Wow, A Filled Cake Is Heavy...

Decorating By rocketmom1985 Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 12:45am by indydebi

rocketmom1985 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 3

I made two cakes for a club meeting on Monday. One was Serious_cakes easy yellow cake and the other was a double chocolate cake from epicurious another cc'er recommended. Both were delish...nice and moist. For the yellow, I torted the 9" layers and filled with raspberry filling and bc. The 8" choc cake had twinkee filling and bc under the fondant. I wanted to stack them for my first stacked cake, but they were so heavy I was afraid they'd topple over!! I cannot believe how much they weighed! I wanted a moist cake, but maybe it was too moist? How do you guys add filling to these large stacked cakes and still be able to lift the cake? icon_confused.gif I want to do a wacky kinda cake soon, and will be doing a stacked cake for my wilton class 3 final, but now I am thinking my cake choices may be too heavy.

2 replies
ceshell Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 12:14am
post #2 of 3

I don't use the same recipes but yes, a filled cake is heavy! Just make sure your cake board is nice and strong (not flimsy cardboard) and be prepared for some serious hefting. I've only been doing 2-tier cakes but I torte them so there are 3 layers of the occasionally fondant. Sheesh, you need a trip to the gym for 2 weeks before hoisting one of those around!

indydebi Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 12:45am
post #3 of 3

Nah, no trip to the gym! I tell my 16 year old, who is always telling me I need to join Curves, that with this job I dont' need to join a gym, as I heft the 50# bag of flour over my shoulder and carry it into the shop, then return to the van to lift a 60# case of green beans, and then four 30-lb bags of potatoes. Oh ... and that 70# cake-box order that got delivered last week ... and it took TWO ups guys to carry it in? Yeah, I'll get that one next!

A gym .....! Why would I waste the money? icon_eek.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif God bless her little heart anyway!

Quote by @%username% on %date%