Help!! Please

Decorating By catin Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 5:26pm by solascakes

catin Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 15

I was saw a beautiful cake on flickr.com that I would love to replicate for my daughter's birthday ( she just loves ponies ). But my problem is , HOW and Where to I start .

I need help ...

here is the cake I saw
LL

14 replies
catin Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 15

Her Birthday is in 14 days ..and i really need some advise or even instructions ... like that I can prepare . Anyone!!!

lapazlady Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 15

What a charming design. Doug, can you help with templates?

mkolmar Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 15

I'm no where near a pro, but my best bet would be that the head is either rice crispy treats or styrofoam cut to the shape, stacked cakes carved for the body and hind legs. Rice crispies, fonant/gumpaste for the front legs.
Looks like it was covered in a dark brown fondant. Once you lay it start using your ball tool or another tool to make the marks for the horse hair before the fondant dries.

Sorry, I may be totally off for this one, but that's what I think it looks like to me by the picture posted. PM Doug because he is excellent at templates.

Doug Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:27am
post #5 of 15

mkolmar has given very good advice.

to which I'd add ---

create a heavy wire or wood dowel armature that can be inside the cake supporting the head which I too would make from RKT.

in the diagram, the armature is that set of black lines. note how it has a slanted support that goes into the cake board -- this I'd be sure was attached very firmly so it wouldn't lean over under the weight of the RKT.

then is has a vertical support off which branch little arms that help to support the head.

the body is just two layers at least stacked and carved.

the back legs and front legs are just added sections of caked that have been carved and for the back half of the head I'd take a round layer and quarter it, then stand on edge and carve.

HTH
LL

maimai16 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:42am
post #6 of 15

great illustration doug... thumbs_up.gif

my daughter loves horses... this will be one of the long list for her birhtday cake....

scoutmamma Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:53am
post #7 of 15

just a question, but could you use the wilton lamb pan as a foundation?

here's the link to the website...

http://www.wilton.com/shapedpan/Stand-Up-Lamb-Pan-Set

HTH

catin Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 15

Thank you so much everyone for the great advice . Doug your the best !!

I be sure to upload pictures of it when its done . Hope its not a nightmare to do ...hehe!

Julie icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 15

Dang Doug...you da' "mane"....lol. snicker snicker.....ok, I'm done.

Doug Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmamma

just a question, but could you use the wilton lamb pan as a foundation?

here's the link to the website...

http://www.wilton.com/shapedpan/Stand-Up-Lamb-Pan-Set

HTH

yes, if she has it she could...

BUT...

that pan is notorious for "spontaneous decapitation"! -- that head just loves to break off all by itself.

so even then, an internal support would have to be created to hold the head, especially in this case where the head is so large.

scoutmamma Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 12:11pm
post #11 of 15

thank for the reply... now i want to try this little philly too!

catin Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 11:12pm
post #12 of 15

I finish it ... its my 2nd 3D Cake but my first one with fondant and so detailed . I would like to Thank Doug for the Diagram ... Take a look I know its far from the picture I posted a while back but I tried ...I learnt alot from this one .
LL

klutz Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:23am
post #13 of 15

that looks great! how do you attach an armature at that angle without it breaking off?

brincess_b Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:09pm
post #14 of 15

that is great! i bet she was delighted icon_smile.gif
xx

solascakes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:26pm
post #15 of 15

catin that was an excellent job,wow, i could never carve anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%