Stabilising Mousse Filling

Decorating By katielb Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 8:42am by katielb

katielb Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:38am
post #1 of 8

I was hoping to get some advice on the following;

Ive been asked to make a wedding cake for a friend and she has requested a chocolate chip mousse cake (sponge and mousse).

My question is... do i need to stabilise the mousse? Im concerend that as ill be filling and decorating the cake the day before the wedding, the mousse may soften or start to break down by the next day.
I thought of chilling the cake until it is to be delivered but wasnt sure if that would effect the ganache covering or the dry out the sponge.

If i do need to stabilise it, what would i use?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i would hate to ruin her cake.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

7 replies
KoryAK Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:03am
post #2 of 8

if you are using a mousse filling it absolutely HAS to be chilled or it will just slip into a big mess while delivering (if not go bad). What type of recipe are you using? You can add a little pudding powder (instant) to stabilize almost anything.

katielb Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:13am
post #3 of 8

To be honest, i have no idea what recipe im using for the mousse filling - any suggestions?

Will refridgerating the cake ruin the ganache?

stephaniescakenj Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:07am
post #4 of 8

I've made a mousse type filling for a few cakes before by whipping up heavy cream with a little sugar and vanilla and then adding melted (and cooled) semi-sweet and/or milk chocolate. I add in Dream Whip I think it's called, it's a whip cream stabilizer to the heavy cream before I whip it. As long as you keep it chilled it will be fine for 24 hours and I've never had any problems putting ganache in the fridge either.

tcakes65 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:26am
post #5 of 8

To help stabalize mousse, I place it in the freezer for approximately 10 or 15 minutes prior to placing it in the fridge overnight. You definitely must keep it chilled as KoryAK said, or it could potentially be a complete mess. I usually ice the cake with mousse the morning of delivery. That way it decreases the chance of it breaking down.

Chef_Stef Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:53am
post #6 of 8

I use a whipped cream stabilizer (powder) that I found at a cake decorating store locally, add it to the cream before I whip it, and it seems to help, but my mousses are pretty stable even without it, and I've never had a problem with them. Wish I knew what the powder was called, but I long since put it in a different container.

I fill mousse cakes the day before, keep them in the fridge until the very second I deliver, and keep the car as cold as I can stand it.

alliebear Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:12am
post #7 of 8

i could add some gelatine to it

katielb Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:42am
post #8 of 8

Thanks ladies!! You have certainly helped me out icon_biggrin.gif

Im going to make a trial cake so ill see how that holds up with some cream stabilizer

Thanks again icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%