Looking For Sturdy Angel Food Cake Recipe

Decorating By irishteabear Updated 11 Jan 2009 , 7:02pm by irishteabear

irishteabear Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:03am
post #1 of 6

My son doesn't like any cake but Angel aood. That's the kind he wants for his birthday coming up soon, but he also wants it decorated as R2D2. Help! I've got R2D2 figured out, just not the angel food part.

I am planning on using a sheet cake pan or the wilton shaped pan to make it easier to do. If I do a regular angel food cake mix in the shaped pan will it hold the weight of the frosting and or fondant? If not, is there some way to make the angel food cake mix sturdier without changing the taste or texture too much?

5 replies
smbegg Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:33am
post #2 of 6

Angel food cake will not hold up. Especially under fondant. I would make the cake with regular cake and make a side cake of Angel Food for him to actually eat.

irishteabear Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 5:35am
post #3 of 6

I was trying to avoid that. Due to various reasons, there will be a total of 6 people at his birthday so I wanted to make him a small cake that he would actually eat.

Frankyola Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:25am
post #4 of 6

I have a really good recipe but it will not hold the fondant, Angel food cake it is so light, What I did for my untie's B-Day was an Angel Food cake (a sheet) and then just put light coat of butter cream on it and I put dowels (1 on each corner and 5 in the middle and the I place a cardboard over the cake and brushed with Piping Gel and then I put the fondant over. The dowels help to hold the cardboard with the fondant on it.

I hope it makes sense if you have ??? just PM me. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 6

I dont' think "sturdy" and "angel food" should be used in the same sentence. icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

irishteabear Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 6

What about if I did a FBCT of R2D2? Would the cake hold the weight?

Thanks for the suggestion, Frankyola, it does make sense. I might wind up doing that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%