What's Your Favorite Cake Flavor/recipe?

Decorating By handymama Updated 15 Jan 2009 , 6:17am by eldag0615

handymama Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 12:03am
post #1 of 10

I am so, so tired of the same old white, yellow, chocolate etc. cakes., even though everybody insists they're wonderful. Recently I made a coconut cake from a recipe here and it was fine, but I'm looking for some cake recipes--preferably that begin with a mix--that are jaw-dropping amazing flavors. I know someone here had started trying all of the Cake Mix Doctor cakes and reporting back on them, but I think that thread got lost in "the crash of 2008" icon_surprised.gif . Please, fellow CC'ers, share your number one cake that makes the crowd go weak in the knees!

9 replies
kakeladi Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:32am
post #2 of 10

The Cake Dr's 'dreamcicle; cake (I'm not sure of the exact name) is great.
Butter Pecan mix is reallly great. If you cannot find that flavor, make it by using 1/3 cup ground pecans in a fr. vanilla mix (& if you can find it w/butter pecan pudding mix added). Don't be tempted to add more nuts, it doesn't help. I started w/a full cup and got it down to the 1/3 cup for best flavor.

JessDesserts Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:51am
post #3 of 10

the recipe I have is so old, idk where it originated from, but my vote is for Dreamsicle too.

My 2nd new fav is cookies n cream.

mmm-mmm-mmm icon_razz.gif

handymama Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 10

Two votes for dreamsicle--I'll have to try it! Thanks for the info on how to do the butter pecan. I hate to get everyone liking a mix flavor only to have it disappear off the shelves. (Who would have thought they'd quit making coconut!)

HeatherBecker Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:43am
post #5 of 10

If you are using cake mixes, I love to use the butter pecan cake mix by BC and then I use a cake mix extender.

hammer1 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:05am
post #6 of 10

our cake of the season is: pumpkin pie spice cake with pumpkin spice bettercream filling,cake iced with vanilla buttercream and ganached with semisweet chocolate . yummy....but oh the calories.

kakeladi Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:31am
post #7 of 10

Butter Pecan was a favorite when I had my shops. I too never thought it would be pulled from the shelves, but it was......at least where I was shopping so I figured out how to adapt the FrVan .

eldag0615 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:59am
post #8 of 10

"Butter Pecan mix is reallly great. If you cannot find that flavor, make it by using 1/3 cup ground pecans in a fr. vanilla mix (& if you can find it w/butter pecan pudding mix added). Don't be tempted to add more nuts, it doesn't help. I started w/a full cup and got it down to the 1/3 cup for best flavor."
Kakeladi: They sell butter pecan @ my walmart, so, do I make it according to the directions on the box but add butter pecan pudding mix? Do they sell that flavor? I have never looked.

HeatherBecker: What exactly do you use as an extender with the butter pecan mix?
Thank you for all your help.

HeatherBecker Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:10am
post #9 of 10

I just use one that I found on CC...I add an extra egg, a cup of flour, a cup of sugar, a tsp of vanilla and 1/2 cup of sour cream. I do this every time I use a cake mix....they are always very moist and taste great!

eldag0615 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:17am
post #10 of 10

Thank you, I am going to try it. I have to make a cake for my niece on sunday and she wants butterpecan, I am going to try it like this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%