Ebay

Decorating By cylstrial Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 3:30am by janabel

cylstrial Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 13

I'm so bummed! I was winning an Ebay auction of tons of Wilton yearbooks (1973 to 2009). I had put in a higher amount so that it would automatically bid for me. But it ran out and then when I was trying to increase the bid..it was only increasing it by $1.00 at a time. Needless to say, I lost it at the very last second. That opportunity doesn't come up very often.. and I just wasn't fast enough on the computer! Anyway.. I'm bummed!

12 replies
ceshell Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 7:33am
post #2 of 13

Sorry to hear about it. As they say...you have to really put in the absolute max you're willing to pay...which I hate to do because I always feel like SOMEONE will bid up to my max if I bid ahead of time...but if I try to do it near the end of the auction, yup a computer snafu is a big risk

Anyway think of it this way...I'll bet the winning bid was not the max that person would have paid; even if you could have gotten your bid higher they might still have continued to outbid you by way more $$$ than you thought the books were worth. That's what I like to think anyway, when I lose. I think: "OK it went for $30 but if I'd kept up the bidding war the thing would have gotten to like $80 or something anyway."

Maybe you'll stumble across a few auctions for smaller lots of books until you can get the whole collection. thumbs_up.gif

JenniferMI Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 13

Bummer...... icon_sad.gif

Jen

GeminiRJ Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 13

Don't give up! I had been trying to buy a particular Yearbook, and kept getting out-bid at the last second. I must've lost out three or four times. But finally I got the Yearbook I wanted, and it was cheaper than any of the previous times I'd bid. Go figure.

chilz822 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:04am
post #5 of 13

Unfortunately there are automatic programs that people setup to go in and 'snipe' merchandise at the last possible second. It's darned near impossible to win when they're running... I've been sniped many times myself

ceshell Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 8:55am
post #6 of 13

You can set up a program to do that? icon_mad.gif

MaloSlatko Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 10:31am
post #7 of 13

Yes. It is called Bidnapper

Bijoudelanuit Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 11:26am
post #8 of 13

I'm sorry you didn't win the books.... it's so disappointing when you lose an item you really were excited about icon_sad.gif I'm sure you'll find them listed again, do you have the search saved and set to email you?

I had no idea there was a program for that! It's amazing what people think of /create.

Bijoudelanuit Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 11:30am
post #9 of 13

There is a lot of 11 books up for bid now:    Item number: 170295436204

MissBaritone Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:22pm
post #10 of 13

I use a very good aution snipe site. In 2 years I have only lost 1 item. You get 5 snipes free then you pay a very small fee for every snipe put in after that. However you do get a free snipe for every person you introduce the uses the site so if anyone wants to send me a pm with your email address in I will get you a introduction sent out from the site

chilz822 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:03pm
post #11 of 13

It's a great thing and a bad thing at the same time... depending if you're the sniper or the snipee! I used to sell quite a bit on eBay and saw it happen to many people. You used to be able to find the program free on places like download .com but I'm not sure if they're available anymore.

icon_lol.gif

cylstrial Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 9:00pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks for all of your responses! For some reason, I never got an email telling me that anyone had posted. That's really weird. Anyway.. thanks I'll keep looking on there!

janabel Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 3:30am
post #13 of 13

Also auctionsniper.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%