Choco-Pan Vs. Fondant

Decorating By baycheeks1 Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 7:07pm by tiggy2

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:59am
post #1 of 16

Ok so what is better choco-pan or fondant? I read that CP covers nearly double of what fondant does...I've never used it before and would just like to know what some of yall think.

I had a tasting today for a wedding cake. The picture that I was given says it is covered in white chocolate which looks like fondant...which I take to be CP. So I would just like to perhaps experiment with CP before I make a cake with it.

Just making sure the price is worth paying to cover the cake. Thanks.

15 replies
auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 5:23am
post #2 of 16

bump I am curious about CP also.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 5:34am
post #3 of 16

I don't know...I just remember that one time they had a cake challenge on Food Network, and the one lady was from the Choco-Pan company and they were having problems with it due to the heat from the lights or something...it kept tearing.

I do know there was a cake lady online who made sort of a "white chocolate plastique" (similar to candy clay but different amounts) and covered her cakes in that. *shrugs* I guess it would work if you are going for a fancy taste.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 16

CP is a fondant, it's a chocolate based fondant. You can roll it much thinner than regular fondant because of the chocolate. I make a semi-homemade choc. fondant that is great and less expensive than CP. I love working with choc. based fondant. CP has more of a choc. ratio than most, that's why the heat of the lights gave those gals problems.

Jen icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 16

Choco Pan is designed to be rolled thinner, and it's the sole reason that I've had a great time diving into fondant cake work recently. One reason I avoided fondant is because a lot of fondant cakes I saw looked like play-doh cakes and I realized it was because the fondant was so thick on the cake. I really hate that look.

But with CP, being able to roll it thinner is awesome!!! The cake doesn't look thick and bulky, like some photos I've seen.

BTW, the woman who invented Choco Pan is right here from Indpls!! Her biz is only minutes from my house. SHe is an awesomely wonderful person!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 16

I haven't tried Choc-pan yet, but really want to. I heard it's delicious!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 16

I ordered CP from the Indy Lady. I enjoyed working with it. It tastes SOOO good! I've done my own kinda semi homemade as well....kinda tastes like a Tootsie Roll.

Beth in KY

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 16

Ok, thanks...I will look into buying some to practice with...I like to make things from scratch, but never made fondant...so how easy is it make...or something close to it I guess that would be the Chocolate Fondant?

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 16

With my semi-homemade, you can just increase the choc. ratio in it to get closer to a CP fondant.

Jen icon_smile.gif

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:37pm
post #10 of 16

It sounds yummy! I think I will be trying it as well!!

Jennifer, would you mind sharing your recipe? I'd love to try making my own... THank you!!!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:04pm
post #11 of 16

Ive had several problems with humitidy with Chocopan. You have to stick the cake in the fridge sometimes just so it doesnt tear. But a big pain in the butt!
Jennifer has a wonderful step by step DVD out on her chocolate fondant. The Tasty And Easy Way To Perfect Fondant. You can see both her DVD's at: www.jenniferdontz.com.
I really suggest ordering it from her. It has her recipe on there as well! icon_smile.gif

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:32pm
post #12 of 16

I'm so glad to see this thread.
Somebody gave me a tub of chocopan-almond color...can I color this like fondant? Can I add tylose to it to make it "dry" more stiff?
Thanks to you all for the answers icon_smile.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:04pm
post #13 of 16

Ive never tried dying it or adding anything to it. But since the product gets so gooey from just the warmth of your hands, you might end up with a mess on your hands! Literally!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:11pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

I'm so glad to see this thread.
Somebody gave me a tub of chocopan-almond color...can I color this like fondant? Can I add tylose to it to make it "dry" more stiff?
Thanks to you all for the answers icon_smile.gif

I colored a batch to use as rocks and it colored fine. I have also mixed fondant with CP and I've made chocolate clay and while it was still pliable mixed IT with fondant. All of these worked for me. It's kinda like mixin' play doh with modeling clay as far as I'm concerned. Only this tastes MUCH better! LOL

GOOD LUCK!

Beth in KY

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 11:09pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks...I'm going to give it a shot!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:07pm
post #16 of 16

I LOVE CP! It's the best tasting I've found. And like indydebi, I like the fact that you can roll it thinner and it doesn't look like play dough on the cake. I color it all the time and it works great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%