Doctored Cake Mixes?

Baking By sunkiss456 Updated 31 Dec 2013 , 10:34pm by lutie

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 8:29pm
post #91 of 181

great thread, can't wait to read it all... I too add pudding to some, sour cream to some, more extract to some, hersheys syrup to some... the list goes on and on!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 8:32pm
post #92 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCmomof3boys

MacsMom, .. Did you use WASC for your Avatar cake?

Yes, it's the only recipe I use. If I am doing a topsy I omit adding a pkg of pudding. If it needs more detailed carving, I add 8 oz melted chocolate--it makes it more dense while retaining moisture.

MacsMom Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 8:36pm
post #93 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetkisscakes

which type of loranns do you use?

I noticed on their website that they have many different kinds, such as for candy, chocolate, or ice cream. not sure which type to use.

The flavored oils, designed for candy. You will mostly find them for sale in tiny little drams (1 teaspoon) for about $1 to $1.50 each. You can buy bigger bottles at
https://www.lorannoils.com/c-6-super-strength-flavors-candy-oils.aspx

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 10:17pm
post #94 of 181

I am doing a "tiki" cake for a luau this Thursday. I already purchased the red velvet DH mixes, but I want to do the WASC w/o the almond. Do I need to add any type of cocoa so that the flavor of the RV is not diluted? Should I double the vanilla because I omitted the almond? I am making the cakes tonight, so any help is appreciated. Sorry for the newbie quetions... icon_redface.gif

MacsMom Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 10:39pm
post #95 of 181

Well, here is a DH RV mix flavor booster that I found here on CC: add a 4oz box of instant chocolate pudding, 3 tablespoons of light corn syrup (Karo), and 1 tsp butter extract.

But if you want to try too turn DH RV into a WASC version, I would add 2 T cocoa powder, a box of chocolate pudding, and maybe extra red food coloring. Using all vanilla would be fine. For more of a flavor boost use vanilla coffee creamer in place of half of the water.

(I usually make WASC RV by combining white and chocolate cake mixes and adding a ton of red food color. I'm not a fan of DH mixes).

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:19am
post #96 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLev557

This is the doctored cake mix recipe I use.. I got it from the wilton site from someone called Cassandracakes. I love the recipe and so does everyone I make it for. I always make half a batch without a problem.

This cake recipe is the maximum quantity for your 5 quart mixing bowl. It mixed up perfect in my Kitchen Aid Accolade. It yielded 15 1/2 cups cake batter.

2 Duncan Hines Butter Recipe cake mixes (I guess you could use any flavor)
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
4 Sticks Butter (I used half butter, half margarine)
2 2/3 cups water
6 eggs
1 box French Vanilla Pudding Mix (instant)
2 tsp Baking Powder

Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, mix until blended. Add cake mix, pudding, flour and baking powder. Blend on low while drizzling in water in a thin stream. Mix until smooth (doesn't take long), and bake according to directions for your pan size. I had to share this because it turned our so good. I hope someone else enjoys!!

DELICIOUS LARGE QUANTITY CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX

2 Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mixes
1 Box Chocolate Fudge Pudding
2 Cups Flour
6 Eggs
2 tsp. Baking Powder
2 Sticks Butter or Marg.
1-1/2 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Oil
4 Cups Water

1/2 RECIPE

1 Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
1/2 Box Chocolate Fudge Pudding
1 Cup Flour
3 Eggs
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 Stick Butter or Marg.
3/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Oil
2 Cups Water

Cream Butter/Marg. oil and sugar together. Add eggs mix until blended. Add Cake mix, Pudding, flour and Baking Powder. Blend on low while drizzling in water in a thin stream. Mix until smooth (doesn't take long), and bake according to directions for your pan size.
Optional; fold in Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips.

I tried the chocolate with a couple different brands, got the best results with Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix.

Happy Baking

Shirl

I love WASC, but recently tried this version from the wilton site (uses butter instead of sour cream basically) and i actually prefer the texture of this recipe. The taste is quite comparable! And i prefer the taste of the chocolate version of this cake to the chocolate WASC. JMO. But I still really love WASC too.

Great Thread!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:37am
post #97 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Well, here is a DH RV mix flavor booster that I found here on CC: add a 4oz box of instant chocolate pudding, 3 tablespoons of light corn syrup (Karo), and 1 tsp butter extract.

But if you want to try too turn DH RV into a WASC version, I would add 2 T cocoa powder, a box of chocolate pudding, and maybe extra red food coloring. Using all vanilla would be fine. For more of a flavor boost use vanilla coffee creamer in place of half of the water.

(I usually make WASC RV by combining white and chocolate cake mixes and adding a ton of red food color. I'm not a fan of DH mixes).

Forgive me -- RV?? What is that?

