Headlights On A Car

Decorating By kse Updated 11 Jan 2009 , 1:59pm by kse

kse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kse Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 9

Any thoughts on how to make headlights and windshields for a car? I tried gelatin but it didn't stick and kept sliding. Has anyone used gelatin for anything before? Thanks for the information.

8 replies
Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 9

how about some candy for the headlights? Is this a 3d car?

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 9

piping gel? IDK! LOL!
It would be so cool if you could use a light kit to make the headlights work! (Chanelling my inner Duff)
Sorry I was no help

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 9

Do you have some fondant handy? For the lights you could brush it with glitter dust.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 9

My first thought was what Monkess said. Melt some type of clear hard candy. Not sure how you would get the right shape for the windshield though. You might have to somehow form your own sort of mold, especially if you want that nice curve.

Piping gell would give you that nice clear look and the gloss, but I don't know how easy it is to get that stuff smooth.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 9

Well, I've used yellow fondant for headlights. And a really light grey for windows. hth

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 9

Just thinking about fruit snacks. They're kind of translucent. Are there any that are a really light color, like apple? Maybe something like that.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 9

I just posted this link in another post...again, never tried it, but the person that posted this recipe says she uses it for making fondant shiny. She mentioned for car windshields specifically. Use fondant to make the headlights and windshields and then paint this "varnish" over it. Might be worth a try!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7292-0-Edible-Varnish.html

kse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kse Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. You are wonderful. Will try them all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%