Suggestions For Doctoring Brownie Mix

Decorating By vickster Updated 11 Jan 2009 , 1:31am by sayhellojana

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 6

I bought a bulk bag of brownie mix from my bakery supply. I've made it twice, carefully by the instructions. It comes out very chewy. I would like for it to be a little more of a cake texture. Any suggestions? It is a totally self contained mix--you just add water. (specifically 120 degree water).
I definitely won't buy it again, but it was a 50 lb bag, so I may as well do some experimenting!

5 replies
sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 12:02am
post #2 of 6

If I recall correctly, you add more eggs for a cake-like texture, less eggs for a chewy fudgy dense texture. Try adding a couple of beaten eggs to your next batch. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 1:07am
post #3 of 6

Yah, what she^^^^^^ saidicon_smile.gif

Try adding different flavorings to change it up some. Nuts, etc too. That won't change the texture but will help change the flavor some.
Sour cream or yogurt might be fun to try too.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 1:22am
post #4 of 6

Heath bits are good, as are chocolate chips... Try putting a little brownie mix in a pan, then layering peppermint patties on top, then topping the whole thing with more brownie, and bake as usual...

I've also got chocolate chip cookie dough topping, peanut butter brownies, cream cheese filled... Did I mention I *LOVE* brownies?!? icon_biggrin.gif

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 1:24am
post #5 of 6

I'd add an extra egg or two, some chopped pecans and half a cup of milk choc chips.

Another version adds chopped caramels to the above add ins.

Now I need to go put brownies in the oven for ME!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 1:31am
post #6 of 6

I'd probably add a little bit of baking powder to try to fluff them up a bit. try 1/2 teaspoon and an egg? Also, you can use that brownie mix for all kinds of cookie bars, pie crusts, treats, etc. Checkout website's like kraft because they show you how to use their mixes like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%