Need Suggestions On Which Digital Camera To Purchase

Lounge By butternut Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 4:36am by Monkess

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 15

Ok, so it's time for a new digital camera and with so many on the market, it's hard to decide which is the best. I was wondering if any of you have purchased one lately and if so what ya bought and how ya like it. I'd love to know what Consumer Reports say is the best rated and have sent in a subscription but haven't received my books yet. Any suggestions would surely be appreciated. I'm looking for at least a 10 mp and 2 1/2 inch screen. Thanks so much everyone.
Margie

14 replies
krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 15

I have a Kodak Easy Share v530. I love it. It's super easy to use. But I would not recommend it for professional use.
I also have a Canon Power Shot A1000. It has 10mp & 4x OZ w/ large screen. It is not as easy to use. Don't care for it as much. but there's nothing bad about it.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 15

I have a Canon Powershot. If you go to cnet.com, they have tons of camera reviews. HTH!

butternut Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks so much guys. I really appreciate your help. I did go online to cnet and that was very helpful. At this point I think I'm leaning toward the Canon Powershot G10 or the Canon EOS Rebel XS SLR. Hmmmm, Decisions, Decisions.......No matter which one I go with, I know I'm gonna second guess myself icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks again for your help.....

ResaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ResaB Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 15

another really good site for digital camera reviews is http://dpreview.com/

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:09am
post #6 of 15

The canon rebel is really good and very versatile. I bought a Nikon d40x which I love but I'm having trouble with finding compatible telescoping lenses, without paying a fortune. I love my Nikon but suggest not the D40 series.

ResaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ResaB Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:32am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaat

The canon rebel is really good and very versatile. I bought a Nikon d40x which I love but I'm having trouble with finding compatible telescoping lenses, without paying a fortune. I love my Nikon but suggest not the D40 series.

I have the Nikon D40, and I use some of my lenses from my Nikon N80 film camera. I have to manually focus them, but I don't mind. I learned photography on my dad's Nikon F camera that he bought in 1966, and I also use to use my husband's Canon AE1 film camera both of which were made before auto focus was invented. If you want a telephoto lens that does not cost an arm and leg and you do not mind having to focus the lens yourself you can buy a lens with out the focus motor in it.

This is my favorite lens that I use 99% of the time. It is compatible but you have to manually focus it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/550953-REG/Tamron_AF017NII_700_70_300mm_f_4_5_6_Di_LD.html

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 9:31am
post #8 of 15

This is just the topic I needed to address my camera phobia!!! I am completely camera stupid! I want a digital camera...I went and bought a 65.00 job because I didn't want to drop a whole lotta money on something I knew nothing about...well...I still don't know anything about it cause the darned thing wasn't worth a nickel...I couldn't even get a nite time shot!!! I need something super easy to use...that just gives me some good pictures day or nite...mostly of cakes and grandkids, and I want to be able to get them on my computer. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...Linda

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 15

Working with cameras for a few years now, you want to look at cannon, nikon, or sony. They are the best cameras out on the market today. Depending on what you going to be doing with the camera, weather it's just going to be cake pics, or family pics, or if your wanting to do a more professional pic, depends on what kind of mega pixel you want to look for. Some cameras are coming out with a 8 mega pixel camera, that is awesome for a more professional look.

If your looking around on the net...do go to cnet.com the site is great for really breaking it down for you

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:48pm
post #10 of 15

I love my Kodak z740. It takes surprisingly great pics and I am NOT a fan of Kodak normally. I had a V-series easyshare and it SUCKED! I found the Kodak z740 and stole it from my mom once I saw how great it was. The click-to-capture speed is fast, which is great for capturing my kids doing cute things. It is a discontinued model though, but I've seen them on eBay pretty cheap. My friend who is starting her photography business, and is saving up for the Canon Rebel, uses a Kodak z612 and her pics are amazing! That model is also discontinued, but I saw it on eBay for $99, with free shipping, last week.

butternut Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:05pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks so much everyone for your help. I just checked out Costco online and they have the Canon EOS digital Rebel XS with a bonus of an additional Lens which is a EF 75-300mm as well as a bonus of a 2GB 150x SD Card all for the same price that other stores are selling just the camera for. The bonus lens itself sells for 299.00 and the card for around 30.00. Costco is selling the entire package for 549.00. Unfortunately, it's only through this Saturday icon_surprised.gif Sooo, how to save up 549.00 in less than a week.......

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:24am
post #12 of 15

Nikon D80!

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:46pm
post #13 of 15

Check out this website for photography help.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/photography/

Its the Pioneer Woman website. Name is Ree. She takes awesome photographs. She set up a photography how to and information link some time ago.
Her whole website is terrific. Photo's, recipes, her kids, her family, her brother Mike that the whole world now loves, and, best of all her famous ongoing story of her life after meeting her hubby to be.

Its called Black Heels to Tractor Wheels.

You'll love it!

fidos_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fidos_mom Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:31pm
post #14 of 15

A little known website for quality named electronics (cameras included) is www.newegg.com. Before we were ordering in bulk straight from the manufacturer, our company purchased there for re-sale. (If my boss asks, I was never here.) icon_wink.gif They will sell to anyone and have GREAT prices. But always shop around.

Good luck!! thumbs_up.gif

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:36am
post #15 of 15

Nikon D70 or 80 if budget is not an issue. I have a nice Fuji that I got for $250..it is a great gadget at that price!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%