Complete Beginner/novice!! Can U Advise Me Please?

Decorating By lottie26 Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 10:16pm by Davina_Alloway

lottie26 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 3

Hiya All

Im a newbie here and to the whole cake scene lol I was given the link to here as im told this is the best place for info/advice!

Im a stay at home mum so im looking to do something in the time that i get to myself,ive always liked the idea of being able to do cakes for occasions etc(and id love top be able to bake birthday cakes for my kiddies and family )
I can bake a cake but i am a complete novice to anything other that butter icing when it comes to decorating LOL(if i were to be brave enough to post a pic of a cake i had baked i would be totally put to shame compared to the amazing photos i have seen on here!!!)
Iam hoping to sign up to a local 'sugar craft' course that starts next month to better myself.I know practical has to be better than sitting thinking about what i want to do !lol
Sorry for the essay above ..but my question is can anyone recommend anything that i could be practicing in the mean time to help me with the creative side of things??(if that makes any sense)

Thanks in advance for any input/help/advice as it is much appreciated !

2 replies
JanH Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 4:23am
post #2 of 3

Hi and Welcome to CC, lottie26. icon_smile.gif

(You've inadvertently posted to the Global Sugar Arts forum, so that's why you're not getting responses.)

Decoding CC acronyms:

Everything you ever wanted to know to make your first tiered/stacked/layer cake:
(Has recipes for cakes and frosting and SO MUCH MORE.)

To prepare for your decorating class, it's important to use the Wilton class buttercream so that you can learn how stiff, medium and thin icing looks/feels and performs.

When you practice your flower piping, etc. with a different b/c recipe, the instructor won't be able to help you correct your mistakes as easily....

Wilton class b/c recipe:

To stimulate your creative side, just take a gander at the galleries:

Davina_Alloway Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 3

Well I can help - for creative ideas... your best bet is to just view the galleries on here. I get lots of inspiration just looking through the pages. As far as recipes, I'd try a view. If you're unsure about the consistency take a little powdered sugar with you in case it's too thin. If it's too thick... then add water. Another thing to check on is if you have to buy your class book separately. If so, go ahead and buy it now and read over the pages. I know that here where I live, the store that I took my class in included the books with the price of the class. But JoAnn's doesn't and sells them in their stores. I hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%