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:07am
post #98 of 181

Red Velvet.

bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:37am
post #99 of 181

Ah!! And here I thought it was Royal Vanilla! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

MacsMom Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:42am
post #100 of 181

I've finally gotten the chocolate WASC perfected. I use Betty Crocker DARK chocolate, 1 pkg chocolate fudge pudding mix, 1-3/4 c flour, 1/4 c cocoa powder, 2 T corn starch, 3 cups coffee,... the rest of the recipe is the same (8 egg whites, 2 c sour cream, 2 c sugar, 2 t vanilla, 2 t Nielsen Massey's chocolate extract).

I do love the large quantity chocolate cake, but it is not dense enough for topsys.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:51am
post #101 of 181

For the dark chocolate I am guessing you can use half of each ing if you don't want such a huge amount of cake. Also, so that the kids can eat this you can sub the coffee for decaf correct? Thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipes! thumbs_up.gif

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:16am
post #102 of 181

Can't wait to try some of these recipes. Thank you all for sharing.

bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:53pm
post #103 of 181

Good Lord, who knew there were so many doctored cake mixes!! icon_lol.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:17pm
post #104 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCmomof3boys

MacsMom, .. Did you use WASC for your Avatar cake?

Yes, it's the only recipe I use. If I am doing a topsy I omit adding a pkg of pudding. If it needs more detailed carving, I add 8 oz melted chocolate--it makes it more dense while retaining moisture.

Thank you!!!! I thought I would be stuck with pound cake for my Topsy Turvys icon_cry.gif . I can't wait to try it with the melted chocolate, yum icon_biggrin.gif .

MacsMom Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:22pm
post #105 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelgirl

For the dark chocolate I am guessing you can use half of each ing if you don't want such a huge amount of cake. Also, so that the kids can eat this you can sub the coffee for decaf correct? Thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipes! thumbs_up.gif

3 cups of coffee distributed throughout 30+ servings of cake doesn't add much caffeine. I'd think the kids would be so worn-out and coming off of their sugar-rush after the party that they'd have no trouble falling to sleep.

vinman9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vinman9 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:28pm
post #106 of 181

I am new too, and have been afraid to venture away from the box cake mixes. Thanks so much for the recipes and the information that you have given! I think that I'll bake tonight!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:36pm
post #107 of 181

That is true! LOL icon_biggrin.gif Thanks again for the recipes! Can't wait to try them. thumbs_up.gif

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 9:52pm
post #108 of 181

One more question macsmom, please.

I have 3 two layers that I will torte. Do I need to use supports between the layers or will it be o.k. without.

MacsMom Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:24pm
post #109 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaK

One more question macsmom, please.

I have 3 two layers that I will torte. Do I need to use supports between the layers or will it be o.k. without.

So it will be a 3 tiered cake? Yes, always support one cake on top of the other, no matter how small.

Or do you mean you will have 6 layers of cake and 5 fillings? (Which would be a very tall cake!).

AnitaK Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:54pm
post #110 of 181

I baked 3 8inch square cakes that are 2 inches tall. I will carve the layers to resemble the shape of your cake and I was thinking I'd torte each layer (maybe not). If I don't torte and have 3 2 inch layers, do you think I should support the layers?

AnitaK Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:55pm
post #111 of 181

This is regarding the gift box cake in your "signature"

MacsMom Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:06pm
post #112 of 181

Oh! duh.

Nope, no inside support required. I just stacked the three 2" cakes without torting for that one. (2 layers of filling - well, that's obvious).

AnitaK Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:23pm
post #113 of 181

Thanks - I think I have enough info now to complete my project.

I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

sweetkisscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkisscakes Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:08pm
post #114 of 181

macsmom what do you use as a filling for your orange dreamsicle cake?

MacsMom Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:17pm
post #115 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetkisscakes

macsmom what do you use as a filling for your orange dreamsicle cake?

It's reminiscent of the Hostess cupcake filling. I simply beat two packages of cheesecake pudding mix (or white chocolate) with a small container of Frostin Pride in it's liquid state, until I achieve a thick enough consistency.

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:07pm
post #116 of 181

frostin pride... what is that??I'm in ontario Canada don't think I have seen this : (

MacsMom Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:00pm
post #117 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugardivine

frostin pride... what is that??I'm in ontario Canada don't think I have seen this : (

It's similar to Bettercreme, but it has more of a vanilla flavor and it's a bit heavier. You can use Bettercreme, too.

You can beat the pudding into Cool Whip (or other whipped topping), but it is not shelf stable so it needs to be refrigerated and eaten within a few hours. It would be better to add it to heavy cream and sugar (homemade whipped topping).

sweetkisscakes Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:50am
post #118 of 181

do you prepare the pudding first or do you just add the pudding mix?

sweetkisscakes Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:57am
post #119 of 181

and would just a vanilla butter cream work with that? what would be some other things that would work?

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:48am
post #120 of 181

Macs mom:

Thank you so much for all of the flavor variations..my 12 year old saw the dreamsicle and coconut and requested those flavors for her cake next month.

Thank you again, that is very generous of you to share!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%