Practice Cakes

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 11 Jan 2009 , 2:54pm by snns

hailinguk Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 18

Hello everyone,

After completing my first cake yesterday I really want to make another one but don't have a reason to yet!

I read somewhere that you can get cake dummies. I'm assuming these are to practice on? Can you cover them in fondant and decorate like you would a proper cake? If so, once it's finished how long wil it last for? Do you use them as examples to show people what you can do?

17 replies
ladybug76 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 18

You can use the dummy cakes to cover with any medium.... BC or fondant. For the most part, I have dummies which are several years old. As a money saver, I know some people cover the cake, decorate on one side then flip to other side and decorate for another occasion... just to get the most out of one cake dummy.... take pictures of both side; therefore you didn't 'waste' decorating the whole cake since only one side shows on pictures anyway. Once a cake dummy is decorated, you can 'wash' the fondant or icing off my simply soaking in sink with warm water (until fondant melts off) or I even heard you can place them in the dishwasher and start all over again!! icon_lol.gif

Have fun!!!
~ Jaime

hailinguk Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 18

Perfect, thanks Jaime. I didn't even think of taking pictures of it!!!

So excited to have a go at another cake!

dmich Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 18

Do you guys have a favorite place to buy your cake dummies?

I am looking forward to the idea of practicing decorating without the extra time and clean-up involved in baking.

CakeDiva73 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 18

Another CCer also told me of cheap cakes if you cant get your hands on dummies - take a box of cheapie cake mix and add one can of soda, mix and bake as normal. They are wicked cheap (less than $1 baked) and you don't need to waste eggs and oil, etc. They actually don't taste that bad if you want to eat them (I tasted the top) use coke with chocolate cake or generic 7-up with either white or yellow.

I sometime use this method with frosting that is no longer tasty and then practice fondant cakes.

hailinguk Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 18

Ohh interesting - I might give that a whirl if I can'r find a cake dummy tomorrow!

Thanks for the tip.

j-pal Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 18 has cake dummies starting at .60 cents for a 6x4. They have round, hex, square, oval, triangle, sheets, petal... and more. They have pillow shaped and dummies with rounded edges. They're about the cheapest I've found anywhere. Good luck and happy decorating!

dmich Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 18

Thanks, j-pal.

hailinguk Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 12:11am
post #9 of 18

Oh I wish there was somewhere in London selling them that cheap! icon_smile.gif

hilly Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 12:16am
post #10 of 18

I just ordered my first set of dummies from and they literally had it on my doorstep in less than 2 days. I have no idea how but I'm pleased thumbs_up.gif. I can't wait to start practicing on them. The shipping was high but they don't mess around! LOL

cakeandpartygirl Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 12:30am
post #11 of 18

Thanks for the info I have bookmarked the page. So I will have it handy to use it when the time comes!!!

Uniqueask Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 12:46am
post #12 of 18

Thanks J-pal

Ruby2uesday Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:09am
post #13 of 18

Cool~ thanks for the site! Just ordered 4,6,8,10,12 in both round and square and it was only $28 WITH shipping! Right on!!!

tdybear1978 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:22am
post #14 of 18

i get mine from dallas foam also, the cheapest I could find around

dmich Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:32am
post #15 of 18

I just ordered a round set from them and couldn't believe how reasonable it was! I'm so excited to receive the set and start practicing.

snns Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:41am
post #16 of 18

can we use cake pans for the pics and use it to show your work....?

7yyrt Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 7:42pm
post #17 of 18

Yes, you can just frost a pan. Practice frosting can be just powdered sugar and Crisco, scraped back in the bowl and used again. That is by far the cheapest way to go.

I make 8 inch cookies (using my cake pans as cutters) and give them away. They can be frosted and decorated just like the top of a cake.

snns Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:54pm
post #18 of 18

thank u 7yyrt icon_smile.gif for those ideas....

Quote by @%username% on %date%