Fresh Flowers On A Cake

Decorating By Shirlcantuck Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 7:32pm by KoryAK

Shirlcantuck Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:53am
post #1 of 6

Can someone give me advice/instructions for putting fresh flowers on a cake. Do I wrap the stems or cut them totally off? The cake is for my nieces bridal shower and she wants real flower on a three tier round cake with the flowers on each level and the top.

Thanks!

5 replies
sayhellojana Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:29am
post #2 of 6

I've never done a cake with real flowers, but one of my books says to remove the stem, instert wire and wrap it with floral tape. This way, it won't leave huge holes in the cake but will stay put. HTH

kakeladi Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 6

Depending on the flower size & shape and the location on the cake you can just lay them on the cake.
Many flowers are NOT to be used on cakes........as they are poisonousicon_sad.gif If the cut stem puts out a milky, white substance it should NOT be used in, on or near food! If you choose to leave the stem on, then it must be wrapped in floral tape.

Malakin Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 6

You can buy floral pics which I put a little extra fondant in to hold it in place and then I sometimes place a little wax paper under them to where they wont touch the cake. You mainly have to be extremely careful not to use flowers that are poisonous, (there's a lot of them) and not with pesticides.

brincess_b Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 6

usually the job of preparing flowers for a cake will be left to the florist, i think. maybe check and see if the florist for the wedding can do something, it might be simpler!
xx

KoryAK Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 6

[quote="kakeladi"]If the cut stem puts out a milky, white substance it should NOT be used in, on or near food! [quote]

I'm sure thats good advice just cause I wouldnt want any stem junk leaking into the cake (for taste's sake if nothing else) but "milky white" isnt necessarily a tell tale sign for poison... dandelions are as milky white leaking as i have ever seen.... and they make salad out of them! icon_smile.gif

For me flowers (non toxic ones of course) get their stems clipped to about 1.5" then insterted into a longer drinking straw then into the cake. If they are a leaky trpe (like gerberas) then I will wrap the straw in press n seal (because its really good stuff and it will stick to the straw and not remain in the cake) or just fold over the end before insterting. Depending on the design, you can also make a separate floral layer for the cakes out of a 2 plate system and floral oasis where the flowers never touch the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%