Can I Get Your Opinion?

Decorating By KrissieCakes Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 11:16pm by KrissieCakes

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:26am
post #1 of 18

I see so many beautiful cakes on this site and usually the ones that grab my attention the most are the ones with a backdrop - no icing bags or highchairs in the background! icon_smile.gif I'm usually lucky to get a picture of my cakes as I run out the door with them, so unless I get a little more efficient, a backdrop isn't gonna happen! So I tried to "paint" out the background in a couple of my pics. What do you think? Does it look any better than the original? Thanks for your opinions!
LL
LL

17 replies
DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:30am
post #2 of 18

Actually, in my opinion, it does. Less distraction from the cake.

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:39am
post #3 of 18

yep, I like it painted out. Great cake! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

KrissieCakes Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:40am
post #4 of 18

Thanks! I was thinking so too, but I wasn't sure if my paint-job turned it into a hack job! icon_smile.gif

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:41am
post #5 of 18

yes, i just posted in the actual pick but definately more proferssional i think. i just use a black sheet slung over a chairsitting on my dinning table i place the cake infront of it ontop of a tin to elevate it then wrap the rest of the sheet around the tin to hide the tin i find this very effective and makes the cakes stand out and even the colours come up better in the photos as you can see the pink looks 'pinker' against solid black in your edited pic

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:46am
post #6 of 18

I must say...I am now inspired to paint out my icing bags and high chairs. I have some great cakes, in some not-so-great locations.

If you look at THanh-thanh pics, as well...you will see great cakes and great photography. In fact...she makes you wonder what the heck her kitchen looks like.

KrissieCakes Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:52am
post #7 of 18

I wish I was better at the photography part too. I take about a zillion pictures trying to find the right angle, get rid of glare, and get the flash just right. I seem to alway either have a flash spot on my cakes or they look really washed out. I have a decent digital camera...maybe the lighting in my kitchen is too harsh? Oh well...I'm no professional - photographer or baker! I only take the pictures for fun and I just bake for friends and family. That's why I'm always rushing - trying to get ready for the party that I'm supplying the cake for!

deliciously_decadent Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:00am
post #8 of 18

natural light is always best too, if i ever run late and take the pics te night before i hate them and always end up anpacking the cake and doing more, also take the photo as close to the cake as possible (unless you have a lovely backdrop you want to include) some of the best cake shots i have seen have been of only parts of the cake

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:01am
post #9 of 18

Lol...just today after seeing more great pics on here, I decided to build a lightbox. Check out a super wasy way to makes one here:

http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent/

A good picture makes a huuuuuge difference, especially if posting to a website for possible business, in my opinion. And so far, I can't take a picture to save my life. Maybe after I make my box, I'll have better looking pictures!

KrissieCakes Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:07am
post #10 of 18

The reason I want my pictures to look better is not for more business - I don't need more family asking for free cakes! icon_smile.gif It just makes me feel good to go into my photos and see two more people looked at my cakes or someone left me a comment! icon_smile.gif That being said...I wish that when you modify pictures that they would show up in the "uploaded today" section on the homepage! Makes me want to delete and re-upload just so that people will see them again, looking slightly better. I know they are still far from wonderful, but they do look better with the clutter gone!

deliciously_decadent Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:13am
post #11 of 18

i can't find a member called THanh-thanh to see her backdrops?

cakebaker1978 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:33am
post #12 of 18

Me either! lol That is the first thing I did when I read the post is look for her. I would liek to see her back drops too!

KrissieCakes Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:49am
post #13 of 18

I think she just goes by TT or something like that. How do you search for a member?

cakebaker1978 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:31am
post #14 of 18

You can search in the forum. Just click on forum and in purple it should say search, buddy list, Ignore List, Watched topics, Memberlist......click on this one "memberlist"...when you type in the member's user name and it should find it for u! Hope that helped....I am not very good at the whole step by step thing. lol.

KrissieCakes Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:54am
post #15 of 18

Ok, finally found her! It is spelled ThanhThanh. Here's the link to her cakes...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-ThanhThanh.html

I couldn't find her by searching the member list, but I remembered that at Thanksgiving she had about a million cakes show up in the "Thanksgiving Favorites" on the homepage! So I searched the Thanksgiving album. Didn't take long to find one of her cakes! icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:35pm
post #16 of 18

I definitely like the one that you painted on. =o) If I didn't know any better, I would think there was a black backdrop there.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:44pm
post #17 of 18

The one you painted looks great. I don't know how to do that. I just use a 3 sided black poster board.

KrissieCakes Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 11:16pm
post #18 of 18

Painting the background isn't too hard. I know that there are nice programs you can buy that would make it even easier, but I just use the "paint" application that came on my pc. I draw black rectangles to cover large areas quickly and then I outline my whole cake and board with the brush option. Then you just fill in any holes with the brush too. It doesn't work on all my old pictures but I have gone through and changed a bunch!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%