Design Question! All Opinions Welcome!!!

Decorating By cakesbyjen Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 1:25pm by tripleD

cakesbyjen Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 11

so i've started thinking of a cake to do for a wedding show in a couple weeks, they are having a gallery which the brides will walk through and vote on the best cake....

anyways, i've come up with one design that i kind of like, but can't decide if i should put extra flowers scattered on the scroll work or in random bunches in the blank spaces between the scrollwork...

in my mind, the cake is white, the scrolls and initials are black, and the flowers and some random embellishments on the initials would be red....

does this idea look outdated or overdone or what are your thoughts on scattered flowers, in the scrolls or not... just wanting to see what everyone else has to say before i pitch this idea to my boss... thanks!!!

10 replies
-K8memphis Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 11

Omg it's beautiful, pitch away.

sugarwishes Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:04am
post #3 of 11

Beautiful. I love the scattered flowers. I think if you added more it would take away from the beautiful scroll work. I love it just the way you drew it!!

bellabiaggio Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 11

I love your design! I do not care for black/white/red, but that is just my personal opinion. I would probably go with hot or light pink or yellow flowers because that would draw me to that cake if I was a bride-to-be. Good luck!

wandapoo Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 11

Love the design. I personally don't care for those colors either, but they are really "in" right now. I've done one with red roses on top, and it came out striking!

millermom Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 11

I'm a "less is more" when it comes to wedding cakes. I would be afraid that th scattered flowers would detract from the main design. But that's just me.

This is a gorgeous design either way. Best of luck at the bridal fair! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 11

I LUV black and red together on a white cake! At a show, you want something that is going to POP! and get their attention!

I understand the "less is more" concept, but to me, a wedding cake should stand out. (I really hate the plain, squatty-stacked, no color cakes that brides are selecting. But after hearing from my brides that some places charge almost $75 JUST to wrap a ribbon around the base, I'm seeing that brides may not really LIKE the plain look, but it's what they can afford.)

Anyway .... you know how at the Paris fashion shows, the outfits are really "out there" .... they're "out there" to get the buyers' attention.

Give that cake some POP and get their attention! Dont' make your cake look like just another cake, or look like everyone else's cakes. Be a trend setter, not a follower! thumbs_up.gif A few flowers is not going to detract ... I find my cakes look WAY better once the flowers get added! thumbs_up.gif

morgnscakes Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:33am
post #8 of 11

Your sketch is gorgeous. I'm with indydebi, I love black,red and white together because not only does the red POP, but brides can look at it either way...classic or modern design.

I do think that you need something to get the attention of the bride, so some scattered flowers would make it definitely original, but I would not overdo it because you don't want to take away from your beautiful scrollwork.

The only thing that I would suggest is, if you wanted to go with different colors (although I love the black,white and red) is that chocolate brown, hot pink or fushia and ivory are in this year!

I say go for it...pitch away!!! Good luck!

cakesbyjen Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:03am
post #9 of 11

thanks to all the helpful comments!!! after much consideration, i did change it to chocolate brown and a light pink, because i'm already taking a hot pink cake... lol but i changed the middle tier to be extra tall and i think it makes it that much more unique!!! the show is this sunday so we'll see how it goes!!!

bellabiaggio Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:08pm
post #10 of 11

Gorgeous! I love it! Good luck at the show icon_smile.gif

tripleD Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:25pm
post #11 of 11

beautiful. hold you head high. What a great design thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%