Cream Cheese Frosting Storage ? ? ?

Decorating By lizamlin Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 2:13pm by ddaigle

lizamlin Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 5

I worked sooo hard on a yummy carrot cake w cream cheese frosting yesterday - but I left it on the counter overnight -- can we still eat it?

I saw something once about the ratio of sugar to dairy making it safe or unsafe; does anyone know for sure?

8 oz cream cheese
2 T butter
2 C powdered sugar

icon_cry.gif

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 5

I'd be very tempted to go ahead & eat it but ........ it's very 'ify'.
Sugar is a preservative but.......it's all butter & cr ch. Not sure if it would be ok.
You indicate it is for family...why not taste a small spoonfull of the icing and see.

mbt4955 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 5

I rarely have refrigerator space for cakes, so most of mine stay out on the counter overnight. I almost always do my cakes the day/night before and I have never had a problem with carrot cake or cream cheese icing.

terrig007 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 5

I'm not sure if this will help but once I was watching "The Barefoot Contessa" and she said she leaves her cream cheese bricks out overnight to soften them for some frosting she was making for a carrot cake. I lhave done it as well and I've not had any problems. HTH

ddaigle Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 5

Walmart has cakes displayed not on the cold section for who knows for how many days. Some are only in cardbard or plastic containers. Don't think because of their volume, they are using the highest grade ingredients.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%