Should I Change My Business Name???!?!

Business By icingonthecupcake Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 2:32pm by FromScratch

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:05pm
post #31 of 45

Clearly I am in the minority here, but I don't really like Brown Sugar Cupcakery. It sounds kind of bland IMO.
I actually like Chica Chocolatina, but I do think that it conjures images of a chocolatier and not a bakery. BUT, I think it's snappy and that people would remember it. Plus, it's fun to say. icon_biggrin.gif

I really like Doug's suggestion: "Tres Chica Cupcakery" It's a little bit French and a little bit Spanish, but all delish! thumbs_up.gif

Good luck!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:21pm
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launa

I have to agree with Jamie - both names sound busy....as I was reading all the replies, one name came to my mind....Brown Sugar Cupcake....just an idea....seems to flow a little better than cupcakery.

Yes...Brown. Sugar. Cupcake. Less syllables, rolls off the tongue better!

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:35pm
post #33 of 45

I'm a Spanish speaker and I don't really find the name Chica Chocolatina very attractive for a bakery. I like the Brown Sugar name better.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:46pm
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

I'm going to be perfectly blunt... I don't like Chica Chocolatina at all. I can't even say it properly without thinking about it twice. It's cute with the background story, but as a consumer, I would never remember the name and in my opinion your brand is very important. If other people can't remember your name, how will they recommend you to their friends and such? Brown Sugar Cupcakery is probably one of the cutest names I've ever heard and the fact that your last name is actually Brown makes even more darling.

What she said ^

paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:50pm
post #35 of 45

This may be a dumb question, but are you latina? If not, that may be confusing too. People might be caught off guard when they see you. I now we shouldn't succumb to stereo-types, but do.

Also, being in Texas, I think Tex Mex when I hear that. The truely authenic mexican food stores and resturants all have authenic names.

I would go with your first name. Always go with your gut!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 10:00pm
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

chica chocolatina immediately makes me think of a chocolate latin chick...

I agree with this..sounds too latin...And I am a latin chick..Not the best choice.. I dont love the other one eiter. I find it too long and complicated. I think easy and simple is better..
Edna thumbs_up.gif

scrapperjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapperjade Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 11:03pm
post #37 of 45

I don't agree with whoever said to change it to Brown Sugar Cupcake. Now THAT'S boring! Sounds like all you do is make a brown sugar cupcake (blah... gimme chocolate!!). Personally I like the word Cupcakery! Or Cakery.

icingonthecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingonthecupcake Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:03am
post #38 of 45

I really didn't think that I would get this many responses from this post but this has been very helpful. I am reading a lot of the responses and although some may not like Chica Chocolatina it seems that they don't like the name because it seems to Latin or reminds them of tex-mex. It seems like many of you have never read the book "Chocolatina" which is about a little girl who looovesss chocolate so much that one day she turns into a Huge chocolate bar! Her name btw happened to be Tina and because of her love for Chocolate her parents called her Chocolatina. It actually had nothing to do with ethinicity in the book, I thought it was cute for me because I too love Chocolate and Espanol!.

A lot of people have said that they didn't like my names because they said it was too complicated or busy but to me there are already too many. Cakes by Lisa, Cakes by Joan ....Cake House, Heavenly Cakes..etc,etc. ( no offense if these are anyones names)

I believe that this is your opportunity to set your business out from others not just be another cake lady or cake man. I think that you need something that sets you apart from all the other cake makers and I think a interesting name will help you do that more than just another boring cake name.

With that said I think that I have made my decision and have decided that I will in fact change the name to Chica Chocolatina. I really like it, for me it's different and that's what I am looking for. Thank you TxCupcake and everyone else for helping me come to my final decision no matter good or bad each reply helped me in the end.

Jasmine icon_smile.gif ( Chica Chocolatina Bakeshop)!

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:28am
post #39 of 45

I like the name, its unique and as long as you like it and are happy with it, it really doesn't matter what others think. I'm glad you decided to go with the new name, despite what some others may have said about it icon_smile.gif good luck with your business!

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:35pm
post #40 of 45

Yup! Adding "Bakeshop" at the end seals the deal!
You go chica! thumbs_up.gif

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:08pm
post #41 of 45

Well, you asked us what we all thought, and the CC family rose to the challenge again as with other posts!! That's what I love about this place, all sorts of ideas and help!

Glad you were able to come to a decision for your name!

God bless!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:14pm
post #42 of 45

I much prefer it with the Bakeshop added.. it ties it together. I think the ethnicity ties came more from you stating you loved all things Spanish.. and you have to admit when you already have the Spanich in your head.. Chocolatina conjures up images of a sexy mamacita with a bowl of chocolate.

I still can't see myself saying "I'm going to grab something from Chica Chocolatina Bakeshop." but hey.. if it makes you happy I guess that's the most important thing. icon_smile.gif

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:22pm
post #43 of 45

my vote brown sugar cupcakery.. I love the name It makes you want
sweets.. icon_biggrin.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:29pm
post #44 of 45

the customers seem to end up cutting the end of your name...and kinda giving you a nickname anyway, at least they did to me. ha ha ha...

they'll prolly say..."we're going down to chica's"....or something like that.

they call me littlecake....since i'm in oklahoma...i guess that's my indian name.

glad you're going with your heart.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:32pm
post #45 of 45

I was comign back to say I really like Chica's Bakeshop.. that flows. But going with your heart will make you happy, and ultimately it's your call. Go with what brings you joy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%