Buttercream Help!!

Baking By lostbaker Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 5:32am by LadyMike

lostbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostbaker Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:05am
post #1 of 14

I'm looking for a good buttercream recipe that is flexible enough wrt consistency. I hate shortening, so please could someone direct me to an all butter recipe, that isn't too sweet either.
I've just started baking, so the few recipes that I did make were too sweet, or didn't hold up well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

13 replies
mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:37am
post #2 of 14

Ummmm... why not just using butter instead of your shortening in your recipe? Or try SMBC.

marion123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marion123 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:41am
post #3 of 14

Morning,

Go to the Forums menu and under "Cake Decorating", the firts post is a great post about Buttercream. It is called Everything You Wantd to Know About ButterCrem.

Hope that helps.

lostbaker Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:51am
post #4 of 14

Mommyle I have tried substituting, doesn't really work. I was looking for a recipe that was specifically made with butter. And since I'm pretty new to baking, have't really gathered up the courage to make SMBC

carissa123 Thanks for the link. It was quite informative icon_smile.gif

mzsassy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mzsassy Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:48am
post #5 of 14

add salt to your buttercream to cut the sweetness start w 1/4 tsp and keep adding to taste icon_biggrin.gif

marion123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marion123 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 11:31am
post #6 of 14

Mix the salt with water first before you add to your buttercream,, A lesson I learned the hard way!!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:07am
post #7 of 14

What recipe have you been using?

Zapata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zapata Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 9:37am
post #8 of 14

I would like to see if you could give me a good butter creme icing recipe thats not sweet at all just good tasting thank you very much

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:57pm
post #9 of 14

well, mine is a crisco based but people tell me it's not too sweet (something I dont' understand because it's made of SUGAR!) and it's the only icing I've used for over 25 years. Fellow CC'ers who have tried it seem to like it ok. It holds up in super extremely hot heat and humidity. I've never had melt-down. It's crusts great.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

prterrell Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapata

I would like to see if you could give me a good butter creme icing recipe thats not sweet at all just good tasting thank you very much

Not really sure for what you are looking. All buttercreams are made with sugar, so they are all going to be sweet. I personally find the icings made with confectioner's/powdered/icing sugar to be cloyingly sweet and so I stick with the meringue-based buttercreams. I also find that using all or mostly butter and not vegetable shortening gives the icing a richer taste while the icings using all or mostly vegetable shortening seem to taste only of the sweetness of the sugar.

HTH!

lostbaker Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:09am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I am still searching for that one perfect recipe. I've tried quite a few, and I've given up hopes of finding a crusting one, but I'd atleast like one that wasn't so sweet.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:24am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by carissa123

Mix the salt with water first before you add to your buttercream,, A lesson I learned the hard way!!

Have you tried popcorn salt? I'm guessing that you have had a certain grittiness in your buttercream. I don't find that with the popcorn salt. HTH

prterrell Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:56pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I am still searching for that one perfect recipe. I've tried quite a few, and I've given up hopes of finding a crusting one, but I'd atleast like one that wasn't so sweet.

Try a meringue-based buttercream. They are very rich and buttery and not cloyingly sweet like confectioner's/powdered/icing sugar based buttercreams.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

carissa123 wrote:

Have you tried popcorn salt? I'm guessing that you have had a certain grittiness in your buttercream. I don't find that with the popcorn salt. HTH

Pickling salt is the same thing as popcorn salt and is cheaper.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:32am
post #14 of 14

Thanks for the info, prterrell. I'll try that. thumbs_up.gif

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%