Giving Blood

Lounge By GeminiRJ Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 11:39pm by -Tubbs

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 15

I just finished donating blood at the Red Cross, and am so excited at how well it went! It's only the second time I've donated, and the first time did not go well. They said it would be better the second time, and they were right! In and out without a problem...no dizziness, no nausea. I absolutely hate needles, but feel it is important for me to do this. My dad has leukemia, and receives blood transfusions on an almost weekly basis. Without other people stepping up and donating, he would be dead right now. If anyone out there is thinking about donating, I would encourage you to do so. Needle phobia and all, I'll be donating again as soon as I can.

14 replies
Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 15

I was always an advocate of donating blood, but always have had problems with them getting the blood out. The last time I tried the head of the center told me to stop donating blood. My veins are so small and hard to get that I need to "save" them for me, i.e., when I need blood work for myself, etc. She said the more I puncture my veins the worse it will get so no more donating for me.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:02am
post #3 of 15

good for you .. I remember my dad always donating blood and my sister used to work the blood mobile for the red cross ... I am so bad with needles that usually at the doctors when I have my blood drawn I pass out ... and there is usually smelling salt involved .... I wish it wasn't like that, but I really can't get over the fear of the needle ... and before in the past when I have been over stressed over something I have had small seizures .. so its best not to push my luck!

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:07am
post #4 of 15

Congrats on it going so well! I tried to donate several times but they could never get enough blood from me either! It's a good thing I don't mind needles. Unfortunately I lived overseas so I can't donate anymore, but it is so important that people do when they can!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:19am
post #5 of 15

I've been a slacker for the last couple of years, but I'm also a big advocate of donating.

I'm also O-Neg .... the most valuable blood. Any person, with any blood type, can receive O-Neg ... which makes me very valuable as a donor. But O-Neg people can only receive O-neg blood ... which makes me very much at-risk as a person who may need to receive blood someday.

Thanks for this thread .... I got an email from my local chamber a couple of days ago that the mobile blood unit will be in our area in a few weeks. This is the motivation I needed to get back on this!! thumbs_up.gif

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:35am
post #6 of 15

Nice thought...and as debi said just the motivation we need!

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:39am
post #7 of 15

In addition, I'd like to encourage people to consider registering with the bone marrow registry, especially people of mixed race. I remember my sister mentioned once that if her kids ever needed bone marrow (she was dealing with cancer at the time), they'd have a hard time finding a match as she is white and her first husband was Mexican and her second husband is Chinese, and being mixed race would make it much more difficult to find a match. That comment has been weighing heavily on my mind since her son was recently diagnosed with leukemia....

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 1:48pm
post #8 of 15

I also donate. I am lucky that needles don't bother me. I actually have the opposite problem that Luby has... mine comes out really fast. It makes them nervous that I won't stop bleeding when we're done, but I always do and do so quickly.
Just one of those little ways I can help others.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 15

I donate regularly. (My next appointment is January 20th.) In fact, I received a surprise in the mail a couple weeks ago. The American Red Cross sent me a small pin with a "2" on it. Apparently I have donated 2 gallons of blood. I had no idea they kept track of that sort of thing! I do wear the pin, NOT for "bragging" purposes, but in hopes that it will inspire someone (or even remind someone) about it. It's such a simple way to help someone in need. It's quick and doesn't cost a dime. Plus, I always find myself thinking of those who are seriously ill or badly injured and in need of blood ~ and my HOPE that it would be available for them. That's what got me over my fear of needles, too, by the way.

Another program done through the Red Cross that's really awesome is donating platelets (apheresis)... If anyone's interested, it's on their web site.

Thank you for posting this topic! Great way to get the word out there! icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:51pm
post #10 of 15

It's upsetting to me that my dad is so far away, and there isn't a whole lot I can do to make this time easier for him and my mom. Donating blood gives me something constructive to do, and helps me to find a positive in all this. They say that one donation can benefit three people. It's comforting to know that information.

And TCarra....TWO GALLONS! Yowza!

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:01pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks for the thread its is a great reminder. I donated once back in the summer and while I want to do it again I am terrified.

I too had a bad first experience. I almost passed out. I was soaked in sweat. Then for two days I was dizzy.

Glad to hear that your second donation went better than your first. This is just the push I need.

Thanks!!!

GeminiRJ Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:08pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkinpie

Thanks for the thread its is a great reminder. I donated once back in the summer and while I want to do it again I am terrified.

I too had a bad first experience. I almost passed out. I was soaked in sweat. Then for two days I was dizzy.

Glad to hear that your second donation went better than your first. This is just the push I need.

Thanks!!!

I told them right away that my first experience hadn't gone well. (Think way-y-y too long on a "Tilt A Whirl"). I ate a substantial breakfast before going in, and was sure to drink lots of fluids. They gave me some Coke to sip on before they started, I was told to NOT close my eyes but to focus on something in the room, and to not cross my legs. The whole process was shorter, and with none of the dizziness and nausea. Much, much better!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:36pm
post #13 of 15

I've donated several gallons now but I can't remember how many. I've also donated platelets once also. If you've had problems, just make sure you eat something substantial before within a few hours before your give and DON'T give if you are coming off of a cold or don't feel well. I've done that and got sicker than I had been before and I thought I was over it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:47pm
post #14 of 15

And don't donate if you're on your period! icon_redface.gif I can't BEGIN to tell how you many days that wiped me out before I recovered! Talk about being a zombie!! If there's an award for Dumbest-Blood-Donor-Move-of-all-Time, I think I win!! icon_redface.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:39pm
post #15 of 15

Glad it went better for you this time. It's such a worthwhile thing to do, and it does make you feel like you're helping others. I recall asking a nurse once how soon my blood would be used and was astonished when she told me that it would be needed almost immediately.

Unfortunately once I moved to Canada, my blood was no good any more - I think the Canadian Blood Service think we (British people) all have mad cow disease - my services are no longer required. thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%