Milk & Buttermilk (Not Buttermilk & Milk)

Baking By Ayanami Updated 11 Jan 2009 , 4:20am by Ayanami

Ayanami Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:09am
post #1 of 7

I saw a thread about the opposite of my situation. I have a recipe that calls for buttermilk but I only have milk & don't wanna go to the store (it's late & really friggin cold outside) Can I use milk instead of buttermilk? I am trying to do Meomy's "Basic Chocolate Cake" in the recipe section & I have all of the ingredients except buttermilk.

PS. have you ever noticed that the long you look at a word the more wrong it seems to be? icon_confused.gif "Milk" just looks weird to me right now cause I kep saying it & typing it over & over. icon_razz.gif

6 replies
Ayanami Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:14am
post #2 of 7

bumping to keep myself in view on the home page. I hope someone hurries!

sweet_teeth Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:17am
post #3 of 7

Place a Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup and enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line. Let it stand for about five or so minutes, until you see it curdle. This makes 1 cup of buttermilk

rezzygirl Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:18am
post #4 of 7

You can substitute soured milk for buttermilk in a pinch:

1 cup milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
1 Combine ingredients and let stand 5 minutes.
2 After 5 minutes, mix together well and use as buttermilk in any recipe!

fba322 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:26am
post #5 of 7

I don't know exact measurements, but if I need buttermilk and only have milk, I add a little splash of white vinegar to the milk. Let it sit for a few minutes and it will sour like buttermilk. Then measure out the amount you need. Hope this helps!

KoryAK Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:59am
post #6 of 7

yes to all pps... and if you just use regular milk it won't effect much but the flavor anyway. and not that bad.

Ayanami Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:20am
post #7 of 7

You guys Rock! icon_biggrin.gif I love you! icon_cry.gif Thank you thank you thank you! This I can definately do. CC is awesome because of the Fabulous ladies like you. Homemade buttermilk here I come!

Quote by @%username% on %date%