Kitchen Incubator - Does This Rent Seem Expensive?

Business By FeGe_Cakes Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 6:39pm by FeGe_Cakes

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 5:08am
post #1 of 10

I found this kitchen incubator in Ft. Worth Texas "Elixer Kitchen" and here are the cost:

Hours
per
Week / Peak / Off Peak
1-5 / $25 / $22
6-15 / $22 / $20
16-30 / $20 / $18
31-40 / $18 / $16
40+ / $15 / $13

That seems outrageous to me. You would have to charge too much for a cake to be able to afford the rent time, insurance, and etc.

What do you think? Is this reasonable?

9 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 5:25am
post #2 of 10

Sadly, those are about average rates from what I've seen.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 5:25am
post #3 of 10

I know I couldn't afford to be in business with those rates. I'm in Seattle and I rent a shared commercial kitchen. Right now I pay $250 a month plus 40.00 for storage space for 40 hours a month. I beleive it's $500 for 80 hours and $900 for unlimited time per month. She also has a conference room that I rent once a month for tastings, $25.00 for 4 hours.

It's kind of a pain in that I have to bring everything with me for tastings...display cake, plates, forks, drinking glasses ect. My storage space is limited too so when I'm baking I have to transport stuff as well but I guess it better than not being licensed. I do cheat a bit and do my sugarpaste stuff at home.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 5:32am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Sadly, those are about average rates from what I've seen.

I was afraid of that. Would love to do it to get into weddings but I don't think I could come close to affording that to do it part time.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 5:43am
post #5 of 10

Keep looking. Check Craig's list. That's where I found this kitchen. She was just opening up when I stumbled on her.

It took me a long time to find something. I've also been asked by a cookie company to rent their kitchen (same price) and she's closer to where I live but her kitchen is very small and she doesn't have a stove top or a large freezer or refrigerator.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:52am
post #6 of 10

Sounds right to me, too. I pay $20 an hour for rent (and it decreases with more hours, like yours). My cake money basically pays for my supplies, phone bill, insurance, and the occasional new shoes icon_wink.gif. I just thank goodness I'm blessed with another (dh's) business that kicks butt in the real bill-paying department!

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:10am
post #7 of 10

Yes that is pretty standard. However the benefit with kitchen incubators is that you get the added benefit of business development help and/or counseling. Their main purpose is to get you in a proper facility and provide you with the business support to get you business to a level to where you don't need them anymore.

The one "closest" (it's not really all that close) to me also has conference room space and a business center with free wi-fi I think. I think there's also one near Houston with the same type of setup.

dance2874 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dance2874 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:45pm
post #8 of 10

I saw that kitchen online too- I am not in business now because I cant be here at home but I would LOVE to so I was researching kitchens. It is a bit far for me but if I had the customers to support using it the concept is fantastic. Too bad a few of us cant pool together our resources and use the kitchen at the same time thus splitting the cost per hour. (or maybe we could?!)

FeGe_Cakes Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:37pm
post #9 of 10

That's a great idea, but I was thinking they had muliple kitchens and might not allow 2 or so bakers using the same time slot and the same kitchen. From what I read, each person had to have insurance, food handler's, and something else before booking time.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

Yes that is pretty standard. However the benefit with kitchen incubators is that you get the added benefit of business development help and/or counseling. Their main purpose is to get you in a proper facility and provide you with the business support to get you business to a level to where you don't need them anymore.

The one "closest" (it's not really all that close) to me also has conference room space and a business center with free wi-fi I think. I think there's also one near Houston with the same type of setup.

I'm sure the facilities are top notch, but I do have a full time job that I do like and like doing cakes part time, and I just couldn't afford using the facilities unless it was a very very large order.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%