Ready To Decorate Icings

Decorating By neecerator Updated 16 Jan 2009 , 4:23am by neecerator

neecerator Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 7

I need to know more about "Ready to Decorate" Icings. Do the colors run? Especially the red, it looks so intense and almost runny. I don't want it to ruin my nice prep'd cake! What is your experience with these canned icings?

6 replies
Monkess Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:33am
post #2 of 7

Are you referring to the Wiltons ready to decorate?
I use them occassionally esp. the black and red. Both have never run and look very bright and sharp. It is difficult to use the tubes that come prefilled since you have ot push really hard and its quite tiresome; other than that the colors themselves are excellent.

mbt4955 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 7

I agree with Monkess about the Wilton tubes. I generally use readymade icing for my red and black, but I think I will start cutting the bottom off the tube and squeezing it into a decorating bag. I should have a lot less waste and it will definitely be easier on my carpal tunnel!

neecerator Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkess

I use them occassionally esp. the black and red. Both have never run and look very bright and sharp. It is difficult to use the tubes that come prefilled since you have ot push really hard and its quite tiresome; other than that the colors themselves are excellent.

Hi There: Yes, I bought the canned spray kind, and I was worried about the red one running, but it didn't. I also bought the tube-type of Wilton also, and what I do with both of them is squeeze them into my own pastry bags with my own tips instead of using their container. It's a lot more comfortable to work with. Thanks for your reply!

Monkess Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:11am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkess

Hi There: Yes, I bought the canned spray kind, and I was worried about the red one running, but it didn't. I also bought the tube-type of Wilton also, and what I do with both of them is squeeze them into my own pastry bags with my own tips instead of using their container. It's a lot more comfortable to work with. Thanks for your reply!

The canned spray one - that one is different from the tube I was referring to. The tune tastes fine, but I have the pink and yellow sprays and they are horribly bitter. Try a lick and you will know!

sugarwishes Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:18am
post #6 of 7

I used the black spray can once and I will never use it again. Maybe others have had better luck, but it came out very runny , uneven and ruined my cake. (the pink and black "robyn" cake in my pics) maybe i sprayed too close but I tried it farther away and still no luck.

I like to buy the large tub of ready to decorate wilton icing. its a medium consistency, takes color well and is really great to use for decorations especially when you don't have time to make icing yourself.

neecerator Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:23am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar wishes

I used the black spray can once and I will never use it again. Maybe others have had better luck, but it came out very runny , uneven and ruined my cake. (the pink and black "robyn" cake in my pics) maybe i sprayed too close but I tried it farther away and still no luck.

I like to buy the large tub of ready to decorate wilton icing. its a medium consistency, takes color well and is really great to use for decorations especially when you don't have time to make icing yourself.

I haven't bought any spray colors yet, just the can of Wilton Ready to Decorate can that you spray out with one of the provided 4 tips that are in the cap when you purchase it. I also bought the tube, and I like your idea of cutting the bottom off. It says not to refrigerate it (leftovers).

I have purchased two tubs of Wilton Icing (4 lbs.) and I think I like it. Especially with Michaels and JoAnn's coupons, it saves $5.60! It's good to know that it takes color well. What about almond extract, have you tried it? Do you know how to get rid of the air in the Wilton icing? Is it better to beat it for a while before using it? Thanks for your replies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%