while it will be a bedroom. Right now we don't have the extra $$$ to install a kitchen and go through the legal hoops, so I am holding fire on starting the business and instead need to find a job to pay for it thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gificon_lol.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:19am
post #10 of 17

Congrats!

We're looking to hopefully have a separate kitchen built on our property by this spring (knock wood), so hopefully I'll have good news then.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:15am
post #11 of 17

What's the realistic cost to get a commercial quality kitchen on a home site property that will pass inspection and allow for legal baking?

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:12pm
post #12 of 17

I think mine will cost about 7K. I thought it would be less but the contract work (electrician mainly) was a killer. Between the electrician, plumber and HVAC it was around $3500. I have been looking for deals on equipment since spring and have gotten some really good deals ($500 for a new double oven, $150 for a used 3 basin sink, $1300 for a lightly used pair of commecial refrigerator/freezer, free cooktop, $100 for a new double oven cabinet at a tent sale etc) If you want to save money you have to work at it. This all would have cost me thousands more if I just went out and got new stuff. My dad has helped me find a lot of the deals on ebay, craigslist etc. Plus my DH and dad have done all the construction except what I mentioned earlier.

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:54pm
post #13 of 17

That's so exciting!

My new cake kitchen doesn't seem really to me yet. It was an old shop building on our property that we are converting. We just last week got it stripped down to the studs, and now the plumber is installing water and sewage. I think it will feel real to me when there are walls, a ceiling, and a floor all finished in there and I can start moving in equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheCake

What's the realistic cost to get a commercial quality kitchen on a home site property that will pass inspection and allow for legal baking?

I posted this in another thread and will re-post it here with some updates.

I'll give you my estimates. (These are not final costs as we wont be done til April, and this is for a building that is not attached to our home.)

Commercial grade appliances and fixtures: $7,000
Plumbing: $7,000
Electrical: $1,500
Heating and Air: $5,000
Floors, Walls, Ceiling: $4,000
Cement Repairs: $1,000

There will be other misc. costs that pop up, also permit filing fees, inspections fees, etc. The electrical, floors, walls, ceilings we are saving a bit on by doing ourselves and/or having a friend(s) help out.

In my state, everything has to be commercial grade. The above cost, of appliances and fixtures, was for a 30 qt mixer, a 2 door cooler, 2 (stacked) gas ovens, 3 bay sink with 2 drain boards, hand sink, mop sink, 4 8' stainless steel tables, 3 6'x4' wire storage racks, and 3 rolling cooling racks. All cake pans or other smaller equipment, I already own, and is not included in that total.

The cost of the grease trap and water heater are factored into the plumbing.

By not having a stove top (or fryers) I was able to avoid having to buy a hood or fire suppression system.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:01pm
post #14 of 17

Just a question, but how will you make fillings like fruit purees or ganache without a stoevtop? Will you get an industrial burner or something?

I think it is so great that you are able to contruct your shop. And thank you for posting your estimates. It is difficult to estimate when you have no idea where to begin.

Best of luck

montanabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanabaker Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:05pm
post #15 of 17

My hubby is a contractor who happens to be skilled in plumbing, electrical, and well, everything I need for the labor. Lucky me huh?! I pay him in cupcakes and cookies, lol! I am in the process of looking for used commercial appliances, because it's all required to be commercial.

I knew we didn't finish our basement last year for a reason! Now I get a legal kitchen!!!

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:19pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by acookieobsession

Just a question, but how will you make fillings like fruit purees or ganache without a stoevtop? Will you get an industrial burner or something?

Fruit fillings, I've switched to sleeve fillings, ganache I can do via microwave. I've also have to change the way I make SMBC or IMBC and have a recipe I'm tweaking that uses pasteurized egg whites instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanabaker

My hubby is a contractor who happens to be skilled in plumbing, electrical, and well, everything I need for the labor. Lucky me huh?!

I'm always so jealous of that! My dad was like that, but he lives 1,500 miles away. Getting my husband to do anything construction related is like pulling teeth. It's not his "thing". I am grateful that he is doing as much as he is to save some money, though.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:33pm
post #17 of 17

Congratulations! I'm so jealous, I wish my husband would actually respond when I say lets build me a kitchen........(assuming I will actually be good at cakes.....one day.......)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%