Can Anyone Recommend A Good Turntable?

Decorating By ByrdieGirl Updated 11 Jan 2009 , 11:55pm by CakeMakar

ByrdieGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ByrdieGirl Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:11am
post #1 of 7

This Christmas I was given money for some new cake decorating equipment. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good turntable? I have a wood lazy susan right now but it just doesn't cut it. It has a lip around the edge and its hard to clean. Thanks for your help.

Oh, and where would I purchase a clay gun or sugar craft gun?

6 replies
evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:15am
post #2 of 7

I received an Ateco turntable for Christmas. It has a nice, heavy cast iron base and very smooth turning.

It's not cheap - $80 at Williams-Sonoma - but since it was a gift, I guess I got lucky!

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 7

I have the steel Wilton one and despite several not so great reviews on it, I am glad I went ahead and bought it- never let me down. I did buy the tilting once and returned it since I didnt find it stable enough. Good luck.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 7

I LOVE my $7 turntables that I purchased from IKEA. They're smooth, sturdy and large enough to hold even a full sheet cake stable.

edit to add they're made of solid butcher block wood.

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 7

The Ateco cast iron bottom turntable is very good (Wilton's is similar), but the turntable that I've fallen in love with is the one from Fat Daddio's. It spins flawlessly, the top does not detach from the bottom, and it has a no skid base. I haven't touched my other turntables since getting it.

https://www.atecousa.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=612&Category_Code=dstands&Product_Count=1

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=20245

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 7

The Ateco turntable is on my wishlist!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

I LOVE my $7 turntables that I purchased from IKEA. They're smooth, sturdy and large enough to hold even a full sheet cake stable.

edit to add they're made of solid butcher block wood.

Haha! I use that one, too! I have a few "real" turntables, but I always end up grabbing my lazy susan instead! I think its the size it has going for it, and that my other two are plastic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%