Coloring Milk Chocolate

Sugar Work By sugarycreations Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 2:58pm by SecretAgentCakeBaker

sugarycreations Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:30am
post #1 of 7

Is it possible to color the milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate.? I have candy colors & powdered red. I want red hearts for Valentine's Day, but I really want them to be chocolate not the white chocolate.

6 replies
jescapades Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:31am
post #2 of 7

i don't think you can color chocolate unless you want black. maybe you can flavor the white chocolates to take like milk chocolate?

queenarmadillo Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 7

Its not possible because the brown of the chocolate is too dark. You could maybe try making hearts from milk chocolate, then dipping them in a thin coating of red white chocolate - this should be ok as long as you chill the milk hearts first so they dont melt in the white and mix colours.

I have also seen places sprinkle chocolate with a kind of red dust once dried to give it a red appearance on the surface. I have absolutely no idea what this is, but it tastes like some kind of red sugar.

CIApastrychef Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:18am
post #4 of 7

If you are using real chocolate, not the candy mold stuff, you need to make sure that your coloring is either powder or FAT BASED. The old standard coloring liquid/gels are water based, and your melted chocolate will seize, because, well, that's what water does to melted chocolate.

-Kristy

Bakki Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 7:18am
post #5 of 7

Just adding a comment of an experience I had the other week with trying to colour chocolate!
I tried to add red food colouring to melted choc that I was to use for piping on slices. But my desired rosey red shade disappeared and became a mahogony brown! So I started experimenting further & I tried Purple. It seemed to work & turned a dark rich purple BUT then started to colagulate?...[Is that the word?] ..so I shrieked & reached for the milk in the fridge, added a splotch & stirred like crazy & voila it got smooth again... Phew!
And so I was able to pipe deep browny purple designs on light choc slices. Turned out well! But a lil runnier than desired so I had to work fast! But the after effect was great with dark deep purple!

I do like the idea mentioned here of dipping the milk choc into White thats been tinted red/pink! How lovely!

Happy early St Vs day! Hope all works out for you!
icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

JohnBaker Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:07am
post #6 of 7

You can use colored coca butter in a air brush or even in a wagner painter. Look on Chefrubber.com. You can find just about any color you want there.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 7

If you are using a mold, you can put a thin layer of red-colored white chocolate (or red candy melts) into the mold first. You can put it on with a brush. Let that harden, then put in your milk chocolate (make sure it is not hot, as queenarmadillo said).
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%