Defrosting Cakes Questions

Decorating By kayla1505 Updated 15 Jan 2009 , 9:57am by kayla1505

kayla1505 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 9:36am
post #1 of 8

ok so this week I took the plunge and froze my cakes for the 1st time. I kept hearing how it made such a moist cake. I cant tell you how scared I am that i didnt do it right.

anyway I plan to frost and cover them in fondant 2day.

How long before I plan to level and and tort them do i need to take them out of the freezer?

Do I leave them wraped in the plastic and the foil?

Do I let it defrost in the frig or outside on the counter?

by the way they have been frozen for about 5 days, i dont know if that makes a differance.

its a 6" and 9" circle and a 7"in oval

7 replies
bashini Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:05am
post #2 of 8

Hi, You can straight away put it in the counter to thaw, with wrapping. I normaly would take it out of the freezer the night before and put it in the fridge.

Chiara Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:13am
post #3 of 8

It does not matter how long you have frozen the cake. One day two etc. I am not talking 6 months here.
You must remember to thaw it in the fridge. If not and you ice it prematurely the icing will sweat and you do not want a wet cake. Make sure to thaw it in the fridge to acclimate it to room temp eventually.
Frozen cakes are not a problem. They are easy to cut and carve that way as well as easy to get a smooth crumb coat depending upon what application you are doing. Good Luck

kayla1505 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:36am
post #4 of 8

thank you guys

its 5:30 am , I moved the cakes to the fridge. I wont actualy start working on them for another 5- 6 hours.

another question, since I moved them to the fridge, when I'm ready to work on them do I let it come to room temp on the counter or just start hacking away?

kakeladi Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:11pm
post #5 of 8

I prefer to let mine come to room temp before working on them. But I guess it really doesn't matter. 5 hrs should be enough time but you might want to take it out about an hr before you want to start working on it. It does depend on the size of the cakes as to how long it takes to defrost.
When I had my shop there were (just a few!) times I would take cake out of the fzr and MW it to defrost when I got a last second ordericon_smile.gif I don't recommend that but it worked for me.

kayla1505 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 10:31am
post #6 of 8

ok so i think everything went sucessful, i wasnt used to the texture but i gotta say it was really moist. thank you guys for the help

indydebi Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 8

As you probably found out, un-iced cakes don't take long to thaw. I start pulling mine out of the freezer about an hour before I plan to work on them. I just throw 'em on the counter, still wrapped, and they are fine.

kayla1505 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:57am
post #8 of 8

it was a sucess and really yummy. i didnt use any simple syrup it was so moist

Quote by @%username% on %date%