Stand Up Transformer Help

Decorating By Jefita Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 9:20pm by Jefita

Jefita Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 7:40am
post #1 of 5

I found a picture online of a stand up transformer cake that i would really like to duplicate for my fiance's birthday. I couldn't find a link to the person who made the cake or an email address, or any real advice on how to make this sculptured cake stand. I have heard that dowel rods work best and straws, but i'm concerned that my cake will sink and cave. What do you think is the best support throughout the body of the cake?

4 replies
karateka Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 5

It would help greatly to advise you if we could see the cake. Got a link to the picture?

Jefita Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 5

Oh sorry didn't think about that.

I went to french confection's website but couldn't access any of their features... I think I'm going to run PVC pipe down his legs and use RKT for his arms.

karateka Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 5

I believe that pvc pipe down his legs is a good idea. You could attatch a board to the top to support the silver and red middle sections, and use strong dowels that are attatched to the board as support.

RKT are a good idea for the arms, or you could just cover thin cardboard boxes with fondant or gumpaste. Not knowing how big he's going to be when he's finished, you might consider whether solik RKT would be too heavy for the arms.

I think you are going to need a pvc pipe or thick dowel down the center of the body so you can put a strong cross support to hold those arms on.

You will need to be a good engineer to pull this off. Can't wait to see the pictures! thumbs_up.gif

Jefita Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much! Starting it today hope to show off later!

Quote by @%username% on %date%