???already Baked Cake, But Date Got Changed???

Decorating By chikie Updated 11 Jan 2009 , 3:26pm by bashini

chikie Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 9

I have a question...I had a cake due Sunday...I baked the cake yesterday and wrapped them and put them in the fridge...I was going to fill and crumb coat tonight...Well, the lady called today and said the party has been postponed untill next Sat. Do you think if I put them in the freezer the cake will taste the same or should I start over and bake new cakes closer to the date?? She said she would pay for the ingredients if I need to bake new cakes.

8 replies
indydebi Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 9

Yes, they should be fine. I wrap mine in saran (not sure if it makes a difference, but I use the commercial grade saran from sam's ... not that nasty stuff that they sell in the grocery). That was nice of her to offer to pay for the materials, though. You don't see that often.

Mencked Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 9

I agree with indy--I freeze lots of my wedding cakes about a week before the event because I work full-time and sometimes there's just not enough time in a day. They really would be fine if you do freeze them--don't worry.

cupcakemkr Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 9

Freezing it will not pose a problem, make sure it comes to room temp before frosting though

I agree - it was a super nice thing for her to offer to pay for the ingredients, not many a person would.

chikie Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks everyone! I thought that was really nice of her to offer to pay for the ingredients too.

Thanks a bunch!

cylstrial Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 9

Honestly, I think freezing cakes makes them more moist!

tuffstuff Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 1:16pm
post #7 of 9

I just started using Glad press n seal (bought 2 huge rolls at Sam's) and I love it. I only use one layer as opposed to 3 or 4 with regular plastic wrap. The cakes were totally fine. Not dried out at all. (But they were only frozen for a couple of days).

JenniferMI Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 9

They should be fine, just wrap them well and make sure you don't have anything in your freezer that smells. Cakes absorb oders.

Jen icon_smile.gif

bashini Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:26pm
post #9 of 9

Freeze it! there won't be any problem. It will be ,moist as a freshly baked cake. Exactly the same thing happened to me few months back. When my friend called to say the date has been changed, I have done the filling already. But I froze it with the filling. When I use it the week after, it was absolutely fine. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%