Need Help With My Blackfondant

Decorating By THECAKEPLACE Updated 11 Jan 2009 , 8:58pm by mammax4

THECAKEPLACE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THECAKEPLACE Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 9

I MADE BLACK FONDANT AND IT IS WAY TO SOFT. I USED EDNAS MMF RECIPE AND WOULD HAVE TO SAY THAT I USED ALOT OF FOOD COLOR. MY FONDANT HAS SET OUT FOR 2 DAYS AND DOES NOT SEEM TO BE FIRMING UP TO WELL. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE NICE. I THOUGHT ABOUT ADDING MORE SUGAR BUT THOUGHT I SHOULD ASK FIRST.

8 replies
leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 9

My suggestion is to buy black fondant. I don't make it, it never turns out right for me.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 9

Knead in more PS and cornstarch.

I use powdered food color but still have to add some gel food color to birng it from gray to black. It's works fine but is still a bit softer than normal.

I don't like Satin Ice because it is too dry (little crumbs tend to get left on your work space) and it dries with a matte finish.

I like Fondarific's buttercream flavor in black to cover a tier with because, while it is soft, it's not sticky (easy to work with). But it isn't good for decorations and never gets hard enough for figures.

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 9

I use the True Black MMF recipe here on the board! it comes out BLACK but just like reg fondant and tastes like chocolate!!!! YUMMY!!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6971-2-True-Black-MMF.html

but i'd knead in more ps! good luck!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 9

I make chocolate MMF then color it black. It's a lot easier and takes just a little black food coloring to get a black fondant.

I don't care for Satin Ice fondant either. I find that it tears too easily. I've never liked it and it surprises me that so many people use it. I prefer either MMF, Fondarific or Chocopan. Chocopan and Fondarific both tend to get hard in the pail if you don't use them right away, but don't nuke them like the manufacturer recommends! It makes the fondant greasy. Just cut some off and start kneading in your hands. The warmth from your hands will soften it enough to make it pliable but not greasy.

MacsMom Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 9

Mine tends to get sticky when I add cocoa, and some cakes don't go well with chocolate fondant...

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Mine tends to get sticky when I add cocoa, and some cakes don't go well with chocolate fondant...

i never thought of that! lol it's still delic and i guess i've always had cakes that go with it! lol no wierd flavor combos. will keep in mind though for the future!

MacsMom Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby2uesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

i never thought of that! lol it's still delic and i guess i've always had cakes that go with it! lol no wierd flavor combos. will keep in mind though for the future!

Yeah... I recently had a lemon cake with raspberry filling that needed black icon_wink.gif

mammax4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mammax4 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 9

I agree with ruby2uesday, I too use the true black recipe on here and it tastes great and is perfect black!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%