I Have To Stop Buying Stuff!!!

Business By Cathy26 Updated 11 Jan 2009 , 10:59pm by CakesByLJ

Cathy26 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone, im pretty new to this and have been buying tools, etc since around October. Im now registered as a business and have insurance, etc.

Ive just got flyers made so this really is it for me, im going to be taking orders from strangers rather than friends of friends, etc - very scary!

I know i wont make a profit this year but im making it worse by buying stuff! every cake i see, i see some tool, etc that i just have to have just to do a dummy cake or just to have "just in case"!!!!

Someone tell me to stop - please!!!! has anyone else this problem? so far this weekend i bought an 8 tier cupcake stand, assorted beads from Hong Kong and a multi flower centre mould as im dying to have a go at proper sugarcraft flowers on a wedding cake with wired beads,etc

I just love all this so much, you could literally never get bored as there's always something new to try! But seriously i think im addicted..... icon_redface.gif

11 replies
indydebi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 12

Welcome to the world of Normal!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Some stuff you can resist .... don't buy a cake stand until you have an order for a cake that needs that stand ... then you buy it out of the deposit money they give you. don't buy a 16" can pan until you get an order for a 16" cake.

Small tools are hard to resist and we justify it as "we need to practice with these!!"

And in the first year, you DO need to re-invest in your biz with buying new equipment and supplies.

Cathy26 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 12

lol glad im not the only one! so far it has been stuff like cake boards, boxes and millions of little tools but i can justify them all in that ive used everything !! the cupcake stand i just had to buy, it was £45 and has eight removable tiers and holds an 8in cake on top so i knew id need it eventually but that is it!! no more.....until i can justify an airbrush (watching Ace of Cakes was a bad idea -lol(

indydebi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy24

(watching Ace of Cakes was a bad idea -lol(

Oh no! get away!! He has too many really cool tools on that show!!

paddlegirl14 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:

I know i wont make a profit this year but im making it worse by buying stuff!

Maybe this will help. Depending on various things-rent, any other overhead, it can take 3 years for small businesses to actually turn a profit. You will probably start coming out ahead before that, but be prepared for the unexcepted and unwanted!!

I work for a small business owner, and we have to watch every dollar, even after almost 40 years. Especially with the economy now.

Only buy what you need, as needed. At least equipment wise. You have gotten along this ling without it, you can make do for a little longer.

kakeladi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 12

Speaking of A of C & airbrushes does *anyone* else hold their brush the way they do? It certainly is NOT the way I was taught and I've never seen any one else who does it that way.

Crissy_Cakes Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Speaking of A of C & airbrushes does *anyone* else hold their brush the way they do? It certainly is NOT the way I was taught and I've never seen any one else who does it that way.

icon_redface.gif I do!
It was never the way I was taught either but it feels natural to me and for some screwy reason, it gives me better control of the brush. I'm just odd like that.

sugarwishes Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 12

omg cathy!!! i can't stop either LoL. every week i give myself a set amount to spend on cake stuff. this week i bought dragees, more fondant, sugarshacks dvd, silver luster dust and a rose cutter. i'm already back on gsa's website thinking of what else i should get. its so bad but i want to try out everything!! i have so much stuff that i haven't even used yet. i probably should start with the very large amount of stuff i already have before i buy some more. so believe me, i know how you feel!!!

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:30pm
post #9 of 12

I'm kinda in the same boat, yet not. I don't own a business or anything, I just do cakes for fun and for family. Well, several months ago I did a pillow cake for my hubby's great aunt's birthday. I took the cake over to her retirement home and brought a small box of decorating tools with me (ya never know what could happen right?). So the party was great, everyone loved the cake and as I got home later that evening I notice I forgot the box of tools at the retirement home. No biggie, I'll just call and have them hold it for me since it is kinda a drive for me. Guess what, they can't find the box of tools anywhere. So now that I've spent money on almost completing my tool box, I now have to take an inventory of what I need and rebuy it! grr. The other night I made a heart shaped cake for my mom's birthday and guess what was in the little box? My icing smoother. Try getting a perfectly smooth cake without a smoother!

-K8memphis Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:40pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:

I know i wont make a profit this year but im making it worse by buying stuff! every cake i see, i see some tool, etc that i just have to have just to do a dummy cake or just to have "just in case"!!!!

Someone tell me to stop - please!!!! has anyone else this problem?

Wait wait, who knew this was a problem??

I feel like you just pulled the plug on Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.

icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

Now paying for them kinda gets 'challenging' but acquiring cake
toys has never been a problem for moi. icon_biggrin.gif

<highfive>

tcakes65 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:42pm
post #11 of 12

It takes a lot of self-discipline not to buy everything you see. When I got my new storefront, I bought all new supplies and equipment. Everything I thought I would need, I bought. Now when I see something, I smack myself on the hand and tell myself that it will have to wait. icon_lol.gif There's so many neat and interesting things out there and easy to buy, buy, buy. I'm like indydebi that I now only purchase things as I need them for cakes. If I need cutters or something, I buy it with the deposit money.

CakesByLJ Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:59pm
post #12 of 12

It's called a "decorator's curse"... I acquired it about 20 years ago, give or take.. icon_redface.gif
"You don't have to *use* it.. you just have to *have* it"
I am in a twelve step program... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif yeah, right.. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%